• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Experiences Recount

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
To tell the truth, I have never really played the 3rd generation pokemon games outside of emulation though i did see them in action thanks to some friends who had a GBA and were playing Ruby. I was skeptical at first since i outgrew pokemon years ago but one special Christmas evening in 2014 got me thinking of downloading a Visual Boy Advance and the first thing that came to mind was the 3rd gen pokemon games.

Suffice to say, Ruby was the one picked up upon and playing it left me an impression of the things i missed out. From playing a Ruby Rom with VBA, i eventually got back to playing some Pokemon during my free time and did what i can to enjoy the 3rd gen, with Emerald being my personal favorite pokemon game of this gen.

Years
Ah yes, 3rd Gen... this one holds a significant memory for me because Ruby was the first Pokemon game I properly owned.

I actually was very ecstatic when I got the game and a GBA SP for my 11th birthday, still one of my best birthday presents ever. I did get a DS Lite and Pearl on what was my 16th, and Black on my 19th but they weren't as memorable as this one. I was quite the noob when I played this game because my team had type overlaps and crappy HM moves everywhere, but it does hold my only Pokemon to have ever won a Master Rank Contest - a Roselia. It was the Master Beauty Contest (where I think one of the opponents is a very annoying Electrode) and I somehow beat that Electrode trainer by just a few points, despite my Roselia's moves all belonging to different categories.

It was also the game I obtained my very first shiny, an adorable red Duskull. Caught her without any cheap tricks, just a plain old random encounter. I had heard about shinies but never expected to actually catch one of my own. She still sits in Ruby today, because she holds that many memories.

When I played Alpha Sapphire, I felt like I was taking a trip back to my childhood but unlike my Ruby days, I was a much smarter player. That's why Hoenn has been such a memorable region to me.

Anvils Alive

Fun is infinite. Sega Enterprises.
Years
Where it was Gen 1 - thanks to my mom and a Game Boy Color - that got me into Pokémon, Gen 3 was a rite of passage for me.

I remember it clearly: After failing miserably at Roxanne with a not-quite-trained Torchic and a few other things, I restarted and powered through with yon Mudkip.

Oh, and a completed playthrough of FireRed got there somehow, too. (Kappa)

My first completed Nuzlocke in AS took me back to the days I could have experienced, complete with my true first Gen 3 starter: Ruby the (Mega) Blaziken. R.I.P, you big ol' fighting cock...

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
I remember my struggle on reaching Rayquaza on the second time because of the Fragile Floors when I realized I need a MACH BIKE FOR THOSE OBSTACLES LOL.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Gen three is my favorite gen because when I first started playing, it was Pokemon Emerald. And I still remember how I was able ot beat the Elite Four. I went and caught Rayquaza with my master ball and used only her to beat them all!^_^

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
I played all three Pokemon in computer emulator because I dun have any real GBA.
That tim when my friend had a GBA everyone was crazed about it lol.

Anyways the funny thing is we figured how to catch all the legendary Pokemons for months since back then we dun have Internet. Some of the Pokemons only available for trading so it is a pain of our arse just to catch em all ahahh a.

Besides we literally wasted a lot of freaking ultra balls just to catch those legend arise like rayquZza ( pretty almost 99 balls lol). Well not many of my friend knows about Pokemon games. So we could show off able it them how many legendaries we had.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
In 2004, I came home one day from school to find FireRed in my bedroom. I had never played Pokemon up until this point, so it was all a new experience for me. As it turned out, I came to quite like the idea of collecting lots of different monsters, so I was almost instantly hooked. I never quite finished my first playthrough, but I do remember starting out with a Squirtle, which I got to around Level 40? before getting sick of it and restarting so I could use Charmander. It was a fun experience. I still have the cartridge in working condition!

cRaCkZ

Well...
Years
I just saw this topic and decided to share my experience in Gen 3 since is my first Generation.
I never had a GBA Console (since is started to play Pokemon only few years ago. I knew about Anime since i was little but not about games)so i played on an Android Emulator.

My first game was Emerald (which is my all time favorite). I finishedEmerald about 8 times and never get bored of it.

I started my first game with a Torchic named Torch (yes i'm original).
After Wally catches a Ralts i "fall in love" with her and i wanted one too. After long searches on Route 102 i managed to catch one, my cutie Remix :) (and Gardevoir remains my fave since then)
My first team ever was Blaziken, Gardevoir,Breloom,Absol,Aggron and Altaria. Pretty good for a newbie,huh?

In my first games i always overleveled my starter. I get Combusken before Roxanne and Blaziken during the battle with Winona.

I also finished LG/FR 2 times each (Never Kanto will be better than Hoenn)
About R/S , i only finished Ruby 3 days ago (and for the first time won all the contests ,and my contests 'mons was transfered to Platinum though Emulators (thanks God , emulators are awesome).

SO THAT'S GENERATION 3 FOR ME <3

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
LeafGreen was my first real Pokemon game - my first Pokemon game was a ROM Hack bootleg of some sort. I remember thinking that the games were based off on the anime, as I've watched the anime a few times previously, and getting really confused as to why Brock didn't join me when I defeated him. I thought I had to beat Misty to get Brock (and Misty for that matter) to travel with me, but she didn't join me too once I defeated her. I think it was at that point I got stuck, lmao. x)

Years
Gen 3 was my first encounter with Pokemon, a friend I made on holiday was playing FireRed and was explaining the whole concept to me. He showed me all his legendaries and next to them sat a lv 100 Fearow, for whatever reason I was convinced this was legendary and after I returned home and purchased a copy of FireRed for myself I spent my first ever play through believing that Fearow was a super rare Pokemon that nobody else but me had. And that's where my love affair with with this wonderful world Game Freak have created began.

Years
Well for me I think my fondest memories lie with Pokemon LeafGreen since it was my first Pokemon game. When I first got it I knew very little about the game, or Pokemon in general. I'd heard about it from some friends at school and I'd seen a grovyle use leech seed in one of the games. I saw a two episodes from the first few seasons of the anime, and from what I saw I knew that this was going to be an amazing game. I was hyped to high heaven.

Now I did know who the starters were before hand, and their types. So since I knew what leech seed did and that it was a grass type, I decided to pick Bulbasaur, assuming he could learn the move.

Aside from getting excited about catching a Jigglypuff (because it was rare) nothing too noteworthy happened, except for when I finally got the cut hm. I had no clue how to use it. I spent I think about an hour trying to figure it out, before I gave up, assumed nobody on my team could use it, restarted my adventure with Charmander thinking that would make a difference, only to find that it didn't. As well as fighting Brock without Bulbasaur was a royal pain. Got cut again, restarted with Bulbasaur, and FINALLY figured out how to use tms and hms.

I also didn't figure out how stats worked until after a looooong time and several playthroughs later. I didn't even figure out how to get into those ruins on one of the sevi islands until my 5th playthough. But by then all my Pokemon were around level 92 and beating the elite four a second time was a piece of cake. It still felt awesome to beat them again though.

So there's my story of my most memorable pokemon moments. Especially the ruins. I just randomly used cut for the heck of it and was dumbfounded that it even opened the door.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Although it was not my first generation (Diamond first, and Stadium/Snap/Puzzle Leauge and Colosseum before that if they count (Colosseum should :P )), the advanced generation as a whole is my favorite, and I've played every one of the games for hundreds of hours.
After going through Diamond blind, it was nice knowing what I was doing with Emerald. I pre-chose a team of my 6 favorite Hoenn Pokemon, which was hard consitering I love Hoenn's Pokemon more then any other region. XD (Thank goodness for Ruby and Sapphire to help with that)
I enjoyed that journey more then any other game, and have always loved May's design, tomboy personality and apearance, so I could really see myself as my character more then usual. If I had to choose one playable character sprite to represent me, it'd be May. :)
The region of Hoenn is simply amazing, and I loved the ocean treatment the games got. Actually going underwater, the whole thing really. And the legendaries actually felt, truely legendary to me, and Aqua, and moreso (to me at least) Magma felt like a real threat.
Transfering my complete Hoenn Pokedex of Pokemon from Emerald to 4th gen was a very hard thing to do, as I love just playing these games. My teams were the last to be transfered, just today actually. :)
Firered was my 3rd main series game, this also was an amazing experiance for me growing up with the Kanto anime, it was way too awesome to me XD
I still keep Pokemon with all the HM's on them to move around the now-empty games. Hoenn feels like my in-game home to me, and even the remakes can't replace the experiance.

Back