• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soul Silver Competitive Battling Team... again...

Tony_the_Dark_Prominence

Your hate for me is divine!
Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Here we go again...

Scizor Life Orb
    Adamant
    Technician
    252 Attack, 252 Speed

- Bullet Punch
    - Brick-Break
    - Swords Dance
    - Baton Pass

Scizor can Baton Pass his Swords Dance effect down to other pokemon. Scizor is not really SUPPOSED to be a Baton Passer... he can easily qualify as a Baton Passer because of his abnormal attack power. Bullet Punch is a good priority STAB move. Brick Break is used if I face against other Steel types, as well as Rocks, Normal types... *cough* Blissey... and it can pierce through Light Screen and Reflect.

Gallade Metronome
    Jolly
    Steadfast
    252 Attack, 20 Special Defense, 201 Speed

- Taunt
    - Psycho Cut
    - Close Combat
    - Grass Knot

Taunt is used to lock opponents into using only moves that involve actually attacking me. Grass Knot prevent others from switching out, while they have to deal with two other powerful STAB moves. This can be bother to others if this pokemon is used correctly...

Flygon Choice Band
    Adamant
    Levitate
    252 Attack, 90 Special Defense, 164 Speed

- U-Turn
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

This is a moveset based off of smogon's standards.

Dusknoir Leftovers
    Impish
    Pressure
    200 Attack, 252 Defense, 11 Special Defense, 28 Speed

- Pain Split
    - Taunt
    - Thunder Punch
    - Earthquake

Due to Dusknoir's low HP, Dusknoir is one of the best choices for Pain Spite. Taunt is used to lock others into using only attack moves. Thunder Punch is used to scare off those pesky Gyarados, Milotics and Starmie. Earthquake... is just... there. I wasn't sure about the fourth move... Dusknoir's can take A LOT of hits, however and can easily be switched in through U-Turn or Baton Pass... Preferably Baton Pass...

Absol Metronome
    Adamant
    Pressure
    252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 Speed

- Taunt
    - Wish
    - Sucker Punch
    - Baton Pass

Absol is NOT meant for this kind of moveset. But... It can wish itself for more HP (Wish increases a Pokemon's health by 50% after two turns I believe.) Taunt... That's right taunt, again. Sorry but there won't be any Stealth Rocks or Spikes on this battle field anytime soon. Sucker Punch is a good STAB move for Absol just in case he is in a jam. Metronome is used for sake of Sucker Punch. Nothing more. Absol can Baton Pass his Taunt and Wish down to others in case other Pokemon are seriously damaged.

Typhlosion Expert Belt
    Naughtly
    Blaze
    252 Attack, 124 Special Attack, 134 Speed

- Flare Blitz
    - Solarbeam
    - Sunny Day
    - Focus Punch

The only NU tiered Pokemon on the team. Flare Blitz is a Physical STAB move. (I might be better off with Eruption though.) Solarbeam and Sunny Day can be used together, which allows it ATLEAST OHKO or 2HKO a Milotic or a Tyranitar. Sunny Day also weakens other water moves. Solarbeam can be used to take care of Grounds, Rocks and Waters... Focus Punch is used for Rocks, Ice, Dark... and Normal types... (Hey Blissey, how are you?)
    Anyway... Typhlosion is extremely underrated and not commonly used during competitive battles, so I use Typhlosion as a "surprise" element of sorts. As long as I can use this Pokemon correctly and as long as it was successfully Baton Passed, it should be okay to have NU tiered Pokemon on my team...

NOTES:
    -All of the Pokemon listed here were once exposed to the Pokerus.
    -...... I am not expecting any good results from this post, due to the fact that I am still learning about competitive battling and the fact that I am extremely impatient.
    - As you guys can tell from my previous posts of movesets, I had a wierd obsession with mixing up Baton Passing strategies and Entry Hazards... but I knew that I had to change because I can't focus on setting up to much.
    - The main strategy is to stop others from setting me up for entry hazards or stat problems while crush my opponent with well landed attacks. My opponent will be forced into only using attacking moves. That means the opponents won't be able to defend him/her self and the only way they can stop the taunting is if they switch out. But, in case I end up at the type disadvantage, I can switch in myself, use U-turn or Baton Pass to save my tail and position myself so that I can beat on my opponent.
    I am extremely offensive... I don't have the patience for setting up entry hazards or setting up complex strategies in general. Ofcouse, Taunt can be countered by moves like Bide or Mirror Coat... But, I can easily take that risk.

- Again... I am NOT expecting good result from this. One could consider me a noob. I am not really pleased with that fact...

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Well, the good thing about this team is that at least you have EVs this time. But that's the only good thing about it.

I meant to respond to your PM yesterday, but I was busy. So I will post my PM reply in here:

*First, familiarize yourself with the Tiers. All Pokemon belong in a tier depending on how powerful they are or how much they are used. A list of the tiers can be found HERE.
    Beginning battlers should stick to using Pokemon from the OU tier and avoid Pokemon in the UU/NU tiers until they are more experienced with OU battling. Don't use Typhlosion or Absol or even Gallade right now. When you get better at battling, you can try them but you're not at that level yet.

No, don't think you will surprise a good battler by using a UU or NU Pokemon. A good battler is familiar with Pokemon from every tier and will know what every Pokemon is capable of. If you beat an OU team with a UU/NU team, it's because your opponent is bad, not because you or your Pokemon are good.

*Secondly, make sure you don't have more than 3 Pokemon on any team weak to a single type, especially the top 10 most common types used in battle:

__ Ground
    __ Fighting
    __ Fire
    __ Ice
    __ Electric
    __ Water
    __ Dragon
    __ Rock
    __ Steel
    __ Dark

Grass, Psychic, Flying, Ghost, and Bug are also types to watch out for. Poison isn't a big deal, and nothing is weak to Normal.

Also, you should have at least 1 Pokemon on your team that resists or is immune to each of those types. Use that list above as a sort of checklist. Right away, I can tell that you have no Water resist which means that a Water sweeper like Life Orb Suicune or Gyarados can easily beat your team.

*When it comes to EVs, make sure all your EVs are divisible by 4! It takes 4 EVs to boost one stat point.

Examples:

90 - NOT DIVISIBLE BY 4
    88 - DIVISIBLE BY 4

134 - NOT DIVISIBLE BY 4
    132 - DIVISIBLE BY 4

255 - NOT DIVISIBLE BY 4
    252 - DIVISIBLE BY 4

If your EV spreads are not divisible by 4, it means you are wasting EVs and need to fix them immediately.

*As for movesets/EVs, just use the ones from Smogon, but be sure to read the description of each. Some movesets fit better on certain teams than others.
    DON'T MAKE UP YOUR OWN MOVESETS! They will suck 90% of the time, and even if they don't suck, they probably won't be as effective as the standard movesets. Familiarize yourself with the standards and only then should you try to create different movesets.

Also use this:

THREAT LIST - After building a team, look through every Pokemon set on this list and ask yourself "Can my team handle this Pokemon or will it be able to defeat a majority of my team?" If your team does have trouble with a Pokemon, find some way to beat that Pokemon either by changing one of your movesets or replacing one of your Pokemon. You aren't expected to be able to beat every single Pokemon on the list. But as long as you make sure your team doesn't lose horribly to one Pokemon, you should be alright.

Now to critique your strategy:

The main strategy is to stop others from setting me up for entry hazards or stat problems

How are you going to do that? Taunt them? If you want to prevent opponents from using entry hazards/status moves, you need to be FASTER than your opponent. So far, the fastest Taunter on your team is Gallade, who only has a max Speed of 284, which is not very fast at all. Azelf, Jirachi, Aerodactyl, Infernape, Gliscor, and Roserade are all common users of entry hazards and all of them will be able to set them down before you can Taunt them. Some of them even carry Taunt themselves and will Taunt you before you can do the same to them.

I don't have the patience for setting up entry hazards or setting up complex strategies in general.
    No matter how offensive your team is, ALL teams need the benefit of Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock only takes one turn to set up and can turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs.

Grass Knot prevent others from switching out
    Wtf? Since when does Grass Knot prevent switching? It doesn't do that at all.

Due to Dusknoir's low HP, Dusknoir is one of the best choices for Pain Spite.
    It's a common mistake to not give Dusknoir/Spiritomb/Rotom any HP EVs. While it is true you will heal more with Pain Split and do more damage to the opponent, it is still a BAD thing. Without HP EVs, you will take more damage from attacks which means you will be defeated more easily. And you can't use Pain Split when you have fainted.

Metronome is used for sake of Sucker Punch.
    Metronome is a bad item. Having your sweeper hold it will actually hurt them in the long run, inevitably ending in the loss of one of your Pokemon. The number of turns a Pokemon needs to use the same attack to get a substantial boost is much too high to ever be of use, and the chances any one Pokemon would use one attack for that amount of time are slim to none. If you're looking for a power boost and don't plan on changing attacks, try a Choice Band or Choice Specs; they provide immediate power boosts with the drawback of being locked into a single move. If you want to increase your attacks' power but want the freedom to change attacks, have your Pokemon hold a Life Orb; although its power boost is smaller, it powers up both special and physical attacks and allows you to freely change attacks.

As for some Pokemon replacements/moveset changes:

Infernape is better than Typhlosion. Use the following set:

Infernape @Life Orb
    Naive
    64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spd

-Fire Blast
    -Grass Knot
    -Close Combat
    -Hidden Power Ice/Vacuum Wave/U-Turn

Lucario is better than Gallade. Use the following set:

Lucario @Life Orb
    Adamant
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Close Combat
    -Extremespeed
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    -Swords Dance

Scizor should not be using the Baton Pass set on an offensive team, it works best as a Choice Bander:

Scizor @Choice Band
    Adamant
    Technician
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

- Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Flygon is a good Choice Bander, but it makes a better Choice Scarfer. You can keep the same moveset, just change the item. Also give it 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd.

Vaporeon makes a better Wisher than Absol. It also gives you a much-needed Water resist.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
    Bold
    188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spd

-Surf
    -Hidden Power Electric/Ice Beam
    -Wish
    -Protect

Dusknoir does not belong on this team. Dusknoir is a defensive wall and will not fit well on an offensive team. This slot should be reserved for a fast Taunter that can also set up Stealth Rock:

Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Taunt
    -Stealth Rock

So your final team should be Aerodactyl, Vaporeon, Infernape, Choice Band Scizor, Choice Scarf Flygon, and Lucario.
    Does this team resist all the common types in the game? Use the checklist and you'll see it doesn't have a Fighting resist. Machamp and Swords Dance Lucario can be a problem.

Let's change Aerodactyl to Gliscor:

Gliscor @Leftovers
    Jolly
    Hyper Cutter
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd

-Earthquake
    -Taunt
    -Steath Rock
    -U-Turn

Gliscor isn't as fast as Aerodactyl, but gives you a handy Fighting-resist and a second Electric immunity.

There you have it - a team that is much better than your previous team. What you should do now is BATTLE with this team and see if it has any major weaknesses.
    "Oh but it will take forever to breed, EV, and train every Pokemon!"
    You don't have to. If you search for Shoddy Battle or Pokemon Online on Google, you can instantly battle hundreds of players from around the world without having to do any tedious breeding or training. You can use the battles here to learn how your team compares against other players. Then when you have polished your team, you can start the breeding/training in your real game.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited:
    Back