• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essentials on RPG Maker MV?

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    Pokémon Essentials RPG Maker MV Support?

I'm just wondering if the Essentials scripts used in RPG Maker XP will work in RPG Maker MV when it is released.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    No. The reason being that the scripts required modifications to work in RMVX (and I still have no idea if that's sufficient), so what makes you think that Essentials will magically not require any changes to work in the next iteration of the RPG Maker software?

As for what changes might be required, no one knows. RMMV isn't out yet, you may have noticed, and without knowing what the scripting will be like in it, or what changes it will make to, well, everything, you'd have to be some kind of wizard to know what alterations will be needed.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    I dont think it would be particularly easy to convert over either due to using javascript and html5 as to an of the rgss languages heres hoping a pokemon project will be made for it once it is out but maruno's is pretty sweet and has lasted this long which shows how well made it is compared to the ones attempted for vx and vxace

kvagram

Lead coder, Generation 0
    Years
  • I am sure I am far from the first to ask about this, but at the time of this writing, there is but a few hours until RPG Maker MV unlocks on steam.

MV has lots of upgrades that seem awesome for a pokemon game.
    More importantly, it uses more standard scripting and file-formats, meaning a Essentials kit could be collaborated with on github or other version-control services.

So I am asking: who wants to try porting the essentials kit over to MV using github to collaborate?

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
    Years
  • You can't just "port" the kit. Pokémon Essentials is written in Ruby and MV uses JavaScript. You'd have to code it from the ground-up.

kvagram

Lead coder, Generation 0
    Years
  • You can't just "port" the kit. Pokémon Essentials is written in Ruby and MV uses JavaScript. You'd have to code it from the ground-up.

I am not sure you know what I mean by porting it.
    We need not do everything from the ground up. The existing code in ruby still exist.
    True, ruby and javascript is diffrent languages, but both uses dynamic typing. The existing algorithms and scripts can be re-written in javascript to fit the structure in MV.
    This is what I mean by porting the essentials kit.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • this sound like a great idea now that you can make mac iso and android games on the maker do you know how many of community wishes they could play on the ipad or phone like we can with hacks something like this would be awesome would love to see someone try this.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • MV also has some valuable features that XP had, completely removed from it... I expect MV to go a similar way of VX in terms of Essentials.

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
    Years
  • I would help but I have 7 assiments to do, my own pokemon game to make, my parttime job and to cook for my house mates cause none of them can cook to save there life. But hey sometime in the future I could help.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • if done right you would just need tile sets set up right to make it work i have a trail right now for 20 days i could mess with and see if we could do this.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen May 10, 2022
    From RPG Maker website:
    The previous RPG Maker's screen resolution was 544x416 pixels. RPG Maker MV's screen resolution is now 816x624 pixels. The size of all graphical assets (including animations) are now 1.5 times the previous versions of RPG Maker. For example, characters used to be 32x32, and now they are 48x48.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this cause problems with all of the existing Pokemon tilesets?

Back