• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Competitive Breeding

Years
I am sure that there is already a thread somewhere that talks about this, so if there is, could you just link it here for me.

I basically want to know if there is some sort of beginners guide to breeding for competitive play. Like a step by step guide on what to do from choosing the right pokemon to breed and how many times to breed before you are satisfied. I don't know if that was clear enough cause I am not even sure if I know what I am talking about. But I guess I don't know where to get started with breeding. I know there are some mechanics like the mother is what species the child will be, and something to do with holding an everstone will transfer the nature to the child. I don't know much about egg moves and which moves will get passed down. IV's I know are random to a point, but I believe with destiny knot (I may be completely wrong) it passes on a random 5 IV's from that parent, so if it is someone who has some perfect IV's then that would help. I do know about Flame Body and Magma Armor helping to hatch eggs faster. I also believe that when breeding a pokemon who has parents from two different languages, it drastically increases the chance of hatching a shiny.
Basically I would like to know any of those rules like I mentioned and ones that I don't know so I can figure out how to get started with this.
Any help would be appreciated, even if you can just give me a link to somewhere else so I can do my research.

Thanks again!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Everstone: Passes down nature (100% rate) from parent holding it
Destiny Knot: Passes down 5IVs randomly from both parents at random

Whenever I look at Egg Moves for my Pokémon, I look at Smogon's website for ideas on which Egg Moves are required for certain sets. I also look at the natures and abilities of the sets since it'd make them, theoretically, more valuable for individuals using sets from Smogon.

If you can get your hands on a 6IV Ditto, that's the easiest option. Then use Serebii to look at parents of Egg Moves listed on Smogon (you won't know what's an Egg Move on Smogon till you check it out on Serebii, like "Wish" on Vaporeon). Click on a parent that's listed to see how it learns it - breeding, Heart Scale, level up - and acquire a male with that Egg Move to breed onto your other Pokémon.

Always breed for IVs after Egg Moves. It's a wasted effort if you get perfect IVs but are still waiting on some EMs to come through. The IVs won't save from that parent to the offspring necessarily.

The more IVs pertinent to your Pokémon a parent acquires, the better it is. Say you get a Torchic with EMs, male, with 3IVs in HP, ATK, and SPE. If you get an offspring with 4IVs in HP, ATK, DEF and SPE then swap out the 3IV parent for the offspring. An offspring with an IV in the stat you do not need (SP. ATK in Torchic's case) is useless, so even if it's technically a 4IV Torchic with HP, ATK, DEF and SP.ATK it's not helping your case any by swapping that parent out, since you don't need SP. ATK on Torchic.

Use the NPC in Kiloude's Pokémon Centre to look at IVs. He'll list your highest IV and then state IVs that are of equal value, if any. So if after breeding, maybe your Ditto passed on HP, ATK and SP.DEF @31, the Kiloude guy would name off HP, ATK and SP.DEF and say that the stats "can't be beat" (something to that effect). In the case of Torchic, you want him to state HP, ATK, DEF, SP.DEF and SPE. If he says all six, then you've bred a 6IV Pokémon, so yay!

The overall potential should be extraordinary for the stats to be any good as well. If he says the Pokémon is decent and lists three stats, that means that those stats could all be 15 (not 31) and the rest are <=14.

There are some good guides if you look on Google, too.

Years
Everstone: Passes down nature (100% rate) from parent holding it
Destiny Knot: Passes down 5IVs randomly from both parents at random

Whenever I look at Egg Moves for my Pokémon, I look at Smogon's website for ideas on which Egg Moves are required for certain sets. I also look at the natures and abilities of the sets since it'd make them, theoretically, more valuable for individuals using sets from Smogon.

If you can get your hands on a 6IV Ditto, that's the easiest option. Then use Serebii to look at parents of Egg Moves listed on Smogon (you won't know what's an Egg Move on Smogon till you check it out on Serebii, like "Wish" on Vaporeon). Click on a parent that's listed to see how it learns it - breeding, Heart Scale, level up - and acquire a male with that Egg Move to breed onto your other Pokémon.

Always breed for IVs after Egg Moves. It's a wasted effort if you get perfect IVs but are still waiting on some EMs to come through. The IVs won't save from that parent to the offspring necessarily.

The more IVs pertinent to your Pokémon a parent acquires, the better it is. Say you get a Torchic with EMs, male, with 3IVs in HP, ATK, and SPE. If you get an offspring with 4IVs in HP, ATK, DEF and SPE then swap out the 3IV parent for the offspring. An offspring with an IV in the stat you do not need (SP. ATK in Torchic's case) is useless, so even if it's technically a 4IV Torchic with HP, ATK, DEF and SP.ATK it's not helping your case any by swapping that parent out, since you don't need SP. ATK on Torchic.

Use the NPC in Kiloude's Pokémon Centre to look at IVs. He'll list your highest IV and then state IVs that are of equal value, if any. So if after breeding, maybe your Ditto passed on HP, ATK and SP.DEF @31, the Kiloude guy would name off HP, ATK and SP.DEF and say that the stats "can't be beat" (something to that effect). In the case of Torchic, you want him to state HP, ATK, DEF, SP.DEF and SPE. If he says all six, then you've bred a 6IV Pokémon, so yay!

The overall potential should be extraordinary for the stats to be any good as well. If he says the Pokémon is decent and lists three stats, that means that those stats could all be 15 (not 31) and the rest are <=14.

There are some good guides if you look on Google, too.

Thank you Belldandy that was very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

In addition to what Belldandy posted, the Trade Corner does in fact have a 6th Gen breeding guide right here:

So if you wanted something a little more detailed, you can look at that too.

Thank you Zekrom, I will definitely take a read up on that and see what I do and don't know.

Back