• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 2DS or 3DS?

Zethremar

Entirely Uninteresting
Years
  • I bought a 3DS specifically for X&Y so I will definitely be using it. I want to get the full experience out of the games and I don't feel like I could do that with the 2DSs. I also just prefer the design and portability of a 3DS over the 2DS.

You bring up a good point that I'd forgotten about, the portability factor. I spend a lot of time out of the house, either with friends or at TAFE (form of schooling for you non-Australian's). Being able to stick a 3DS in (majority) my pockets, or in a small carry case in my bag (so the screen doesn't get damaged), is very appealing, while the 2DS just seems as though it could be a bit awkward, nor do I particular like the carry case for the 2DS that I have seen so far.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I still have my launch Aqua Blue 3DS, as well as a newer Blue 3DS XL. I'll probably end up playing mostly on the XL, but there seems to be a stuck pixel or something on the bottom screen. It's nothing major, but just enough to annoy me, lol. I know it's very redundant, but I also can't help but want to check out the 2DS since I almost never bother with 3D. Maybe I'm just indecisive. 8)

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I got a 3DS to play Mario Kart 7 and Ocarina of Time 3D when they first came out. I would really like to buy an XL, but I don't quite have the money for it. Anyway, I really like the 3D effect, so personally I'm disappointed with the lack of stereoscopic 3D in the overworld.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Since i didn´t buy the 3ds right away i got the XL version about a month after its release. i usually play in 2d, but every once in a while i like to try out the 3d effct, like when i play mario kart. I guess it´s going to be the same with X/Y, maybe i´ll just turn it on for the battles

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't have it yet, but within the next couple of days I'm going to go ahead and purchase a 3DS XL before I get X and Y on Saturday. Or I might just buy it the same day, I don't know. The 2DS isn't in my tastes, and quite honestly it's not even marketed toward someone like me anyway. So, I don't really have any interest in buying one. Plus, it's pretty ugly. D:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I had a 3ds, and I got the blue Pokemon themed 3DS XL because it was so shiny. =p Don't need a 2ds, and doesn't have much appeal for me personally, especially now I have these two.

Alas, doesn't help me with any time problems. -_-

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I already have a 3DS. :) I got it on release here in the UK haha. xD If I didn't have one the 2DS or even a 3DS XL seems like a good choice. :D

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I have the 3DS XL, limited edition pink and white. I did wait to buy it until the announcement of Pokemon X/Y release date, so I guess I am lucky to have gotten the one I really wanted. However, if I had the extra money, I would buy the special Pokemon Y 3DS .... and never open it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2014
    ive got a 3DS, got it for Ocarina of Time. wanted to get a pokemon XL, but decided to buy the Zelda WiiU instead, for Pokémon RumbleU

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I have a 3DS XL which I got a case for but somehow it managed to get tons of scratches (which I thought were on the case and not the console itself. I was wrong). I'd like the limited edition ones but my works fine. I only play Pokémon anyway.

Years
  • A 3DS since I already have one. :3
    I never use the 3D feature but still like the look of a 3DS better so I doubt I'll ever buy a 2DS.

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
  • Well I was going to get a regular 3DS but when I went to Gamestop I was short some cash so I had to opt for the 2DS so I would have enough for Pokemon Y too :( But I don't really mind it that much it all works the same haha.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I have two 3DSs: an XL for, well, playing, and a regular one modded with a video capture board for recording stuff. In terms of systems, I'm all set. I see the potential in the 2DS however, if I didn't specifically want a modded 3DS, I would go for the 2DS for being able to trade with myself (yes, I'm one of those loners :D ).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I got a 3ds XL like 2 days before they announced 2ds and a week before they announced america would be getting the special DS's. So I will b using the 3DS XL I have. I didn't like the looks of the 2DS. It may have just been the picture I saw, but it didn't even look like it could shut like other DS's. Not to mention I don't think I can go back to the small screen of a normal 3ds and 2ds.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • I got a 3ds XL like 2 days before they announced 2ds and a week before they announced america would be getting the special DS's. So I will b using the 3DS XL I have. I didn't like the looks of the 2DS. It may have just been the picture I saw, but it didn't even look like it could shut like other DS's. Not to mention I don't think I can go back to the small screen of a normal 3ds and 2ds.

There is one good thing about the small screen. Regular DS games don't look horribly pixelated JPEG-like, the way they do on the 3DS XL. I seriously can't play any DS games on this thing, not even Pokémon.

Back