• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apps

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Semi-old topic. Wanted more opinions!

The Pokémon Applications! What i mean by this is, usually these are the small and 'nifty' devices that we get along our travels, for example, the Pokegear from Gen 2, and the PokeNav in Gen 3. Basically what the topic asks here is:

Which Pokémon App is your favourite? Why?
    Which one proved to be the most useful for you?

Just to provide a list of them here:

Gen 1: Fame Checker

Technically there wasn't a Pokemon App in the Gen 1 games, but on Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed, there was something introduced called the 'fame checker', where it basically shows information about the different NPCs in pokemon:

Apps

It can be about Gym Leaders, or other important characters (like Professor Oak). Usually we'd have to hunt for the NPCs who say different stuff about these important characters and if we collect them all, the important characters will say.. something to us! The Fame Checker device itself has four black circular buttons on the left side, and on the right side it has a Poké Ball-shaped button or wheel split into three different portions.

Gen 2: Pokégear

Gen 2's Gold, Silver and Crystal, as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver introduces the Pokégear. displays the map of the region, names of previously fought Trainers, and the current time. It also allows players to call registered Trainers for idle chat, to battle, or if they found any items for them!

Apps

It also has different functions within the Pokegear that we'd have to unlock. These are: Time, Map, Phone, and the Radio. The Radio has different shows, in which on Fridays, we can listen to a show called Beuna's Password, to win prizes!

Gen 3: PokéNav

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald introduces the PokéNav, a device made by the Devon Corp! t displays the map of the region, names of previously fought Trainers, conditions of Pokémon, and the Ribbons on the Pokémon.

Apps

It has several functions, which are: Map, Condition, Trainer's Eyes, Match Call, and Ribbons!

Gen 4: Pokétch

In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it's the Pokétch, developed by the The Pokétch Company! In short, it's basically like a watch for trainers, that has a variety of different functions!

Apps

It has 25 different functions, which are: a Digital Watch, a Calculator function, a Memo Pad, a Pedometer, Pokémon List, a nice Friendship Checker, a Dowsing Machine, Berry Searcher, Day Care Checker, Pokémon History (like it keeps track of the Pokémon you have obtained), a Counter, Analog Watch, Marking Map, Link Searcher, a Coin Toss function, Move Tester, a Calendar, Dot Artist, a Roulette machine, a Trainer Counter, Kitchen Timer, a Color Changer to change the color of the poketch screens, a Matchup Checker, Stopwatch, and finally an Alarm Clock. Wow.

Gen 5: The C-Gear

This gen, Black, White, Black 2 and White 2, introduces the C-Gear, created by Fennel. it maintains a list of players which are encountered using the DS's wireless capabilities, and various surveys can be conducted!

Apps

It has the Xtransceiver, that can be used to communicate with other players nearby using wireless, where up to 4 players can talk to each other using a radio-like system and, if they have a Nintendo DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS and camera function is not disabled, see each other! The Entralink is a function that warps the character to the.. um, Entralink, and Pokémon befriended in the Pokémon Dream World and items obtained in the Dream World can be obtained here. It also has Game Sync, and Infrared.

Gen 6: Player Search System, Pokémon-Amie, Super Training, and Advanced PokeNav

Gen 6 introduces a variety of pokemon apps, like the Player Search System, where you can find and battle with trainers instantly, as well as pokemon Amie, where you can play with your pokemon, and Super Training, to give EVs to your pokemon.

Apps

ORAS introduces a newly advanced version of the PokeNav from Gen 3, where it has the DexNav to help find pokemon, and the areanav that's located on the bottom.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Does the PokeWalker count? :)

That aside though, I really enjoyed the DexNav in OR/AS. It was very handy for me, as it helped me remember all the Pokemon that I caught in a given area. I also love the PSS, because, as Ben said, it has so many handy features for connecting with other people. Whenever I'm breeding and I get a Pokemon I don't want, I just wonder trade it away, and it's pretty handy that you can do it right from the bottom menu.

The Pokegear in Gen 2 is also quite useful, since it lets you battle NPC's more than once when they call you for rematches (though it's kind of annoying when they call just to chat *looks at Joey and his Rattata*).

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I used to use the Poketch for tallying EVs. It was pretty nice, since you don't have to bother with a pen and paper, which gets to be a bit tedious when I'm EV training in 5th or 6th gen.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    PSS deserves to be best apps in-game ever, you don't need silly friend codes anymore and you can hook with pokemon fans all over the world in real time and they be acquainted, so far amie was a fun feature which allow interaction with pokemon and gain perks while doing so, Super training wasn't decent and it can be monotonously boring after all awhile

The PSS just allow anyone to instantly access GTS or wonder trade with strangers all over the world.

The Steps Counter and Breed Matchups in Gen4 are most useful for breeding and hatching purpose there, also the map marking function is useful to catch roaming legendary and Friendship Checker essentially useful for pokemon like togepi or those evolve thru happiness.

Years
  • ...I wonder if the PSS would be my favorite as well if I actually used it. X) But honestly, out of all those apps in Gen 6, it's the Pokemon-Amie that I've used the most so far, no lie. Though I haven't even done much in the way of anything online-related in that game, so. Guess I'll just stick with playing games with my pokemon for now.

Otherwise my favorite is the Poketch, if only for...the stupid dowsing machine. Or at least that's what I've kept it on the most so far in Platinum. Hey, I like finding free items, okay. But again, haven't really done much else that requires the other parts of the Poketch so opinions might change at some point. :P

Years
  • I always loved the Pokétc. It was really useful back then. I also liked being able to see my team members and their HP bars down there without having to look in my party. I often replay through DPPt, so I would still say that its my favorite.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Poketch was really cool, but I only used it for observing if the Pokémon in the daycare had an egg. I never really cared about most of the other devices. The only useful thing the PokéNav has, for example was the Match Call option, but on that field nothing can beat the VS seeker.

Years
  • The Poketch from Diamond, Pearl & Platinum was my fave of the ingame apps, with all those nifty features it came with plus it was the first device to have different colours based on the player's gender, with a blue one for males and a pink one for females.

The other generations' versions were okay, but couldn't beat Sinnoh here.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I personally like the PokéGear, it was really the first one to bring these types of features around. I thought the radio was a very cool idea, especially how it was implemented into the plot of the games as well.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I like PokéNav, i personally think it is better than PokeGear because of its appereance and structure.It is like the remake of PokeGear.But in addition it is the only one to introduce ribbons system in the games, in addition it also has maps which are useful and pretty combined rather than putting in our bag.

Years
  • The Pokétch is my favourite because it has so many useful functions and feels like an actual gadget!

The PSS, Pokemon-Amie, Super Training, Map and DexNav from Gen 6 are awesome and indispensable but feel more of a second screen rather than a gadget.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited:

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • The Poketch was by far my favorite, though my favorite individual function is Pokemon Amie. Poketch just gave us such a large variety of incredibly useful features. It made me actually use the touch screen frequently and made me feel like the touch screen, you know... mattered.

Back