• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Would happen if there was no Moon?

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
  • Guys, What would happen to Earth if there was no Moon? I think nights get more darker in a moonless night. Any more Ideas?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Off the top of my head, aside from aiding us see in the night time, the moon's gravitational pull causes the tide. I'm not one hundred percent if I remember this right, but currently the moon's gravitational pull causes a bulging around the equator (or the general middle away from the poles), and the absence of the moon would result in the oceans "leveling out". Correct me if I'm completely wrong.

Moving away from science, plenty of people rely on the lunar system, basing their months off the moon. I actually asked the very same question to my girlfriend the other day, "what would happen to Islam if the moon just vanished" (Islam follows a lunar system). To be frank, I'm not really sure what would happen, but chaos at the very least I'm sure.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Asie from the tides being gone (and the oceans probably levelling out), its been theorized that the Earth's wobble would also go out of balance. Not right away though, but during the millions of years after it, the Earth's wobble would become unstable.

That is, if the moon was completely gone. If it was like, blown up, the pieces would probably circle earth as a ring system and over time would form a new moon, just like it did during its creation.

Actually, the moon is really slowly moving away from us. After its formation it was so close it filled a good portion of the night sky, now billions of years later, it's a much smaller disc.
    That won't happen for another few billion years though, so no life would actually experience this, since life on Earth will probably die out in about 500 million years-1 billion years when the sun will start to become a red giant.

Years
  • Off the top of my head, aside from aiding us see in the night time, the moon's gravitational pull causes the tide. I'm not one hundred percent if I remember this right, but currently the moon's gravitational pull causes a bulging around the equator (or the general middle away from the poles), and the absence of the moon would result in the oceans "leveling out". Correct me if I'm completely wrong.

The bulging around the equator is caused by the rotation of the Earth, while the tides are caused by the moon. It's really interesting you pointed out the impact losing the moon would have on calendars, because it would affect so many cultures and calendars. It would also completely destroy the concept of months.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • That won't happen for another few billion years though, so no life would actually experience this, since life on Earth will probably die out in about 500 million years-1 billion years when the sun will start to become a red giant.
    IIRC the sun is expected to start to become red giant after about 5 billion years (currently the sun is about 5 billion years old which is middle age for that kind of star).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    We'd also get hit by more rocks. The Moon's gravity intercepts many asteroids that would otherwise hit Earth (I seem to recall 40–50%) and either flings them away or takes the hit instead.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • IIRC the sun is expected to start to become red giant after about 5 billion years (currently the sun is about 5 billion years old which is middle age for that kind of star).
    It will die in about 5 billion years. In about half a million years it will start increasing in size. Not that it'll grow fast, but it'll be too hot for life as we know it to survive. Save for extremophile bacteria.

It's a really slow process.

Back