• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you type properly?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I learned in Sixth Grade the proper typing method and have been doing it ever since. I type pretty fast as well, though. In the final exam for computer in Sixth grade which was typing, I got an over 70 WPM, which was the fastest in the class. I was hella proud :D

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Nope. I usually type with my index fingers, and I use my left ring finger/pinkie for shift/cntrl/alt or the right pinkie for backspace/enter.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I used to hunt and peck. Rom hacking changed that and increased my typing speed exponentially.

I type in a sort of way that's a combination of the "right" way and a bit of a freestyle since my hands move around a lot while typing.

Years
  • Nope, i don't even know if i ever learned that, or i did and forgot.

I pretty much use my right hand for majority of the keyboard keys, i don't trust my left hand enough i guess. I do type really fast, i actually do the typing competition thing if i'm really bored. My friends are quite surprised when they see me type. I do not look at my keyboard so i can sometimes make really stupid mistakes like words that don't even exists, most notably kik instead of lol.

Years
  • That method was drilled into our heads during elementary school and surprisingly, it stuck. I find that the most comfortable position to rest my hands and it's the best spot on the keyboard for being able to type relatively quickly, putting aside the potential of making mistakes that is :P So yeah, I've been using that ever since elementary school which is well over 10 years.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    I position my fingers on the ASDF and JKL:

since, keyboards are designed with marks on the F and J keys, this helps to type more quickly and accurately.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Eh, partially. My left hand is over the "ASDF" keys, but my right hand is hovering over the right side of the keyboard in no particular position. Not exactly sure why I do that, but I rarely make typos or anything, so it's not an issue or anything. I can type pretty fast, too. :D

Years
  • When I was young, my parents tried teaching me how to type properly by buying software that consisted of lots of typing games and tests. It didn't work. Fast forward to my Junior year of high school, where I had to take a basic computer course in order to take Web Design. Once again, we were taught the proper way of typing. Eventually, I just started typing my own way; helped me get the highest WPM in the class, too!

(Long story short, I don't type properly and don't plan to.)

Yukari

Yeah, I use the proper method. I tend to make a lot of typos though...

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I was never really taught how to type at school. I use my index finger on both hands to type, instead of using all/most of them as you have displayed above. However, I am able to type without looking at the keyboard once with ease.

Years
  • We never had lessons like that at school. Years ago, I attempted to learn it by using a program for that. The program was making an annoying sound whenever I hit the wrong key which was getting frustrating after a while. I didn't have the patience to continue. Now, I mostly type by using two fingers and I'm fine with that.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Freestyle is where it's at. I don't even look at the keyboard, because I've memorized all the keys, which isn't hard. I can type quickly, and properly, so I don't plan on using that method.

My left hand is always focused on the WASD keys (& the thumb on spacebar), tho. Gamers will understand. :)

USC Yuuka

The USC
    Years
  • I type correctly for the most part. The only thing I really don't type correctly for are the numbers and when I capitalize words. Apparently you're supposed hold the shift button down with the hand that the letter you want to capitalize isn't on, but I use the same hand... I also keep messing up when I play League after a while cause I'm so used to WASD from other games (*cough* mainly Hisoutensoku *cough*).

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • It's funny, I don't at all type correctly
    I use my index, middle, and occasionally my thumb to type
    I been getting used to using my pinkie to press Enter, but I'm abysmal at typing

Guest123_x1

When I first started using computers (and typewriters), I would just hunt and peck keys with my index fingers. However, since about 4th Grade, I began a long process of the 'proper' way to type, which lasted all the way through high school.
    Although, through all the learning and practice, I average at least 60 WPM and can rather easily break 100, I have a bad habit of using the L finger to reach and hit P (instead of using my right pinkie finger, as you're supposed to do.)

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I have a bad habit of using the L finger to reach and hit P (instead of using my right pinkie finger, as you're supposed to do.)
    Is that what you're supposed to do? Doesn't make much sense to me. The ring finger is stronger than the pinkie and reaches the P quicker and easier in my experience.

I don't know who decided what the rules are about which fingers are for which keys, and I don't think those rules are all that valid anyway. As long as you're using all of your fingers and your hands don't have to move too much, I don't think it matters if you use different fingers for a few keys than most people. Different people's hands and nerves are different; the important thing is that the way you type requires minimal thought and movement. It's not about memorizing a particular technique, it's about training your brain to match letters to easy movements.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Nope... I kinda used too. But then I just start typing with random fingers flying across the keyboard, usually works out well for me.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Well, I don't type quite properly because I usually typing with my own way, I guess I'm feeling more comfortable typing that way.

Back