• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shrinking and Growing in XY

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So, you shrink in XY. Look at this:

BI7i6.png

When I first saw this, I just thought giant spiderweb, but look at the background closer - the leaves and grass are also massive, much more in line with the character (as well as the people around him) shrinking to the size of getting caught in a web. Also the water droplets, that would not gather that way if the web was a giant web and not a regular-sized web that the person shrunk down to match.

So, how do you think this will play out in the game? Will this be an HM move that's only usable at certain times? Do you think we'll be able to grow as well as shrink?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It could be just a gym interior and the grass and leaves LOOK massive but they are just props part of the decor not necessarily meaning that you shrunk.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^This. It looks like a gym and I highly doubt you will shrink. And when has Pokemon ever been to proportion anyway? :P

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Leaves that big exist in real life, so the character is normal size, the web itself seems to pretty much be a gym puzzle, so yes it's just a giant spiderweb, and the globules are just obstacles probs artificially made, or made by spider Pokemon like Ariados.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But that doesn't explain the water. Water wouldn't fall in that way if it wasn't droplets and the character was small, if it was just a really big gym the water wouldn't look like that. It's possible you can only shrink for one gym though.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Well, if you can actually shink and grow in these games' overworld, maybe the move Minimize could become an HM?

Shrinking could be cool though; think of the stuff you can doooo *__* like, remember the game, Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap? It can be cool if you can be in shrink portals and interact with like, mini people and pokemon. :3

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • But that doesn't explain the water. Water wouldn't fall in that way if it wasn't droplets and the character was small, if it was just a really big gym the water wouldn't look like that. It's possible you can only shrink for one gym though.

As I stated in a previous comment, the globules (they aren't necessarily water) are just props, obstacles that are either man-made or made by large spider Pokemon such as Ariados, they're nothing more than a gym puzzle, so it's just a normal sized gym with large props.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • By the looks of it, that appears to be a gym puzzle as some have already mentioned while the large grass and leaves in the background are probably there for appeal. I find it hard to think why a gym or any other place for that matter would need us to shrink or grow larger in size for anything in the game. Or maybe I just have a phobia of shrinking and being eaten or squished on by a Pokémon that's now 50x my size.

Well, if you can actually shink and grow in these games' overworld, maybe the move Minimize could become an HM?
    I really hope a move like Minimize never becomes an HM, even for shrinking purposes.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As I stated in a previous comment, the globules (they aren't necessarily water) are just props, obstacles that are either man-made or made by large spider Pokemon such as Ariados, they're nothing more than a gym puzzle, so it's just a normal sized gym with large props.

Please stop making it sound like you've played the game and know what they are, this is all speculation. :/ To me it makes much more sense that the person is smaller than the grass, leaves, and spiders are all massive and the spider is putting random "globules" on leaves in the background for no reason other than to look like big droplets.

Edit: Hiiro, you can have Ponyta/Rapidash/Charmander underwater with Dive with no qualms but suddenly you're bringing size issues to shrinking and growing? :P

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Who knows? That could very well look like a Bug-type gym, but maybe there might actually be a new HM in the game that actually allows you to shrink into small areas?

That would be so cool if there was an HM like that, seeing as the water droplets are exactly the same size as you. ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Please stop making it sound like you've played the game and know what they are, this is all speculation. :/ To me it makes much more sense that the person is smaller than the grass, leaves, and spiders are all massive and the spider is putting random "globules" on leaves in the background for no reason other than to look like big droplets.

Edit: Hiiro, you can have Ponyta/Rapidash/Charmander underwater with Dive with no qualms but suddenly you're bringing size issues to shrinking and growing? :P

He WAS just speculating as were you, just because you don't like or agree with the idea that they are all just props in another gym doesn't make it any less possible.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I immediately thought of Burgh honestly. XD Seems like a Bug gym, or perhaps a new forest area in the game! After all, all main games have a forest of some kind (Viridian, Ilex, Petalburg, Eterna, Pinwheel). And this could be the gimmick of the area. Perhaps this isn't the only area with a gimmick, if this proves to be such anyway, and all the new areas in XY have a gimmick to them. Hmm!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Shrinking/growing would be an interesting concept! Maybe it could be possible via a Key Item or something? Doesn't matter how the heck it's done; it's Pokemon, so science is mostly invalid XD Syd's idea about it being a gimmick seems plausible, too, and it'd also be something pretty neat in these games~

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    He WAS just speculating as were you, just because you don't like or agree with the idea that they are all just props in another gym doesn't make it any less possible.

He stated it as if it was fact. That was what put me off, not the disagreement in itself - a lot of other people disagreed and I didn't call them out on it.

I immediately thought of Burgh honestly. XD Seems like a Bug gym, or perhaps a new forest area in the game! After all, all main games have a forest of some kind (Viridian, Ilex, Petalburg, Eterna, Pinwheel). And this could be the gimmick of the area. Perhaps this isn't the only area with a gimmick, if this proves to be such anyway, and all the new areas in XY have a gimmick to them. Hmm!

There was some forest in the trailer, right? With rope-swinging? They kind of looked like different areas but maybe not :3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Edit: Hiiro, you can have Ponyta/Rapidash/Charmander underwater with Dive with no qualms but suddenly you're bringing size issues to shrinking and growing? :P
    Maybe I watched the movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!" too much as a kid. :p

I actually think it would be a cool idea and a very new gimmick for a gym puzzle. I just hope said gym leader has a good reason for shrinking us all into tiny people. Maybe he likes being the same size as the smaller Bug-type Pokémon? I don't know. I will say this though, it would certainly be the most craftiest gym to exist thus far. Or whatever that place might be since we don't entirely know just yet.

Years
  • So, you shrink in XY. Look at this:

BI7i6.png

When I first saw this, I just thought giant spiderweb, but look at the background closer - the leaves and grass are also massive, much more in line with the character (as well as the people around him) shrinking to the size of getting caught in a web. Also the water droplets, that would not gather that way if the web was a giant web and not a regular-sized web that the person shrunk down to match.

So, how do you think this will play out in the game? Will this be an HM move that's only usable at certain times? Do you think we'll be able to grow as well as shrink?

From the video...
    All it looks like to me is the reflex of the web is making you bounce
    Switching from larger to smaller overworld view with the bounce.
    Kind of like the other games bw
    This is like assuming that the entrance landing before castelias massive bridge makes you really large and the castelia bridge shrinks you and enlargers you through some sort of magic or something
    There have been shrinking sprites since dpp
    It all comes along with better graphics

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
    Years
  • I hope it's an HM/TM for shrinking and growing, that would expand the possibilities and be more fun! But what about the kid on the left? Did he shrink too? xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • But the thing with HMs is that they need an effect in battle, and we already have a move that makes you shrink (Minimize). Unless Minimize is becoming an HM. XD

Back