• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team help

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    I'm having trouble choosing the last 2 pokemon for my team.
    Right now I have Typhlosion, Lugia, Red Gyrados, and Dragonite.

I'm not sure what other 2 pokemon I should use...
    The pokemon I have and am sort of "iffy" about using are:
    Ditto - Shuckle - Golem - Nidoking - Dusclops - Shelgon - Tangrowth - Snorlax - Haunter - Dodrio - Poliwhirl - Kadabra

I am also thinking about using Piplup, Chimchar, Turtwig, or Bulbasaur but they are hatchlings and are only level 1....

Could you guys tell me the pokemon you have had good experiences with or think would help out my current team?

*~Thanks

*edit
    I am using the team to battle Red

Last edited:
    Years
    • VA
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    Well, it depends on what you're going to use your team for.

But if it's not specifically for anything, i'd suggest training up the Chimchar. I've had good experiences with my Infernape in Pearl.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Looking at your team, you have 4 pokemon that are all weak to rock. Select a pokemon that would be strong against Rock types. I'd suggest a Steel-type.

For the last slot, I'd give it a bit more variation on types and go for Electric or Grass types. If you're going with grass type, I'd just train Turtwig to get Torterra. It's a fairly good pokemon to use. It can also cover your omnipresent rock-type weak pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    thanks for the help, but I am trying to get a good team to challenge Ash. erm...I mean Red

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
  • A mismagius would be good teach it a electric type to take down his pesky lapras and blastoise. Then maybe get a Medicham and teach it ice, fire, and thunder punch. I think it also can learn close combat if not then have it know high jump kick. Remember his pikichu is fast but easy to take down.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • thanks for the help, but I am trying to get a good team to challenge Ash. erm...I mean Red
    Oh... Then I'd have to change my answers a bit (actually a lot!).

First, get a pokemon who can summon another weather condition. 100% Accurate Blizzard can be very annoying (plus the damage you have to take every turn).

Pikachu - Don't be intimidated by its level. Steelix is probably its best counter since it can resist all 4 of its attacks and hit back with STAB earthquake to hopefully OHKO this mouse.

Lapras & Snorlax - Get a fighting-type pokemon to deal with these. Lucario would be a good choice to counter both of these and hit back with close combat for huge damage
    [EDIT] If you don't think you can get a Lucario, use a Bronzong. It can wall their attacks relatively easily and can hit back with powerful Gyro Ball.

Venusaur - Your Typhlosion could probably take care of this beast, but beware of its Sleep Powder and Sludge Bomb.

Charizard - Your Lugia would probably wall/stall this all day. With its impressive 154 Special Defense, it wouldn't take much damage from any of its 3 Special Attacks. Flare blitz could be a bit dangerous but just use Reflect. Hit Charizard back with Electric-type attack or even STAB Psychic and this thing will faint in no time.

Blastoise - Coupled with its 100 Sp. Def, Gyarados is probably its best counter you have. It's resistant to 3 of the 4 attacks that Blastoise throws at it, and you could use couple Dragon Dance boosts to outspeed and hopefully deal large damage to it each time with its attacks (besides Waterfall). Fast Electric-type pokemon could take care of this beast as well, though Blastoise does have a bit of bulk, so be careful.

Last edited:

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • I would find a way of countering rock types right away since all 4 of your Poke's are weak to it. I'd use either an other water type (besides gyarados).

Ah, Red. So incredibly easy if you know what your doing. In my SS I used a Level 65 Feraligatr, 64 Skarmory, 66 Ampharos, 71 Mewtwo, and a 59 Snorlax used mainly for stalling, and a rock climbing hm slave, which was a level 41 graveler. His Pikachu is a glass cannon, very easily OHKOed with a ground type move, the problem is, his speed. He'll out speed just about anyone who isn't up there in levels, but if you can resist his attacks, he'll be a piece of cake. Snorlax is a tank, burly with a ton of hp. A strong Pokemon like Machamp or Lucario will put this guy in place in a few hits, and it'll also take care of Lapras, who is also burly with a ton of hp. Just watch out for Lapras' Psychic, because Red is sure to use it against a fighting type, who wouldn't? But then again, it's a cpu, and cpu's can make the stupidest mistakes. Charizard has quad weaknesses to rock, so a strong attack like stone edge or rock slide will be overkill for this fire-breathing monster, plus like the mentioned Machamp, he can learn stone edge. But I'd recommend using Lucario. Venusuar will go down rather quickly with Typhlosion's eruption or even flamethrower. And Blastoise will go down with a strong special electric attack, such as thunderbolt or thunder punch. I wouldn't recommend using Dragonite in that battle, mainly because he has quad weaknesses to ice attacks, and 3 of Red's Pokemon can use them, and blizzard will really hurt! And try to have your team atleast in the mid 70's in levels, unless your looking for a challenge, go even lower, because it is possible, I did it.

Here's what my personal team does to Red:

Pikachu: My Charizard fries this mouse with flamethrower.
    Snorlax: Mewtwo's Aura Sphere takes care of it in 2 hits.
    Blastoise: MY Pikachu's Thunderbolt is a OHKO.
    Charizard: Once again, Pikachu's Thunderbolt is a OHKO.
    Lapras: Gotta use Volt Tackle for this one, but still a OHKO.
    Venusaur: Charizard comes to play again and finishes it off with Flare Blitz.

Before you ask, yes I use a Pikachu as well, and it's very deadly. It holds the Light Ball just like Red's, and it's Level 100, and alot stronger than Red's. He takes half of Red's team out by himself and OHKO's them too. He's my favorite, and I love him. Like the quote says in my sig, try to win with the Pokemon you love best! :)

Back