• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Uproar is a little difficult to balance correctly because of this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Uproar

See, Spinda actually does legally have Uproar that early. It makes no damn sense for it to in 5th gen since the move is 90 BP STAB, but it does because nobody in Unova uses one so Game Freak didn't have to worry about it. Personally what I'd do is rework Spinda's movepool so it gets Uproar at a saner level, as the move has some (though not much) utility later for it being special 90 BP STAB, and Spinda needs everything it can get with its lackluster stats.

As for the cave, I'd kick levels up a notch. Unlike Boxer, Jack is using derps, and shows up at the very start of the dungeon, so I don't think it'd be a big deal for him to be closer to the previous leader's level instead of 9/10. 11/12 or 11/13 would probably be fine, as you're walking out of the Boxer fight with a nice pile of exp from both his mons and the rival's. Ramp up the trainers and non-Trapinch wilds to compensate, possibly moreso on the bottom floor as this is where you'll be training if Aiden gives the player a hard time (which will probably happen with all the grasses/bugs and Grovyle as a starter). I'm a little reluctant on advising you to buff Trapinch as it gets Arena Trap, and they already spawn at 9- fortunately not much is particularly vulnerable to it to my knowledge bar perhaps Zigzagoon, so I guess it's okay.

That said most of the above paragraph is speculation- I only know what I saw as someone rocking a Combusken shortly after the first gym. I don't think that's an unlikely scenario, as you fight a Heracross and a Dustox right beforehand and those are both worth lots of exp and weak to Torchic, but someone who's using a different starter (or who simply boxed theirs!) might disagree. The best advice I can give really is to just play the game yourself a few times with different teams, to see what parts you feel work and what doesn't.

Years
First of all, don't feel too bad about the bug because I've regained Jackson kinda
vu67N9R.png
3nyOnpR.png
iYOsf6h.png
0iRPb6T.png
XcnOcnJ.png
lwU2KeB.png
Damn it now I'm emotionally attached to your Jackson.

And it also let me reference Arrested Development due to the second, identical Psyduck
4ghGIiy.png
Yay! References to shows that I have never watched..!

which led me to find this minor bug (there's no more text after that)
MPwz25N.png
Fixed.

zj8umVX.png

I wasn't able to go back into this doorway. But I continued exploring so I'd know the layout once it's fixed.
Hm, that is weird, it has all the right properties in A-Map. I'll look into this.

1cFr69w.png

I ended up whiting out which led me here. Luckily I was able to load my savestate to before I went in.
Fixed. If you don't restart, then please go to Teal Village and just enter and exit the Pokémon Center to stop this from happening.

DxH2r8Y.png

But that led me to wonder if there was a move relearner so people like me who leveled Psyduck too far before the update could make it relearn the Water moves it missed.
There isn't one in at the moment but I might add one.

[
n2Rfe49.png

Anyways, I went back into the regular part of Gold Caves and this happens when you press A on the Strength boulder.
Fixed - in fact, I've changed this to a Rock Smash rock, as it's meant to be.

[
npZR4RT.png

I explored a bit and this happens on one of the tiles.
Fixed.

[
f1NMovF.png

When training Jackson (2) I noticed that Steamroller's description is glitchy.
Ah, I forgot to add to the "Things to note" list that the Gen 4/5 moves don't have any description yet.

[
9MKuhfn.png
UZyI1av.png

The move itself seems to work though.
Phew, that's good to knew.

[
01RBZop.png

Not an oddity. I just think it looks cool.
Aw, thanks.

[So yeah right now I'm getting the second Jackson up to the rest of the team's levels so I haven't made much actual progress past where I was before plotwise and I have work tomorrow at 11:30 so I'm stopping now but I'll resume tomorrow.

Also if it helps, I'm not that great with balance and level curves either. So you're not alone in that.
Jackson 2 will be dabes. I hope you have fun with the rest of the demo. And yeah I don't think it's an easy thing to do, I think Doesnt is a wizard.

The download link has been updated to include these fixes if you want to repatch (though they're mostly minor).

Years
Haha I forget why I named him Jackson in the first place but that doesn't matter right now because...

hvy9mtn.png

...he just reached level 25 which is where he was before! And now I can continue advancing in the game.

6eXqvmU.png

Also, I found someone to use Rock Smash without ruining their moveset: the one Pokemon I won't probably won't use since he's a clone.

Anyways, before I advance, here are a few more oddities:
Spoiler:

I have to go to work in like 5 minutes but I'll play more after work.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Hey there the beta looks really awesome !!! This is one of the best hacks I have seen around ( though I'd prefer a version of the game without fakemon :P ) Can you tell how long is the current beta ???

Years
Here's some more stuff:
Spoiler:

Years
K53Jgv0.png

This still has the Gold Poke Ball script
Ah, fixed.

xhB8MEM.png
0XP7IU7.png
WWzs4cy.png

Also the Rock Smash rocks respawn after you take a step.
Fixed.

0hgKfA4.png

This happened out of nowhere but it went back to normal after I got into a battle.
o.o
v7e0S49.png

This guy says he has Croagunk...

9Ekg76B.png
WU0vWXj.png

...but his team doesn't reflect that statement.

RZkFbpO.png

Similarly, this trainer says he has a Magmar but instead has a Poliwrath.
All fixed.

MMZAox8.png

Not really a bug but how do you sell Nuggets to the Bank? One lane is closed, one's the deposits/withdrawal, and one sells coins.
I actually forgot about that. I've not added it in yet, but it'll be added.

GcT2nNE.png

This is a map error.
Fixed.

XL8OETG.png

This happens when you walk in the doors in Devon that aren't Virtopia or the Meteor Mash room.
Fixed.

its not working for me....:(

does it work on phones?
I dont know, I've never used phone emulators. Try asking the Emulator Simple Questions thread.

Hey there the beta looks really awesome !!! This is one of the best hacks I have seen around ( though I'd prefer a version of the game without fakemon :P ) Can you tell how long is the current beta ???
I don't know how long time-wise it is, but it goes through around ten cities, four "dungeons" and three gyms.

FuwEAby.png

It's Hailing but Castform is still Normal.
No idea how I'm going to fix this.

MOxl6OA.png

Tim's backsprite is still Jumpluff's.
Added to bug list.

fpruG1q.png

Also I'm not sure if he's supposed to learn Cotton Spore or if that's just from Jumpluff's moveset.
It's a ram so it does learn it.

AQPtQfN.png

The Running Shoes can't be used here.
Fixed.

iFZ8kb7.png

No, get out of the water. What are you doing?
Weird. I think this is fixed now.

yzlqJ0s.png

Juan's sprite is glitched and there's a 1 instead of an exclamation point.
The sprite one might not be fixed. Also it's funny that Juan has a 1 in his speech. fixed.

JYhRCqD.png

Since I chose the Claw Fossil, shouldn't he have Lileep? Or does he just have Anorith either way?
Fixed.

yCUoASL.png

The Trick Master's house is glitched.
Fixed, though it's empty.

fCFnPLv.png
0HdWbYL.png

Both Chansey and the book have no script.
Fixed, though the book isn't meant to.

ZZ8fIos.png
H1DnumB.png

Tribbug's Pokedex entry comes up when Heatran is caught and Heatran has Celebi's menu sprite.
I didn't encounter the first bug, though I've fixed the second.

HZsnSlL.png

Not really a bug but a lot of Pokemon have ****** movesets in Gen 3 so perhaps you could skim through and give some more STAB attacks?
I've actually been doing this already, a list of the fixed ones can be found in the README when you redownload.

ri8OigJ.png

This happened.

1yLPBMq.png

So did this at some point.

yyypqoA.png

Although I re-caught the replaced Pokemon.
No idea how any of this happened, it hasnt happened to me. Maybe it's because of how many times you've repatched? idk.

Zufwbi1.png
TZaTSz1.png

Also, I have no idea where to go now.
Spoiler:

PREASE REDOWNROAD. Loads of Pokémon now have updated movesets, including Gen 4/5 moves. Gen 4 and 5 moves also now have their descriptions implemented.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I'm so glad this is still going, and you're taking the time to fix these glitches :) I've yet to play this but I've just downloaded the updated patch and will take it for a spin! :D

Years
Uproar is a little difficult to balance correctly because of this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Uproar

See, Spinda actually does legally have Uproar that early. It makes no damn sense for it to in 5th gen since the move is 90 BP STAB, but it does because nobody in Unova uses one so Game Freak didn't have to worry about it. Personally what I'd do is rework Spinda's movepool so it gets Uproar at a saner level, as the move has some (though not much) utility later for it being special 90 BP STAB, and Spinda needs everything it can get with its lackluster stats.

As for the cave, I'd kick levels up a notch. Unlike Boxer, Jack is using derps, and shows up at the very start of the dungeon, so I don't think it'd be a big deal for him to be closer to the previous leader's level instead of 9/10. 11/12 or 11/13 would probably be fine, as you're walking out of the Boxer fight with a nice pile of exp from both his mons and the rival's. Ramp up the trainers and non-Trapinch wilds to compensate, possibly moreso on the bottom floor as this is where you'll be training if Aiden gives the player a hard time (which will probably happen with all the grasses/bugs and Grovyle as a starter). I'm a little reluctant on advising you to buff Trapinch as it gets Arena Trap, and they already spawn at 9- fortunately not much is particularly vulnerable to it to my knowledge bar perhaps Zigzagoon, so I guess it's okay.

That said most of the above paragraph is speculation- I only know what I saw as someone rocking a Combusken shortly after the first gym. I don't think that's an unlikely scenario, as you fight a Heracross and a Dustox right beforehand and those are both worth lots of exp and weak to Torchic, but someone who's using a different starter (or who simply boxed theirs!) might disagree. The best advice I can give really is to just play the game yourself a few times with different teams, to see what parts you feel work and what doesn't.
Sorry for not replying to this, I must've missed it.

I think this moveset is slightly more balanced
Spoiler:

Though I think Doubleslap is a bit too OP.

In the most recent release I tweaked quite a few trainer and wild Pokémon levels and I think the level curve is a bit better.

I'm so glad this is still going, and you're taking the time to fix these glitches :) I've yet to play this but I've just downloaded the updated patch and will take it for a spin! :D
Nice! I hope you enjoy it.

Years
Spoiler:

Years
Spoiler:
haha I just completely forgot to finish those places. I'm updating them now.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
pokemon_firered_by_nintendork15-d6h3tyy.png

Not any major bug, just think it's worth the mention.
But, The Jack of Hearts will walk through the Camper if Camper stands on the tile, and the player on this tile.

Years
More stuff:
Spoiler:

Years
6K1mkCM.png
PCndWeZ.png
355eUQY.png
ed9SCEW.png
M4irSbK.png
zo0gdxs.png

Pretty much every warp is buggy. The one to the Felith Port Pokecenter works fine, however.
Jxdb6K7.png
6TJTlvU.png
VAP5TRS.png
brEjntS.png
PFKOnuy.png
e0JhuAE.png
DT4WL74.png
Gu7y4dF.png
All fixed.

93447Wl.png

Dozein's backsprite is still Aipom's, albeit darker.
The fakemon probably wont get backsprites anytime soon.

pokemon_firered_by_nintendork15-d6h3tyy.png

Not any major bug, just think it's worth the mention.
But, The Jack of Hearts will walk through the Camper if Camper stands on the tile, and the player on this tile.
Fixed.

jeLhbW6.png

No Pokemon appear in this grass (either that or I've been really unlucky).

UhYQxf0.png

You might want to check the gender ratios: Sonjack was a male before (s)he evolved.

5h5AlfE.png

MZTLQa0.png

No what are you doing? You'll get footprints on the wall.

66VB8Re.png

None of the scientists have a script.

xR3sJte.png
1q8EgTO.png
OjfsPDT.png

Virtopia works but it also doesn't.
Fixed, though I cant get the menu to display properly on the Bug Report (ironically). Only an aesthetic bug I guess.

EYD702U.png

I have no idea how this happened.
qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF qÁF

um, it might have happened because of patching issues? I dunno.

Redowload please.

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
Game froze when I tried to talk to the guy in front of the first gym.
I am loving this hack so far though, it's pretty fun!

HyperKiller

What if..?
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 26, 2023
Hate to jump in, but what he really means is the guy inside the gym, you know, the guy who gives advice to you about Boxer. The guy in the suit. With glasses. He's a male. He isn't a trainer, he's in every gym.

Yeah, that guy froze my game as well.

Also, is the SideSys points thing still being fixed? My Tribbug turned into my starter when the hiker guy gave me SideSys points. Other than that, the Meteorite which is now in the display case when you give it to the hiker disappears when you exit and re-enter the house.

Also, I encountered a Surskit with Intimidate when it should purely have Swift Swim until Masquerain (no complaints about the kind stat boosts, though.)

To top it off, there's nothing in the Hidden Grotto at the Indigo Hills.

EDIT: Saw the README about the SideSys thing. Also, I found that the Ace Of Hearts's Spinda still has Uproar at Level 8. Yes, I redownloaded the latest update when I found these bugs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2015
WGobjF1.png

There's a box on my head, Tile Bug

0kTbzSo.png

This Nidoran play's Chansey's Cry

7LduUei.png
D8jSYY2.png

When I enter Redburg's Town Narrow Path, it leads me to a cave.

Last edited:
Years
Hate to jump in, but what he really means is the guy inside the gym, you know, the guy who gives advice to you about Boxer. The guy in the suit. With glasses. He's a male. He isn't a trainer, he's in every gym.

Yeah, that guy froze my game as well.

Also, is the SideSys points thing still being fixed? My Tribbug turned into my starter when the hiker guy gave me SideSys points. Other than that, the Meteorite which is now in the display case when you give it to the hiker disappears when you exit and re-enter the house.

Also, I encountered a Surskit with Intimidate when it should purely have Swift Swim until Masquerain (no complaints about the kind stat boosts, though.)

To top it off, there's nothing in the Hidden Grotto at the Indigo Hills.

EDIT: Saw the README about the SideSys thing. Also, I found that the Ace Of Hearts's Spinda still has Uproar at Level 8. Yes, I redownloaded the latest update when I found these bugs.

WGobjF1.png

There's a box on my head, Tile Bug

0kTbzSo.png

This Nidoran play's Chansey's Cry

7LduUei.png
D8jSYY2.png

When I enter Redburg's Town Narrow Path, it leads me to a cave.

All fixed apart from the SideSys thing which is still being worked on.

redownroad

HyperKiller

What if..?
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 26, 2023
Redownloaded, and.... yeah, we have a problem.

I really hate troubling someone to fix something, but... Now, the Indigo Hills Hidden Grotto leads me to be stuck in a cave somewhere.

EDIT: Actually, all of them do. When I tried Indigo Forest's Hidden Grotto, I got warped to the same place.

Also, when exiting Indigo Forest, Ben has black hair instead of a cooltrainer's usual purple. When I go there from someplace else, it's purple.

Also, I found that my new Surskit still has Intimidate, and, uh, learns Gust at level 10. Is this purposeful?

EDIT 2: I found out that the Root Fossil (Lileep) in the Under Forest shows a sprite of Loudred instead of Lileep. In addition, nabbing the Root Fossil gains you a Storage Key instead. When I take the Claw Fossil, which is what I want, I get the Root Fossil instead. >.>

Are you gonna upgrade the Lileep line, by the way? They're not entirely useful in Gen III.

EDIT 3: *sigh*, the PC Nurse at Crimsonburg welcomes you to the Lilac City's Pokemon Center, not sure if this spreads at other places. Other than that, when your "rival" appears for the first time, he was invisible to me at one of the tiles.

Also, your rival won't give you the Egg unless you have 2 empty slots instead of 1. Where does he live, anyway?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back