• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What was your first impressions of the game back in January 2013

Years
  • I remember anticipating the Hoenn remakes and getting some trailer for a 3d Pokemon game, making me sad. The transition was so out of place, so when first seeing it I thought it was a spinoff, but then I realized it was mainseries. I slowly got more optimistic about it with the 3d models, worldwide release, and the possibilities presented in the trailer (the mirror shown which hinted to customization). Of course, the games got a lot more appealing with the pokemon, region, and mega evolution.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • All I know is that when I got X and Y for christmas in 2013, I almost crapped my pants and I cried with joy lol. I literally could not sleep the night before because I was up all night thinking of what generation 6 may have in store for me. As for ORAS, I got it on Christmas the following year but since it's a remake and I already knew what to expect, I wasn't as psyched about it. But just thinking about the anticipation I had makes me jump out of my seat! :D

Axel Rose

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    When I heard about X/Y I wasn't particularly thrilled because the 3D looked god-awful. But after looking through the Pokedex and finding the panda equivalent to myself (Pancham damnit) I brightened up. I stole my sister's birthday file (after a struggle and a black eye) and I eventually got used to it. The trick is to turn your 3DS brightness up and it looks slightly less vomit-worthy.

Sure, the story line wasn't gripping and Shauna was a pain in the neck but overall it was a somewhat positive experience.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I remember my first impression being something along the lines of, "but Black and White like just came out" lol. I was really honestly expecting Ruby/Sapphire remakes when there was hype about the big announcement leading up to XY, because it completely caught everyone by surprise.

The more I found out about it - being based on Kalos, the new Pokémon, the character designs, the more I grew to love it rather quickly, however.

Years
  • I recall the moment I was super hyped and Froakie was actually my least fave Kalos starter back then. I bashed the little frog for being "ugly" but then he impressed me in the months leading up to the release and now he is my fave.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Aside from Serena's design, I wasn't impressed at first, and the "rivals" seemed like they would be truly horrendous characters. I also thought riding Pokemon would be a pain in the rear.

Hearing about character customizations helped change my mind. And the games themselves ended up being far better than I thought, though the "rivals" still ended up being horrendous characters and most to the rideable Pokemon turned out to be a pain in the rear to maneuver.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I... Was angry. INFURIATED, even. Gen5 was growing to be one of my favourite generations back then, and it didn't feel right for it to end so soon, and break the trend of generations lasting 4 years at the same time. Also, like some people, wanted gen3 remakes. It made sense because it was going to turn 10 years old back then, and I never played the gba generation. Ever. So I decided to bash gen6 repetitively on the internet, and decided that XY would be the only newer gen games in the series that I wouldn't buy.

My opinion changed over time, and I decided to give the series another change. I was glad I did that. I was overwhelmed by the game; the variety was amazing, the new EXP share made things faster, the design of the game was just great, and it's just satisfying to stomp everything with a Greninja and a Charizard. My only problem with the game is that the plot was only okay and I dislike some of the characters, and my only problem with the generation is that I feel it had the worst bunch of mons ever. But XY were still great in a way they were memorable.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • At the time I had mixed feelings and I still have. Character customization, mega evolutions and the new pokémon I liked, but also 3d on the main series games was like throwing out my childhood and I think that sprites work for pokémon better than 3d models. The colours were awfull and the game lagged really hard in some places and that is even without the 3d mode. These are just the features, but the game's horrible story and characters who I don't care anything about and the fact the game is so easy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    Honestly, my level of hype for X and Y was the highest its been for a Pokemon game since the original Hoenn games came out. And they mostly delivered: I kinda like the story despite the hate it gets, and just having all 700+ Pokemon with the new graphics was so epic.

I wasn't as fussed for ORAS, cause it was using the exact same graphics and I already knew the story. I wish they had changed it up a bit so it was in the same region, but the story was much different.

Last edited:

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • I was crazy excited about the games, and that they were all in 3D! That fact alone reminded me of the Colosseum and XD games on the gamecube where I would spend most of my time as a kid.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I loved playing through when I'd first gotten my hands on them; new graphic style, updated mechanics, more features... I feel they were all fun to experience and get familiar with. Though, second time I had played, it wasn't as interesting, unfortunately, as I wasn't distracted by other things then and have realized how fast-paced the storyline seemed to have been. If they were to keep their story a little more slow and detailed, I believe X and Y would've been more enjoyable.

Years
  • I was pretty ecstatic. I remember coming home from school and looking at the direct/trailer and being blown away. I hadn't been interested in the franchise since around the time B/W launched too (which I found dissapointing after a while, and stopped playing pretty quick, although I like games now).

It was the first time I'd followed a generation until release, so it was really fun/painful eagerly awaiting every piece of news through corocoro and what not and discussing it to no end. When the games were launched I had a ton of fun. and played them alot until around the 6th gym, where I just kinda lost interest lol, as once I took my hype glasses off I felt it was kind of dissapointing with the lack of new pokemon and what not. (I picked up X again recently and am now realizing how great it is though!)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My first impressions to XY were actually bad, the slow frame rates from the trailers really irritated me. It's generation six already, yet the frame rate is still slow.

My actual experience with XY is 'almost-terrible'. Aside the slow frame rate, there's the bad plot, bad post-game content. The graphics are good though, at least they really did put their effort in that department.

Back