• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Trainer Association

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I figured everyone has either been staying away from the games, or way to busy playing X/Y. For me, it's the latter, I actually finished the game the other day, so for now I'm trying to figure out what to do next ^^

Pacifist, it's funny you mentioned Snorunt, since your Safari is Ice-type, with Snorunt, Sneasel and Piloswine. Are you going for Glalie or Froslass?

Narnia, the new games are really good! They actually exceeded my expectations, and I had pretty high expectations to begin with, so that says something. Gaining EXP is so, so easy, but that doesn't mean the games are easier; in fact, I was switching my team around so much, that sometimes I was under-leveled or at most on par with the Gym Leader's team. I never did any grinding, and I never rushed to the next Gym like before, so I loved training my Pokemon :)

Truth be told though, there aren't many new things to do after you beat the game, so I guess I'll focus on breeding and evolving Pokemon for my 'dex. I even did some shiny hunting, well, chain fishing actually, and I already stumbled upon two shinies. They feel a little cheated though, so I plan on trying out the Masuda Method, though I'll have to start searching for a foreign Ditto on the GTS for the moment.

I won't be starting new sprint this month, because I feel like our current theme can still provide some good topics. We've already talked starters, so let's focus on an iconic early-route group of Pokemon, everyone's favorite rodents.

rattata.png
sentret.png
zigzagoon.png
bidoof.png
patrat.png
bunnelby.jpg

Do you train early-route rodents in your game? Which one is your favorite and why?

raticate.png
furret.png
linoone.png
bibarel.png
watchog.png
diggersby.jpg

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Im not really sure if i even want to evolve Snorunt when i get it but i really like Glalie better over Froslass.

I dislike Raticate and Watchog a lot i think their designs are either too common and not creative at all or just way too weird, i love Furret and Linoone they are just really cool Pokemon that i really like, about Bunnelby i think its really cute but Diggersby just bothers me a lot and Bibarel is a cool guy, i really dislike that most people never even tried using it, its not like Bibarel is my favorite Pokemon or something but i just think its kinda cool and deserves more love.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Nope. I never took interest in them! I don't like Raticate or Watchog either. There's just something unsettling about them. XD

Furret is absolutely adorable but not something I would use everyday. Linoone's probably my favourite of the bunch with all of its power. A really underrated Pokemon in my opinion! Bibarel has a unique typing and I guess it isn't too shabby. I used to dislike it a bit though. Overall the rodent pokemon are pretty much like a stepping stone for new players but they can be used to their fullest potential by experienced ones as well. :]

Exeviant

"Call me Ex..."
Years
Username: Exeviant(Just call me Ex)
Your Goals: To be the very best like literally I want to be the best there is to be.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username: Exeviant(Just call me Ex)
Your Goals: To be the very best like literally I want to be the best there is to be.

Welcome to the club! So how are going at that, EV training/super training/IV breeding? Are you training for the in-game battle facilities, or are you a competitive battler?

Username: Pilkie
Your Goals: I want to 100% complete the Pokédex for X/Y.

Welcome! And good luck with your goal, that sounds crazy now with so many Pokemon! X/Y do have many, many Pokemon in the wild, and hopefully in December when we get Poke Bank, more Pokemon will be available from previous generations, so you'll be able to get even closer to your goal :)

Now, about those rodents. I admit that I was never that interested in them either! I'm actually curious about them, since a lot of people seem to dislike them a lot. I've grown to accept Raticate's design, and even like Watchog's, and I recently learned of Super Fang, which paired with Hypnosis, would make Watchog a good Pokemon to use for captures, though, sure, there are other Pokemon that would work better for that.

I guess that's their problem, there are other Pokemon who're just better. They're available very early, so just like Narnia said, they're great for the first part of the game, but eventually there will be stronger Pokemon that you'll want on your team. Unless you really like its design -- I would use Furret if I ever get to play a Johto game, it's just super adorable -- or if it has a niche that allows for some creative strategy in battle, the poor rodent may eventually get boxed.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Welcome to the new members!
About my hunt for a shiny Snorunt there's not much to talk about i have been breeding a little bit every day like a box every day but no shiny yet.
and there's a topic that fits the "New beginnings" that i would like to discuss ^^
Do you always pick the character of your gender?
well i am curious about how people choose the character for the game.
I normally choose the girl (Im a boy) because i actually choose the character that i like the design the most and i think that most male characters look really just too similar and that the female characters have a way better worked design.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
Username: Marionz
Your Goals: I just want to collect as many event pokemons as possible and have nearly perfect IV legendaries and shiny roamers through RNG (will buy older generations for that, but for now I'm busy playing pokemon Y). I have little care for battling but if I do I always try to use pokes I like not pokes from Smogon's OU list

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years

I almost always choose a character to match my gender. The only game I initially chose to be a girl in was Skyrim because I liked the femal Imperial models better. I always choose male in games where I won't be able to change my gender later on without restarting (exception of Skyrim where I can switch with the console). In games where I can play through without dedicating a thousand hours, I will choose whichever one is more appealing at the time.

In Pokémon, I always choose the male character because I don't restart my games often so I would like to use my actual gender.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
Username: Powerstars
Goal: Right now I'm trying to train up an in-game team to beat FireRed, but after that, it may change.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Welcome to the club, Marionz and Powerstars! Good luck with your games and you're welcome to post your training updates here anytime ^^

Yeah, up until now, my character was always female, because like Pilkie said, since you can't change your gender at a later time, I want my character to be some sort of mini-me, hehe. Though I was thinking of trying out some challenges on some older games after I get X out of my system, so I might chose the male character for a change sometime.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
Do you train early-route rodents? Which is your favorite?

Generally not, but I had a Zigzagoon (later a Linoone) on my team for a while in X. I do generally like to have a regional bird on my team each time.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
MIAU i really like how you talked about the "mini-me" thing since the reason i asked that after all is because i wanted to know what most people think about their characters, if the character is an extension of yourself or if it is a character that you just control to see his/her story, like Light novel or something like that.
also i came up with another topic i would like to discuss:
What is your favorite first gym?
For me its the 1 gym from B/W Chilli/Cilan/Cress i really like the concept behind this gym and i think that the gym leaders have cool personalities even though they arent really developed as the story goes but i still think that they have potential and thats something that the anime Best wishes anime showed.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Oh, your new topic fits our current theme! But since this is a Trainers' club after all, and our main focus is on training, may I add a bit to your topic, Pacifist?

What is your favorite first gym? How do you prepare for the first gym battle in a game?

I think mine is Cheren's Gym in B2/W2, I was really hoping for him to come back in the sequels as an accomplished trainer, and I think he does a great job as the first Gym Leader. And I remember I only used my starter, who was still at level 10 when I battled him, and his Lillipup can hit pretty hard after using Work Up, so I actually lost, hehe. Which brings me to the second question; since there aren't many Pokemon available before the first Gym, there isn't much choice but to grind for a bit before going after your first badge. It's no big deal since it's only just the beginning the game, but later on I prefer using strategy rather than brute force (i.e. over-leveled 'mon, spamming super effective moves etc).

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Yeah i guess that i was so excited to know what other people think about the 1st gym that i actually forgot that the question doesn't fit the club, well so my answer to the question
How do you prepare for the first gym battle in a game?
Is that o mostly just go with what i can, since there aren't many choices i normally use my starter and if my starter isn't effective against the gym type i catch a Pokemon from the early routes to help, for example i always use sentret at Johto because i always choose Chikorita and Chikorita cant defeat the first 2 gyms alone

WhtKnt

Budding Breeder & Trainer
Years
Username: WhtKnt
Goal: Ideally, I want to develop the best Pokemon Team that I can, and take it to competitive battling. This is a recurring challenge, as I'm new to EV training, and IV Breeding entirely.. so, as I make advancements, I can push myself to go even further, and make Pokemon even stronger and better.

Secondary Goal: Playing through all the other Pokemon Titles. Might take a while, considering I have to find some of those games. Lol.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
WhtKnt, welcome to the club, and good luck with your goals! Have you though about what Pokemon you're going to train? If you're interested in EV training, smogon has a really good guide right here; I know I used when I started EV training ;) They also have a very extensive IV breeding guide here, were the basics are explained really well.

Luckily, both IV breeding, and EV training have gotten easier in gen 6, thanks to Super Training and hordes ^^

MarcEddy

TheOneAndOnlyPokemon
Years
Username:MarcEddy
Your Goals: To beat all pokemon games. ( and become a popular youtuber )

WhtKnt

Years
First and foremost.. thanks for allowing me to join the Club! Much appreciated. Secondly, as for my Pokemon.. I haven't fully decided just yet. I know I'm going to have a Blazekin and Greninja. Was also thinking a Haunter. Undecided on whether I want to add in a Charizard or not. There's a ton of Pokemon to choose from, so it can be rather daunting for a rookie breeder / IV+EV Trainer.

I got my hands on a copy of Pokemon Black 2, but that's going to wait until I finish my play-through of Pokemon Y.

WhtKnt

Years
Hey, hey! Just checking in and giving an update. I just completed the Story for Pokemon Y roughly 45 minutes prior to making this post. Let the EV training begin! Also, if anyone needs to snag something from my Friend Safari, you're more than welcome. My Friend Code is listed near my total posts. I'm a Fire Safari.

Time to hatch some eggs!

Back