• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Vista CD copy?

Reck

?????
Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Hey my friend is giving me a laptop next week at band camp... but i think it has windows 95 or something... My main computer has windows vista home premium. I am wondering if it is possible to make an install CD from my home computer to install vista on my new laptop. My home computer had vista pre-installed when it was bought.

So basically can i make an install CD from my existing computer and how?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Hey my friend is giving me a laptop next week at band camp... but i think it has windows 95 or something... My main computer has windows vista home premium. I am wondering if it is possible to make an install CD from my home computer to install vista on my new laptop. My home computer had vista pre-installed when it was bought.

So basically can i make an install CD from my existing computer and how?
    1. AFAIK, it's impossible to make an install CD if you don't have an install source.
    2. It's illegal to use a single-license copy of Windows on more than one computer.

I can suggest a few legal alternatives:
    1. Xandros is a distribution of Linux made to feel similar to a Windows installation. Unfortunately, the Home and Home Premium editions seem to be unavailable, leaving only the expensive professional edition. You can find that here if you're interested (for the most part, you can ignore the "Microsoft Patent Protection").
    2. Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux designed to be relatively user friendly and easy to use. There is a great deal of free (gratis and libre) available for Ubuntu, and Ubuntu itself is also free. There are three editions you might be interested in: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. Xubuntu is designed for older hardware in mind; there should be screenshots for each version on the linked pages.
    3. Or, you could always simply buy a new Windows CD and license. If you have a relatively powerful laptop, you can get Windows Vista Home Premium or better right now (here; click the "Show Full Versions" if you do not have Windows 2000 or XP or some variant) and get a Windows 7 upgrade (more information here, FAQ here). Do a clean installation, regardless of which license you get. Or, you could wait until October 22 and buy Windows 7 on its release. If you have an older laptop, you may want to consider purchasing Windows XP (Home, Professional) or upgrading your hardware.

Last edited:

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    Plus if that laptop really is that old, it won't be running Vista! Might just be able to run XP, perhaps.

Back