• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who is not a fan of mega evolution

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2015
    ever since it was introduced i just didnt like it and its not because its unbalanced or anything it just feels strange and makes me feel empty inside dont get me wrong the concept is a cool idea i just cant put my finger on it maybe its because im used to the old way of doing things

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    For now, it is unbalanced. Mega Kangaskhan > everything else. Because only so many megas can be released with each game, the choices are limited. Until we get a new game, mega kangaskhan will continue to see the most usage competitively and run house.

Years
  • I'll be honest, even though Mega Evolutions have been a thing for nearly 2 years now, I still don't know if I'm a fan of them. Like so many other people have said, it feels Digimon-esque, especially when your Pokemon reverts right back to normal after you've finished battling. I also don't like that it all but rules out regular evolutions for many Pokemon going forward that could've used it, like Banette, Mawile, Sableye, etc.

That said, since there's no turning back now, I'd like to see them keep expanding on the number of Pokemon that can mega evolve, since I think we're only at about 45 of the 375+ final stage Pokemon that we currently know of. And if Charizard and Mewtwo can have multiple mega evolutions, maybe some that already have one can get new ones, too.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2015
    Mega evolutions feel like legendaries, to me. By which I mean, it feels cheap and overpowered to use them for most of the game.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    While I like a few megas (e.g. Beedrill, Charizard X, Mawile, and Sceptile), I wish GameFreak had never created such a crazy mechanic. I am still hoping that they'll one day remove this feature in the future (but I doubt that would ever happen).

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • As long as they don't keep making ugly ones (hi M-Aerodactyl) then I really don't care. Megas are an interesting concept; ideally though in some situations, an evolution would more than suffice (hi mawile and absol and I'm sure there are some others), as Brendan already said, there's no turning back from this, so I'm personally curious to see what other bag of tricks GF has up its sleeve concerning this.

Mega Aerodactyl isn't ugly. You're probably thinking of Mega Salamence.

Years
  • I have mixed feelings about Mega Evolution.
    On the one hand, it makes the Pokémon I like strong enough that I can use them in my online battles again and not lose. It's a nice mechanic that allows the resurgence of otherwise "underwhelming" Pokémon by giving them a pretty decent burst of power. Kangaskhan, who's a beast currently dominating competitive play by force, wouldn't even be considered if you would take away its Mega Form. Because of this, I can say: Yes, Mega Evolution is a nice mechanic.

On the other hand, it changes the whole feeling I get from using the Pokémon that I like. It's like I'm both using the same Pokémon and not. For instance Mega Absol, Absol shares #1 in my favourite Pokémon list. But Mega Absol doesn't feel like Absol. It looks similar, it looks amazing, it feels great, but it's not Absol, and I blame that on Magic Bounce. I played Absol for Super Luck with a Razor Claw and attacks like Slash and Night Slash, etc. I loved the crits, but that identity was lost with Mega Absol. It's a shame, because it's a really great Pokémon.
    So with this I can say: Pokémon with Mega Evolution don't feel the same, therefore it's not a nice mechanic.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I have a bit of a love hate relation with megas. There are some I like because they look somewhat different from the preevo's design and I love using 'em, but there are some I despise because they look stupid or they don't change the original's design much.

Years
  • I didn't like the idea at first, because it sounded gimmicky, but in time when I played XY it grew on me. It does make a lot more Pokémon, such as Altaria, Manectric and Charizard more fun to use, though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I would rather have seen them add more prevos and evos for less popular pokemon. Or at the very least reserved mega evos for less well known or weaker pokemon instead of stuff like legendaries and starters >.<

Years
  • I would rather have seen them add more prevos and evos for less popular pokemon. Or at the very least reserved mega evos for less well known or weaker pokemon instead of stuff like legendaries and starters >.<

This. I love the idea of bringing a Pokemon that is weak in competitive use (or in a few Pokemon's cases, in-game) and giving them a boost to make them better but we really didn't need Pokemon that were already powerful (Looking at you Mewtwo). It's taking a powerful Pokemon and making it overkill.

I do, however, love the idea of making starters having a mega evolution (although I wish they would give them a second mega like Charizard :[ ) just so we can get rid of their annoying ability without hoping GF puts out more hidden ability starters.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    When they were first announced I didn't like the idea. I was all "Back in my day... Gen wun, gen wun, gen wun etc." Then I kinda got used to it and thought it was a cool idea, and now I'm sitting inbetween. I think it's a cool idea for competitive battles and stuff but I just cannot use them through my play-throughs because they're so overpowered and destroy everything. It just takes the fun out of it for me personally.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    I am
    To be honest, since they had Mega Evolution, I just think pokemon has lost their features
    Sorry for my bad English

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think they're alright. I don't get excited for them like I would just a new evolution or new line, but for what they are I don't mind them. I agree they don't feel true to Pokemon, but it's also not unusual for old things to reinvent themselves or change a bit as time goes on. Honestly since they're not permanent, it's actually pretty easy to just ignore them and play the game without using megas if you don't like them that much.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    At first, I didn't really like the idea of Mega evolutions, because they felt a lot like easy to obtain pseudo legendaries. I never really cared to use them outside of cmpetitive battling, because of their raw power colliding with my playstyle. When it comes to competitive battling, what disturbs me, is that stupid matchup dependency it brings. There's so many megas to prepare for, that there's a high chance, you'll run into an opponent, who uses exactly that mega, you couldn't prepare for, or even if you prepare for it, you had to prepare for so many megas, that you couldn't prepare for powerful non-megas.

I do admit, though, while using them, I started liking a couple megas a little bit more, like Mega Scizor.

Straydog

I'm not a fan of the cheesy name, I mean seriously... mega evolution? Nor do I appreciate how it requires no effort to unlock such overpowered forms once you find your Pokemon's respective mega stones. The only thing I do like is that some of the mega designs are badass af! *points to avatar*

However they could have given us these new forms without introducing such a tacky gimmick.

Years
  • Thursday sums up my opinions well. I do love Mega Evolution because it does breathe new life into old Pokemon that once weren't so great competitively but also gave popular Pokemon new uses of their own, however I do have to agree with him that Mewtwo is pretty questionable, and especially Rayquaza who has a pretty overpowered ability and stat spread.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm in the middle with Mega Evolution, it's not something I hate but at the same time it's not something I'm overly excited about. It's a cool concept and adds a whole new level to the battlefield, but to me it's just another feature that I don't really find myself utilizing all that often. There are some awesome looking mega evolution designs, but like I say I hardly ever find myself using Mega Evolution in game when the opportunity arises.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally don't mind mega-evolution at all; I welcome the feature. Although almost each and every final-stage Pokémon are bound to get a mega-form at some point, as this is what Masuda hopes to see, if I recall, it helps elevate underused Pokémon, and helps them become more popular amongst battlers.

Back