• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Building a Team w/ Protean Greninja

Zenovis

Greninja Joins The Battle!
Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2023
    Hello! I need some guidance in assembling a team with Protean Greninja, and here's his build...

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Extrasensory
    - Dark Pulse

So, any suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hydro pump/Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Grass Knot (if going solely for special moves) has the most Super Effective coverage (492 Super Effective against, 282 Neutral damage against and nothing Not Very Effective or No Effect on) (Although I personally also run Extrasensory instead of Grass Knot as well) and even though it's not a popular suggestion, I would actually suggest Expert Belt over Life Orb because there has been MANY times that changing my type and getting hit with an attack has left me with 8 hp or 12 hp or something and I could attack a second time. The move, even though super effective, has often left the enemy with around half HP so even with a life orb that wouldn't have Knocked Out the opponent, but by having the expert belt I got to bang off two hits while if I had used a life orb that extra damage would have caused me to get KOed in one turn anyway. Try both, but I honestly swear by the expert belt over Life Orb.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Are you planning to use this in Battle Spot or the Maison or Showdown or what? That can change things a bit.

Either way, Greninja appreciates having some sort of breaker on the team to soften up the opponent's team to make it easier to sweep. If playing on Showdown, a Stealth Rock setter is needed as well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If it were me, I'd likely choose Scald over Hydro Pump. Although it might not be as powerful, it does have 30-percent chance of burning the opponent; if they are utilizing a physical attacker, it could help setting up success for rest of our team members.

Zenovis

Greninja Joins The Battle!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2023
    Hydro pump/Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Grass Knot (if going solely for special moves) has the most Super Effective coverage (492 Super Effective against, 282 Neutral damage against and nothing Not Very Effective or No Effect on) (Although I personally also run Extrasensory instead of Grass Knot as well) and even though it's not a popular suggestion, I would actually suggest Expert Belt over Life Orb because there has been MANY times that changing my type and getting hit with an attack has left me with 8 hp or 12 hp or something and I could attack a second time. The move, even though super effective, has often left the enemy with around half HP so even with a life orb that wouldn't have Knocked Out the opponent, but by having the expert belt I got to bang off two hits while if I had used a life orb that extra damage would have caused me to get KOed in one turn anyway. Try both, but I honestly swear by the expert belt over Life Orb.

Umm actually I needed help choosing pokemon to add to my team that will go well with Greninja, not Greninja's moveset itself xD (I just posted his moveset if it helped)

In my post, I said: "Hello! I need some guidance in assembling a team with Protean Greninja, and here's his build..."

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I second using Grass Knot! It's a lot of fun on Protean Greninja. But to the topic on hand...

I'm currently using Greninja and Mega Kangaskahn at the Battle Maison and Battle Spot and I rarely ever get to use my third pokemon. They compliment each other well and they're both incredibly overpowered.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Since Greninja is special-based, perhaps we could try teaming it up with a physical attacker such as Scizor, Salamanca, and Lucario. If it is ever roadblocked by the likes of Chansey and Blissey, they could chime in and help take care of the issue.

Back