• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Ruby Sapphire or Emerald

Which games did you choose?

• Just Sapphire

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Just Ruby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruby and Sapphire

• Just Emerald

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Ruby and Emerald

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Sapphire and Emerald

• All Three!

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
  • 9jkdjk.jpg
    For the release of the Brand new Hoenn region with a bunch of new pokemon a new storyline and everything you where initially give 2 options of games as is customary Ruby and Sapphire. Later a third version came out with larger differences than the other 2 such as a larger storyline some more things to do post game and many more events. Which games did you choose? Did you choose one over the other or both? What made you choose the games you did? Did the team positions influence your decision or was it the available pokemon in one game vs the pokemon in the other? Discuss!

Years
  • I played all three, but Ruby was the only one I was able to dedicate time to. At least it helped me know the way around Hoenn and while I did like Groudon and Team Magma, over time my interests switched to #teamsapphire. It does still hold memories for being the first Pokemon game I ever played.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While Kyogre and Water-type are my favorites. I've got myself the Ruby version first, as an old friend gave me his Ruby version! Ah, such sweet memories. :)

SInce I love the Hoenn region, I vote for all three!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I believe my mom bought the game for me, so I was never really part of choosing which of the games I wanted, but it never really mattered much to me :p Basically I just told her at the time that I wanted the new Pokemon game, as I found out one of my friends had a third gen game, and she came home with Ruby one day. This lead to Ruby always being my preferred choice of game when it came to picking favourites between the third gen games, but that's honestly just due to bias, and barely has anything to do with the content. Although I will admit that I find Team Magma to be generally a lot cooler than Team Aqua :D But yeah, over the years, I have played through all 3 games, although Sapphire and Emerald have both been borrowed from friends. It's definitely clear that Emerald is the better game, with the expanded features though, but Ruby still remains the best in my heart 8D

Sirfetch’d

Ruby was the first one of the three I played and probably the one with the most overall play time but I have played through all 3 so many times. Emerald is definitely my favorite of them though. It had much more to do with the battle frontier as well as the expansion of the storyline a bit. Gen 3 is definitely my favorite overall haha :3

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
    Years
  • Um... I think Ruby was the first Hoenn Region game that I obtained. I know that I later played Emerald, and it became my favourite one of the trio.
    The Hoenn Region is my favourite region, as it's the one that I discovered a gym leader who shares my name.
    I've never met anyone Irl with my name before; Flannery.

Now with that said, my first ever Pokémon game was Red Version, back in like 1998 or so. My second one was Gold Version.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Definitely all three! My first of them was Sapphire, which I loved, and when I saw my friend's copy of Emerald I knew I had to get it for myself. Eventually I got Ruby to finish the collection.

I've played through them all a couple of times, so I can definitely say that I love them all.

Years
  • Sapphire was first game, that I actually bought for my own money. And after all these years, I'm still playing it.

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • I in fact choose Emerald version. Not that I dont like Ruby or Saphire, but I think that Emerald is a kind of fussion between these two. That is the main reason why I love Emerald, all three in one. I thought that in Emerald ,as a bonus, you could visit Johto. But I was wrong. Jajaja! The Battle Frontier was, and is, the main atraction in Emerald. So that's why I vote for Emerald.

Forgot to mention that Ruby was my first version, I haven't played Saphire, though...
    But I imagine being the opposite of Ruby, so Emerald all the way!!

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Ruby. If I remember correctly it was the first Pokemon game I ever bought. I prefer Emerald because of the additional content, but I've never bothered to buy it. Playing it through on my ex's copy was good enough. (Though I took some flak for deleting her game. She got over it. Eventually. Although, she is my ex, so... maybe not?)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I played Emerald first then got Ruby afterward. I preferred Emerald because I found it more entertaining for some reason, although I do remember feeling so amazed once I saw Rustboro's buildings look different, haha.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I've owned all 3 copies of the Hoenn-based games on the GBA! I picked up Sapphire first (I thought it was called Pokémon Safari) and raced through the game picking up 4 badges! I then hopped south into Petalbrug and didn't know the Gym was there so I thought I was stuck... I then collected Pokémon Ruby and was the first Pokémon game I ever completed, and I ploughed through the game with Ace, my trusty Swampert. I'll never forget my shock of discovering Steven as the Champion. I remember reading in a magazine that Pokémon Emerald was coming out on September 16th 2004 and was so excited for it, I loved the new hero sprite and was excited to relive my Hoenn adventure. Turns out that was in Japan, I had to wait until Xmas 2005 to get my hands on an Emerald cartridge and I loved every minute of it. I loved all three, sorry about the layout of this post I'm just rambling (as usual).

Back