• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Q&A Thread

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Because we just love ampersands here.

Have a question about writing that is small enough to be answered once? Something bugging you about canon that you know you've seen but don't know where? Need some clarification about something?

Pretty much, if your question doesn't involve discussions, then post it here.

hth

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Because we just love ampersands here.
I mean, who doesn't?

Anyway, glad to see this up. :D

So quick question: Does anyone know what exactly what the police are obliged to say in between witnessing a crime/arriving at the crime scene and arresting a suspect? I think it has something to do with telling the suspect to lie flat on his back and drop his/her weapons. I'm looking for a stock set of official phrases, really. Extra points if you can find the Japanese version (not in Japanese please). I'm really looking to avoid the hands in the air cliche because I don't think they do that anymore.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That would probably depend on the situation and the country. For example, in the US, if you're not armed, obviously, they won't order you to drop your weapon. They also don't always order you to lie on the ground. Sometimes, they might have you put your hands behind your head, put your hands on your car (if they happen to be prepping to search/arrest you at a traffic stop), or generally keep your hands where they can see them. Basically, common sense kinds of things, considering they want you to stand still and not grab for something to use for hurting yourself or anyone else around you.

Also, a bit of research pulled this up on Japanese arrest procedures: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7110b.html

While it doesn't give you stock phrases, it looks like it can point you in the right direction. It has, for starters, the right to remain silent, the right to a lawyer, and the right to contact an embassy (if foreign), all of which are also located in standard arrest warnings regardless of the country. ("You have the right to remain silent; anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law." And the other kinds of things you might hear in a standard police drama.) Only difference is the Japanese look like they'll question you with or without a lawyer present.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Oh good, now I won't look like an idiot double-posting.

What happens to Pokemon when their trainer dies?

I remember years ago when Pokemon was new and the Internet young that I read that when a trainer dies, their Pokemon dies with them. This has become part of my head canon since I've possibly read it. But I'm just double-checking to make sure that there's not a mention in any of the Pokemon canons that says I'm wrong. Otherwise, there goes my entire plot for a fic.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

I remember years ago when Pokemon was new and the Internet young that I read that when a trainer dies, their Pokemon dies with them. This has become part of my head canon since I've possibly read it. But I'm just double-checking to make sure that there's not a mention in any of the Pokemon canons that says I'm wrong. Otherwise, there goes my entire plot for a fic.

And now I have the mental image of an Egyptian burial. They mummify the trainer and then seal the corpse up in a tomb with their Pokémon and maybe traveling companions.

Seriously, this is a good question. I know that in the anime canon, there's been instances of owners dying and the Pokémon getting left behind to do their own thing. (There was a Gastly and Haunter that guarded an Orange League Champion's trophy years after he passed. And then, of course, there's Lokoko.) I'd imagine that modern-day practices take a more humane route and either have loved ones release the deceased's Pokémon or give each Pokémon to whoever can adopt one, depending on what the deceased wishes. They could just want that Egyptian burial, after all.

Pretty sure none of the other canon universes really address it, so you could have your headcanon work for one of them and get away with it. It's pretty much just the anime canon that establishes that Pokémon still hang around long after their owners pass unless their owners want an Egyptian burial.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Astinus said:

I'll not reiterate what's already been said (and I can't think of any canon examples myself) but it might have some logic to suggest that a pokémon dies of broken heart, after the loss of their trainer. It happens naturally in our world sometimes between two humans, and we're always told what a deep and meaningful bond pokémon and their trainers have. I'm not sure if this is a strong enough thread to follow, but it's my thoughts anyway.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing that qualifies for this thread, but I'll ask anyway.

What are some of your favourite pokémon fanfiction stories?

I realised recently that I actually don't read as much fanfiction as I do write, and it's something I'd like to change. Whatever genre they happen to fall into (unless it's excessive and constant gore), I'd like to get your views on what you think is some of the best pokémon fanfiction out there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
It's pretty much just the anime canon that establishes that Pokémon still hang around long after their owners pass unless their owners want an Egyptian burial.
And anime canon is what I write in. So I'll just be even more heartless and kill the Pokemon off as well. ~It adds to the plot.~

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing that qualifies for this thread, but I'll ask anyway.

What are some of your favourite pokémon fanfiction stories?

I realised recently that I actually don't read as much fanfiction as I do write, and it's something I'd like to change. Whatever genre they happen to fall into (unless it's excessive and constant gore), I'd like to get your views on what you think is some of the best pokémon fanfiction out there.
I'll say that this can warrant its own thread. Many people can post their answers, and we can discuss what makes a fanfic the "best" in our opinions.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Dec 15, 2013
It seems to me that it is in character for Giovanni to carry out experiments on humans as well as on Pokemon. A super crossover fanfiction known as Starting Anew I'm working on involves him doing such a thing. I just wonder if that's in keeping with his anime (namely his Kanto league) canon personality?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
It's actually more fanon than canon. In game canon, it's known (thanks to the Team Rocket motto in Gen II) that his organization in general see Pokémon as tools. Even in anime canon, while he does think of his grunts as pawns, he's more apt to perform Pokémon experimentation than human. It makes sense, though: a Pokémon can be controlled by a human being, whereas humans themselves can only be manipulated. Really, there's nothing in canon that states Giovanni would experiment on humans (and whether or not it would be in-character for him to do so is a matter of YMMV), but it's a popular plot in this fandom because it's an easy way to get human OCs involved in something big.

Or to give you a short answer, technically, it's not really explicitly in-character for Giovanni at all, but if you really want to think the anime's Giovanni would, it could be argued that any incarnation of that character who thinks of humans as pawns (i.e., all of them except maybe the one in PokéSpec) would as well.

Back