• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Syn's Easy Way Of Inserting Tiles

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
  • Syn's Easy Way Of Inserting Tiles
    Well Not much of a noob, huh?
    Tools you will need:

• Character Maker Pro
    • Infran View
    • ROM
    • A-map
    • MS Paint

Before you even start the tutorial:
    Spoiler:

Now that you have a bit of knowledge we can begin the tutorial.

Step One: Selecting the "Right" Tile...
    Spoiler:

Step Two: The InfranView
    Spoiler:

Step Three: The CMP
    Spoiler:

Step Four: Actually Inserting The Tile(A-map)
    Spoiler:

Credits: Shawn for the original tutorial, FM for his amazing tiles

Last edited:

CosmicBlazer

Batman
    Years
  • This might actually help. It is more easier to understand than the old one. Thank you my friend. If you even want to be D:

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • This might actually help. It is more easier to understand than the old one. Thank you my friend. If you even want to be D:
    Thanks! Im glad you like it better than the old one :D, And surexP! But the fact That I did not make a map still bothers me xD!

Here is an explanation of the Pal's:
    Spoiler:

CosmicBlazer

Batman
    Years
  • Thanks! Im glad you like it better than the old one :D, And surexP! But the fact That I did not make a map still bothers me xD!

Here is an explanation of the Pal's:
    Spoiler:

Ok thank you for the tip. Once again great tutorial. Alright I forgot to ask this question earlier. Irfanview has a edit palette choice so couldn't we just switch the transparent color from there instead of CMP or do we need to use CMP in order to get the tiles in

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Good start to a tile inserting tutorial, all you need to add now is to add completely new tiles without replacing old ones (which is also simple, so I'm surprised it wasn't added for those that will go "but what if I want to add completely new tiles etc), and perhaps (this isn't tile inserting as such) animated tiles. Easy to read, and would help me if I was new to tile inserting.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • The tutorial is really nice, so congratulations for making it.

Idk how long you are actually tile inserting but personally I think that this methode is actually the best and for the most advanced tile inserters (since I use this way for years).

There is a way to skip the part with irfanview entirely with which you wont need irfanview at all, because irfanview sucks, it always gives the colors a bad look after you index it. Also that part where you have to change the transparent color and all that is annoying after a while.
    But you have to be pretty good at the MSpaint part, since you have to keep the number of colors below 16 by yourself.

Everytime you load a .png file to CMP there is a table to shows the palette used by it, if you only used tiles that are below 16 colors in paint, the brightest will be in CMP the first in that table (The transparent one). Thats why I always use white as transparent in paint.
    After that you can just go to Palette>Save palette, then it'll be saved as an .act file.

Just open A-map and go to the palette you were going to edit, then go to Block editor>Palettes>load current Palette from file, click on files of type from the bos that poped up and select Adobe color table .act, then you can select the .act file you saved with CMP.

With this you will have the same palette that the tiles had in paint, and arent duller from irfanview.

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • The tutorial is really nice, so congratulations for making it.

Idk how long you are actually tile inserting but personally I think that this methode is actually the best and for the most advanced tile inserters (since I use this way for years).

There is a way to skip the part with irfanview entirely with which you wont need irfanview at all, because irfanview sucks, it always gives the colors a bad look after you index it. Also that part where you have to change the transparent color and all that is annoying after a while.
    But you have to be pretty good at the MSpaint part, since you have to keep the number of colors below 16 by yourself.

Everytime you load a .png file to CMP there is a table to shows the palette used by it, if you only used tiles that are below 16 colors in paint, the brightest will be in CMP the first in that table (The transparent one). Thats why I always use white as transparent in paint.
    After that you can just go to Palette>Save palette, then it'll be saved as an .act file.

Just open A-map and go to the palette you were going to edit, then go to Block editor>Palettes>load current Palette from file, click on files of type from the bos that poped up and select Adobe color table .act, then you can select the .act file you saved with CMP.

With this you will have the same palette that the tiles had in paint, and arent duller from irfanview.
    I noticed this too, but I perfer Infranview and as far as I use it with those 2 boxes checked I have no problem :) But either way it works thanks for adding that ;)

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • Fk you and your sockpuppet-
    Hey I need this thread to be alive :D I get sh*tloads of pms for people to insert tiles :) I really enjoy these pm's NOT Is it that hard? I can re-edit this thread for more user friendly

CosmicBlazer

Batman
    Years
  • Fk you and your sockpuppet-
    Hey I need this thread to be alive :D I get sh*tloads of pms for people to insert tiles :) I really enjoy these pm's NOT Is it that hard? I can re-edit this thread for more user friendly

You might as well re-edit and make it easier if you keep getting so many messages. You should send them to the rom hackign resources and just get a rom base from there. Make them use those palettes to make it a little easier. Anyway, I just thought of this, but couldn't we export the palette from infranview and import it to AdvanceMap and just insert the tiles we need. Or no, i'm still a noob at this stuff but it's something I thought of.

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • You can't it has to be in act. file nice try i did this once it did not work :P By the way you can do what anbuja said just use white as the background color and save it as bmp then load on CMP and your all good from there no need for infran view

CosmicBlazer

Batman
    Years
  • I just tried it didn't work and I'll try that way when I get a chance right now I'm trying to figure out which rom base to use for my hack. Shows my laziness:p

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    hey man. I listened to what u said & then followed the end if the tut. I didn't work for me. here is what im talking about. No matter what I always get this. just out attachment.

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • Okay I get this error not often lol First load the palette then save the tileset1 and open it on paint, Open your tiles .PNG that you saved from CMP and paste the tiles on tileset1 then save it and load it on A-map it should work if not tell me;)

qaz015393

Years
    • Seen today
    it still didn't work. It said the .pal file is missing every time I loaded it the way you said to do it. It's driving me crazy. It's so dang buggy.

Crocky

SuperScarlet!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    Whenever I copy my tiles onto the tileset from advancemap, the tiles I copy turn gray. Why does that happen?

qaz015393

Years
    • Seen today
    Yep. I did & re did it a few times and gave up [since it became too late]. But I did at least ask someone to use your tut & they managed to do it :) [why does my laptop hate me lol].

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
  • Hmm, Thats strange are you using a-map1.95? I use that (Its not buggy one me ;P ) Yeah, So you can VM me all the steps you do? I could probably find out whats wrong

qaz015393

Years
    • Seen today
    thanks. but since I got someone doing the inserting for me I'm just not going to do it.

I did what u vmed me the other night, when we were teaching me. I must have dled a buggy version. Im sure if I got it from the same link u did it would work. It also could be my virus protection deleting something in it making it bug out on me.

But hey, Im sending your tut to others who say they don't know how to tile :)
    I don't have the time to.

cyndathrill

Intricate Minded
    Years
  • I seem to have a problem. I have my own custom tiles which I made myself and I followed your tutorial down to a T and it did what it was intended to do. Well, for the most part.. For some reason all of my blocks were still all kinds of messed up (much like the picture you posted in the last step of the tutorial) and it altered my map a bit. Also, for some reason only half of the tiles that I pasted in the tileset were actually there when I opened the block editor. But the good part was the ones that were there were usable and put on the map perfectly fine! But please help explain what I might be doing wrong if you would.

Back