• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Congrats on the new smartphone, Stud Muffin :D

I usually aim at phones that were released 1-2 years ago. I don't like being an early adopter to phones that were released the same year.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Breaking a phone is never something you'd want to happen to your own smartphone. :3

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I've got a ZTE Blade III. Why I even bothered to get that phone even though it was cheap I'll never know.

When I do have more cash in hand however I intend to get the Nexus 5. Man that thing looks sexy as hell, Kitkat 4.4 wooo

Years
Anyone use virtualization software (eg. VMWare, VirtualBox) on here? If so, which one would you all recommend to run linux on windows 7?

Last edited:
Years
Ugh, I hope there isn't a virus on my server. I had to reboot it earlier tonight for updates and now when I try to log back in, I'm refused. It says "loading your personal settings" then goes to "saving your settings". Same happens with any account I use.

Years
At least the files are still on my server if I need to open it up and get the hard drive out of it and get the important files. But I'm gonna try refreshing it with the Windows files to see if all is well. And if not, then I'll just get a Linux LiveCD then check for viruses and then reinstall from scratch.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Some antimalware providers use a live CD based on Windows Preinstallation Environment, the same environment that you end up in during Windows setup and System Recovery/Recovery Environment. I wonder how they perform compared to a *nix-based antimalware live CD.

Years
Well, using an antimalware CD is out of the question for me, considering I don't have any :p I used MSE on the machine and last night noticed strange behavior when the fan kept getting loud with minimal CPU usage and the fact that the virus definitions weren't updating on it, despite me telling it to.

The machine had 40 weeks of uptime as well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
You could certainly download a disc image file of an antimalware live CD if needed.

Years
Anyone use virtualization software (eg. VMWare, VirtualBox) on here? If so, which one would you all recommend to run linux on windows 7?

I'm currently using VMWare to run Windows 7 on my Macbook, but it's only for my school program because there's a couple programs that do not have a Mac alternative. Having installed Windows 7 before separately, without using a virtualization program, I prefer the former over the latter mainly because it means having another program open and I don't like having multiple things open. Not entirely sure if it's just my Macbook, but VMWare running Win7 runs very slow. I thought 4GB RAM would be sufficient...But yeah, not sure if that helped you. I'm sorry >.<

Years

I use VirtualBox because it's free and what we used in my schooling in college, so I'm familiar with it. It's pretty stable I've found. I couldn't tell you if VMWare Player is on par or anything, though, as I've never used it.

Well, using an antimalware CD is out of the question for me, considering I don't have any :p I used MSE on the machine and last night noticed strange behavior when the fan kept getting loud with minimal CPU usage and the fact that the virus definitions weren't updating on it, despite me telling it to.

The machine had 40 weeks of uptime as well.

You should install the system updates and reboot at least once a month in the future. :P

Some antimalware providers use a live CD based on Windows Preinstallation Environment, the same environment that you end up in during Windows setup and System Recovery/Recovery Environment. I wonder how they perform compared to a *nix-based antimalware live CD.

That right there is the question of the day. The big thing is, they're probably not free.

Years
VirtualBox sucks with Windows 9x operating systems and drivers, and that's the only con I can think of. Other than that, Virtualbox is definitely a stable operating system virtualization environment for sure, and it's very universal with just about every operating system (except for those that are closed-source to devices like iOS)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
That right there is the question of the day. The big thing is, they're probably not free.

The thing is they can be free. Surprised me, but seeing as it's Microsoft's own product, yeah. If anything, I'd reckon that Windows-based antimalware live CDs should be more aware of what's going on in a Windows system and should have less of a chance of making unexpected changes to surrounding data and/or the file system.

I use VMware Player for my virtualization needs, as it turns out VirtualBox ain't cutting it for my needs. You can create VM boxes with it - it should be good enough for me, since I'm a student. :D

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
You reminded me that I used to use VM programs like VMware, Virtualbox and Virtual PC. I missed my old days of installing Windows 98 in my VM box just for fun. And I like it. Lately I'm using Virtualbox more, one of the reasons was because of Aero theme support for Windows Vista and up.

Years
The thing is they can be free. Surprised me, but seeing as it's Microsoft's own product, yeah. If anything, I'd reckon that Windows-based antimalware live CDs should be more aware of what's going on in a Windows system and should have less of a chance of making unexpected changes to surrounding data and/or the file system.
Hmm, I didn't realize that Microsoft made those.. would it work on Server 2003 though? I would at least hope it does..

Years

I use VMware Player for my virtualization needs, as it turns out VirtualBox ain't cutting it for my needs. You can create VM boxes with it - it should be good enough for me, since I'm a student. :D

That may actually come in handy for me for the PCs of relatives. I think I'll download it now.

Does your school give you a license for it? Or is this just a personal license that you obtained for yourself?

EDIT: Zach, be prepared to phase that Server 2003 box out within the next year: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecy...=PN&alpha=Windows+Server+2003&Filter=FilterNO

End of life for it is July 14, 2015.

Years
Oh, I took note of the Server 2003 end-of-life date a few weeks ago from curiosity, so I had less to worry about and whatnot. The only thing my server runs is stuff for my IRC server and nothing more, really. As much as I want to load a Unix-based server OS onto it, I'm just not too familiar with Unix commands yet.

And the reason the machine runs Server 2003 is because of lower-end specs. It's got like a 2GHz Celeron single-core processor in it with 228MB internal video memory and 2GB RAM.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Oh, I took note of the Server 2003 end-of-life date a few weeks ago from curiosity, so I had less to worry about and whatnot. The only thing my server runs is stuff for my IRC server and nothing more, really. As much as I want to load a Unix-based server OS onto it, I'm just not too familiar with Unix commands yet.

And the reason the machine runs Server 2003 is because of lower-end specs. It's got like a 2GHz Celeron single-core processor in it with 228MB internal video memory and 2GB RAM.

Try looking up for this model in Amazon or Newegg. Sure, it's a Bay Trail Celeron, but even that is probably miles beyond your Celeron at this point and more efficient. You only need to find a 2.5" HDD, a stick of DDR3 laptop memory and some kind of OS to stick inside it, and off you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back