• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Uh staff and guys... Is there something we can do about this?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    This is about the new feature, "You may also like..", which is Powered by Google. And yes if you're wondering, that is Achromatic's signature making its cameo appearance. lol

Untitled_zpsnxtoombn.png

I was so surprised to see that photo from the preview. Apparently the real 'culprit' behind it is neither Google or PC, it's TinyPic! TinyPic has this problem of not displaying the images properly or deleting the original image. But what if it "You may also like" 'accidentally showed some crude images next time? While it's not PC's fault obviously, but we can't just simply ignore it.

Here's the link to the unfortunate thread, I was supposed to go to the OP's profile and tell him that his image are not showing properly. But I believe the user is no longer active here on PC.

So I'd like to suggest to have the image review section turned off and display the recommended threads in a list instead.

Thanks for taking time reading this Feedback.

Years
  • I'd like to second this idea if it is at all possible. If something like that were to happen PC could land a bad rep for something out of our control.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • There's a reason why tinypic is blocked on SPPf. The older pics get shoved away and is replaced with newer ones, sometimes really crud images ended up being shown.

But yeah, I second the idea of making it a list of threads instead of the current way it's displayed. :/

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'd like to second this idea if it is at all possible. If something like that were to happen PC could land a bad rep for something out of our control.

The shown image is a bit hilarious this time, but since the image hosting server is beyond PC's control we can't be sure what's going to be listed in the preview next time.

We can't expect every members reporting this kind of incident every time; firstly that's ineffective for solving the problem, secondly not every member is going to make a report, while PC is generally for 13 and above because of the COPPA rules but let's not forget the existence of soccer parents, thirdly handling these kind of report each time might create more unnecessary work for the staff.

While my suggestion isn't the most effective way, at least it lessens PC's chance of receiving bad reputations. :)

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
    Years
  • I, also second to this. My reason is because of the younger age group of the forum, we can make sure they aren't exposed to disturbing images. To the best of our ability adding on.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There's a reason why tinypic is blocked on SPPf. The older pics get shoved away and is replaced with newer ones, sometimes really crud images ended up being shown.

But yeah, I second the idea of making it a list of threads instead of the current way it's displayed. :/

Actually the Pokémon sprites from my Trade Shop were altered into weird stuff while I was using TinyPic as my image host, until I completely switched to PhotoBucket this month. :/

Therefore I would also like to further suggest limiting our image upload to certain reliable image hosting sites to ensure our forum's quality won't be affected because of the image hosting site's unstable service. Or at the very least blacklist/ban certain image hosting website.

The suggestion might be too harsh or too strict, but we need to sacrifice for a bit if we don't want the overall PC experience to be ruined, due to the unreliable image hosting sites' unstable service quality. It would be difficult if the PC staff and the affected members are going to take the heat and responsibility one day, when the fault wasn't the aforementioned to begin with.

Years
  • I'm with this, because looking at what you screenshotted, my mother wouldn't want to be seeing pics of that on my screen (I don't have TinyPic happening on my end but she'd literally explode into endless anger if she saw something like that) and as Twi said, we still have some fairly younger people here.

Candy

Years
  • If we want to fix the images then what we need to do is to ban the word TinyPic itself. The mods can't all search for all the images that uses TinyPic on this forum, so this is the simplest way to fix it.

And I agree. We need more diversity in the threads being displayed 'cause I won't even bother with it when 99.9% of the time it's RomHacks and the occasional 0.1% are threads from the closing GT forum on my end.

Candy

Years
  • True, but is there really another way though? I mean, there's already a bunch of broken images (at least they show another image) because of tinypic, and that's in a single thread only. There might be a lot more crud images hiding beneath our radars.

And let's be honest, the members at the Game Dev and ROMHacks section currently using tinypic for their image hosting site to post screenshots will have their images replaced just like the screenshots in the thread mentioned in the OP. It's just a matter of time, really.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Hey everyone.. We can't make it a list or change it.. it parses the site and grabs "related" (in Google's eyes anyway) posts that have both related text AND a photo/image in the post and displays the link(s). no image, no link added.

I would be up for blocking tinypic (and any other image service that replaces old images) moving forward. Perhaps adding an image uploader (other than attachments) or having a recommended 3rd party image host (perhaps an API powered link or plugin..) or something like that..

Also, don't worry about it just showing hacks and whatnot it is still "learning" and will get better over time (or so I hear)

(p.s. may I suggest using imgur to upload your pics and screen caps)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hey everyone.. We can't make it a list or change it.. it parses the site and grabs "related" (in Google's eyes anyway) posts that have both related text AND a photo/image in the post and displays the link(s). no image, no link added.

I would be up for blocking tinypic (and any other image service that replaces old images) moving forward. Perhaps adding an image uploader (other than attachments) or having a recommended 3rd party image host (perhaps an API powered link or plugin..) or something like that..

Also, don't worry about it just showing hacks and whatnot it is still "learning" and will get better over time (or so I hear)

That's sad, but since nothing can be done at this stage our only method right now is using a reliable image hosting site (which is imgur) then.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Steve. I believe it's a case close then! *nods*

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • If you guys do happen to find a bad image we want to know about it (especially a ugly tinypic replacement) so we can edit the post to umm replace the bad image..

Give this thing some time.. it's only been active a very short while and for us, only a day - I'm sure it will get a bit better over time.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    If you guys do happen to find a bad image we want to know about it (especially a ugly tinypic replacement) so we can edit the post to umm replace the bad image..

Give this thing some time.. it's only been active a very short while and for us, only a day - I'm sure it will get a bit better over time.

Sorry for the following long questions, don't wanna mess up so I'm asking for details:
    - Are we supposed to report it to certain staff or any staff would do?
    - Do we need to screencap (like what I did on the OP) or copy the URL link of the thread with problematic pic(s) or maybe both?
    - Are we supposed to 'report' the thread with bad image(s) or PM the staff in charge for this matter?
    Thanks for the help. :)

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
    Years
  • This is about the new feature, "You may also like..", which is Powered by Google.
    I'd like to suggest to have the image preview section turned off and display the recommended threads in a list instead.
    Thanks for taking time reading this Feedback.

Well... uh. I use Adblock, and Adblock Plus, so I was entirely unaware of such a thing existing. o.O
    jd8P3j1.png

But yeah, I can see why it would be a problem. I personally can't stand TinyPic, Photobucket, ImageShack, Gyazo, Puush, or any of those image hosting sites. The only one I ever use, and trust, is Imgur. The others have so many issues, what with deleting images, server errors, and slow loading times that I try to completely boycott any sites that use images hosted on those previously named hosts. It usually causes the website in question to load slowly by having a delay in following links to different sections of the site.

I would be up for blocking tinypic (and any other image service that replaces old images) moving forward. Perhaps adding an image uploader (other than attachments) or having a recommended 3rd party image host (perhaps an API powered link or plugin..) or something like that.

Please block them! xD
    Imgur is the only way to go in my opinion lol.

o.o
    Learning? That sounds slightly frightening. Like, Google will 'learn', and become self-aware, only to realise that Humans are like a virus, and imperfect, and must be exterminated. <.<

Yes x9,001.
    Imgur is the best Image hosting site in my opinion. They never remove old images; they only become removed if the uploader of the image deletes it. ...Or if someone uploaded it 'anonymously', rather than logging in.

It's honestly nice to know that the owner of Pokécommunity replies, and interacts with the community. I'm so used to 'owners' of large communities just sitting in the shadows, and not caring about the people. Only watching their pockets fill up, and their user base grow to exceedingly large levels. So this is a nice change.

Small edit:
    I saw the "Founder" tag, and immediately thought "Owner". Am I right in assuming this? >.>

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    - Are we supposed to report it to certain staff or any staff would do?
    H-staff can get the reports, since Steve's solution is just to edit out the picture in the thread. But if you do report it, then the mod of the section can get to the thread as well. So you can just report a thread and say something like "TinyPic ruined this post!" and we'll take a look at it. (Personally, I check reports sooner than messages, so if it's something really important, reports are my preferred way of knowing about them!)

But please let us know in any way possible! Some of us aren't seeing those links and pictures (I have uBlock Origins) and it's not good for other members to get in trouble due to faulty image hosting sites.

In the meanwhile, I edited out those pictures from ToxicPurple's OP so they can stop showing up. :)

Candy

Years
  • Yeah the only ads I see are the one below the suggestions bar and I'm only Silver tier.

I turn adblock off for PC 'cause I'm a good person and want PC to get ad revenue, but now I have it up again 'cause god they're annoying... Honestly, I find the "you may also like" feature a tad bit useless to me since I know where I'm going whenever I'm browsing the forums.

Sir Codin

Sorry if this gets under people's skin, but I never turn off my Adblock.

NEVER.

I have this burning, passionate hatred for internet advertising, pop-ups, epileptic spasm banners, etc. I deal with them all the time on my iPod's Safari browser and I used to deal with it on personal computer until I discovered Adblock (first time I discovered it, I ALMOST came close to believing there's actually a god). I think those things make the internet a completely unbearable place and I don't turn it off for anyone, no matter how much I may like the site.

Back