• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You saved the princess, now what?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • How do you feel after you beat a game for the first time? Do you feel accomplished? Or are you sad the journey has come to an end?

I personally get really upset, haha. I just finished Tales of Xillia and responded by walking up to my cat angrily mumbling about finishing the game. On one hand something is off my backlog, on another hand, I didn't want the journey to end and I wanted to spend more time with those characters. They are all precious beebs. That's what sequels are for, right? I was upset when I finished Chrono Trigger last year as well. And I don't want to talk about how I was sad for three days after finishing Mother 3 the first time. I think I have problems, haha.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • If it's good, a mix of things. Satisfaction, assuming both the game and the ending were good. Sadness, because it's the end. There might or might not be more, but the experience is over (at least for now). I finished a lot of games this Summer, mostly games that I'd started years prior and finally got around to finishing (off the top of my head, Disgaea 3, Persona 3, and Devil Survivor), so the satisfaction was greater there because I ended up meeting this task that I started so long ago and when I finished, it was pretty lethargic. Even for Persona 3, surprisingly (my rage against The Answer only a day later was very strong nonetheless).

And for bad experiences that I see to the end on some merit that it had, true sadness sets in. For this, I point to Sonic 06. Sonic 06 was a wild ride of unimaginable horrors that starts out as a nightmare and ends up as whatever you take out of it. The badness becomes you, and that's when the fun (possibly) starts. And because of that, it's truly sad when it's over. It's silly, bug-ridden, and badly designed in a lot of ways, but it's so much of all of these things that it's one-of-a-kind. Games like this you'll go into bored or probably frustrated and come out seeing it on your shelf and wishing you could experience it all over again.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Sometimes when I beat a game, I unlock a higher difficulty. So I might replay the game on the higher difficulty level. Games that I know do this are the Borderlands games. When the game is beaten at Normal Mode, True Vault Hunter Mode is unlocked. As for beating the game at True Vault Hunter Mode, Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode is unlocked.

Course sometimes after beating a game, sometimes it leaves unanswered questions about what happened after words. I recall that after the first time I beat Mass Effect 3, it left me with quite a few unanswered questions. Unfortunately, thinking too hard about the unanswered questions caused me to have a brain overload, so I was unable to do anything Mass Effect related for a week.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It depends on the game. Usually I feel some sort of accomplishment, but whether I feel cheated, upset or profoundly relieved depends on various factors such as how long the game was, how engaging the story/cast was, and how difficult it was. The best games (Xenoblade) make me feel all three at once; I feel cheated and upset because it's already over, but at the same time I'm relieved because of the hell it put me through at points. The worst just make me feel cheated that I spent money on them in the first place...sequels like Disgaea D2 and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World often fall into this category as well, because they're nowhere near as good as they should be.

With a lot of games I come away feeling unsatisfied, though - I always want more. Xenoblade was infuriating because I never wanted it to end, and when it did I still had so many questions. When the Arland trilogy finally came to an end with Meruru I was more upset than I thought I'd be, because I'd gotten so attached to the cast, some of whom had been present across all three entries. I love and hate those types of games, aha.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Often times it's a bit of sadness that it's over, or sometimes a "hey I finally got that done". But never really any sort of sense of accomplishment.

Though today I beat Dark Souls for the first time and I.....didn't really feel anything at all. Though I can't wait to make a new character and play through the game again so I'll probably do that in a bit

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • well it depends on the game. if it has a bad ending, i get mad and think it's a waste lol. uncharted i was pretty sad the game ended everytime because i love that game so much.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I'm always happy to finish a game if I enjoy it. I mean I can just play through it again if I want to, even if it's a long game.

Years
  • "Oh thank goodness that's finally over, now that I'm done with that I can go onto the next game I have!" (in theory anyway, and usually if I am actually working on my backlog of games)

I'm not even entirely sure how I feel when I finish video games now. It ranges from just a sense of completion, of "oh god I finally finished it after all this time", to maybe getting a little bit of emotional stirring if it's an ending that's trying to hit me right in the feels. Although, actually, I've had more than just "a little bit" happen once recently - just with the voice acting involved, if I wasn't suddenly distracted by something else at that time and didn't have someone else around, I probably would have burst out sobbing right then and there.

But that's a rare occurrence, usually video game endings don't pull my strings that much and I'm usually just like "whew, finally over."

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I usually feel a sense of accomplishment, like arriving at the end of a long hike. The ending itself doesn't matter too much for me most of the time, but sometimes games where I get invested in the characters can lead me to some serious disappointment and longing for more.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Whenever I've beaten a game I feel like I've crossed a huge chore off of a small to-do list. I generally feel very accomplished and happy for myself. Part of it is because I tend to play games that are either 1) mega-long, or 2) mega-hard, so the pay-off ends up being spectacular. ;) I get so much joy from watching the ending credits, seeing all the people's names who poured their heart into their product.

A lot of people have mentioned that they get sadness from seeing the end of a game, but I don't think I've ever felt that. I mean, if you're sad that it ended, the game is yours, and you can always play it again... I guess the only time I've ever felt sad when a game ended was if the narrative wasn't resolved or it had a sad ending.

Often times it's a bit of sadness that it's over, or sometimes a "hey I finally got that done". But never really any sort of sense of accomplishment.

Though today I beat Dark Souls for the first time and I.....didn't really feel anything at all. Though I can't wait to make a new character and play through the game again so I'll probably do that in a bit
    How can you have not felt absolutely anything all after having played DARK SOULS of all things? ... Not the least bit of accomplishment or awe or anything??

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How can you have not felt absolutely anything all after having played DARK SOULS of all things? ... Not the least bit of accomplishment or awe or anything??
    Idk, I just didn't for some reason =(

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I feel accomplished, like especially when the credits roll. I get disappointed only if I can't continue exploring the land after I beat the game, if you get my drift.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The only game I really felt anything when I finished was Mass Effect. I just kind of sat there and looked at the menu for a couple hours as I tried to convince myself it was actually over. I didn't want it to be over, as I wanted to travel around the galaxy forever with Garrus, so I just spent the rest of the day moping around and wondering what to do with my life now.

Back