• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Allowance.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I guess you could say my allowance is the SSI check I get every month. Other than that, no... I don't get allowance. I don't function well with doing chores and such, so my parents stopped giving it. XD I also can't hold down a job either because of disability reasons. Believe me, I tried holding down a job once through a life skills class... it did not go over well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I didn't get an allowance, my dad torrented video games for me until I was old enough to figure it out myself. With torrents and a library card I managed to keep myself entertained enough without needing money; more or less the same as what I do now.

I wouldn't give my kids an allowance (if I ever have any). I'd tell them about things that cost little or no money. If they really wanted to buy something then they can ask me and I'd decide if I buy it for them, or tell them what chores to do to receive it.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I am still dependent on my parents, still live at home and do not yet have a job, so yes, I do get an allowance. It usually ranges from a RM50 to RM100 when I run out, depending on my needs.

Years
  • IMO if you give an allowance it should be used to teach money management and not as a feel good.

That might be what my family's trying to instill. Like, to be perfectly honest, I've done nothing in terms of chores or anything to be rewarded with money; my parents never really believed in chores for either my sister or myself. And yet they still insist, and my sister has also been giving an allowance every 2 weeks ever since she started working. I'm learning the reins of money management and budgeting from my sister c:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I got an allowance when I went to University, as my parents wanted me to focus on studying rather than trying to juggle work, of about £100-150 a month.

Since I started a full time job though I've been paying them £200/month to equal us out a bit and repay a portion of that money.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • I get an allowance of about $48 a month, divided over $12 a week. I don't get it as a measure of freedom or anything; my dad sees it as a reward for going to school and doing good in it. Whether or not I actually get my weekly $12 dollars depends on certain school-related factors, such as grades, attendance, and whether or not I get in trouble. Luckily I haven't had a problem with the latter two, but the first... meh. I'm also supposed to get my allowance raised every year by $2, but whether or not that actually happens depends on my end of the year marks. Also, the allowance stops over the summer, so I can't buy **** now unless I get a job.

I haven't really talked to him about it, but I figure he'll stop the allowance when I actually get a job. And that seems fair to me. I'd be getting a crapton more than he's giving me every month, so it's no big deal, and he'd have no reason to add onto that. He does still give me like $20-$30 on occasion, when I do really good at tests and stuff, so I might still get those little bonuses.

But I ain't plannin' on getting a job now. Probably wait 'till I'm 16 for that. Much higher chance.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never got allowance as a kid, but I never really bought stuff besides necessities. For video games I just use the money I get working for my parent's company or babysitting. I plan on getting a real job when I can! Don't want to just work for my parents D:

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • My parents have tried the allowance thing several times... never really worked out well for whatever reason.

I guess my "Allowance" for the past year or so... actually, been this way for years while I'm living with my dad, is just... all the loose change I could find in the house. My dad never really has a use for loose change, so he lets me have it. the past month or two though, he's been a bit generous and letting me keep a few loose dollar bills.

Slow and painful way, but I guess it's teaching me to be patient or something? *shrug* in previous years it added up quickly when my dad used to drive a cab, since he made a lot of money and spent a lot too.

Nowadays it's not like I just sit around and do nothing, I DO have to help him take care of my elder grandmother, so, yeah, I guess it could be said that I've earned it. And also, I live in the middle of nowhere, can't drive, and live with my dad. So getting a job is a bit tricky anyhow. Somehow though, I think even when I get a job my dad'll probably still spoil me. XD

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I've never gotten an allowance; the closest thing to an allowance was the 20 dollars I'd get for two weeks worth of lunch in high school. Honestly, it was never a burden on me, cause I rarely went ahead and actually used money. Weird concept, I suppose, not using money often (I find it remarkable today, now that I have a job and a relatively constant influx of money).

Do I think there's anything wrong with kids getting an allowance? I don't, but I like the idea of it coming from chores and actual work more than the kid just getting free money. It teaches kids how to handle money at a young age, which becomes pretty critical in life later on. When I first got a job, which was also the first time I actually had money to call mine, it was a chore to maintain my spending habits. I didn't (and honestly still dont ahaha) receive a great amount of cash per week. Add the fact back then I was dating and whatnot, and you learn quickly that money gets spent on a lot of things. Being able to understand that at a young age helps, and for that reason, I think allowances are just fine.

That being said, I also find it perfectly reasonable for a child to not get an allowance. That, in and of itself, can teach a person something as well. It's more difficult, yes, but livable.

Back