• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokemon Generations

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
  • So here's a story based loosely on pokemon gold and silver, red and blue, and who knows where it will go from there. It will explore among many other things, a more realistic, grittier approach to the pokemon world and how things change from generation to generation of trainers. Well, I'll shut up and let you get reading!

Chapter One

Could it really be the day? He'd spent so long waiting and now that it was finally time, it didn't even seem real. He was finally going to become a Pokemon trainer. Slipping on a pair of baggy blue jeans and a black t-shirt, he stood in front of his mirror patting down some of the wilder portions of his hair. It'd be useless to try to get it to stay down without soaking it, of course. Shrugging, he started his way down the stairs.

He stopped at the bottom, hearing his dad and his grandma talking quietly in the kitchen. "I know, but…"

His father sounded like he was bothered by something. "Now, listen here Ted, Anya was a free spirit. Always was, and will remain so in our hearts. Do you think she would have wanted her son cooped up here forever? It's bad enough that you hung up your belt when she died…" An almost comical snort came from the Blastoise Matt knew would be sitting beside the table.

Blastro, or just Blast for short, was as much a part of their little family as anybody else. It was just the four of them living here. His dad's old team lived with Professor Elm, besides Blast. They were originally from Kanto, but had started living here in Goldenrod after his mom died. He could almost remember her sometimes. "Really now Ted, he's 14 now. Most kids start when they are 10 or 11 years old. He has the spirit, and now is as good a time as any, what with that egg having hatched."

He heard his dad sigh. "You're right, of course. I just really wish you weren't."

Blast snorted again. He made it quite obvious that he thought Matt should be a trainer by now, every chance he got. He had once been a great fighter, possibly champion making material, but his dad had given up just short of making it to the Pokemon League Tournaments. The big pokemon still resented that decision. Matt stood up, made a show of walking down the stairs, and acted like he hadn't heard anything. He sat down, and smiled at his grandma, and she gave him a wink.

After an uneventful breakfast and a shower, Matt headed off to the pokemon center to meet Professor Elm, who was making a special visit to deliver a pokemon. A flock of pidgey flew overhead, startled away by the sound of a houndour barking. It was another typical day in the city. He walked through the pokemon center's automatic doors. He rarely had occasion to actually come in here, usually just to pick up some medicine for Blast if he got sick. He waved at Nurse Joy. Rumor was, one of her relatives ran every pokemon center in the world. Supposedly, the first pokemon center was founded by her ancestor, generations back or something, and that Joy was really her surname.

"Hello Matt. Big day, huh?" He nodded, and she smiled knowingly. "I was actually just talking to the professor. He went upstairs, I think." "Thanks" He said, turning toward the large pair of escalators. He was in such a hurry he didn't notice the dark haired girl coming from the other way, and bumped into her. She gave him a nasty look, and walked away, as if he were a disease.

"Sheesh." He muttered to himself, as he rode up the escalator. By the time he got to the top, he'd nearly forgotten about it anyways, and he looked around. This was the part of the center he was most familiar with. There was a café, and a pharmacy, as well as doors that led to battling rooms. He'd spent many hours watching battles in here on weekends, when he wasn't busy with school. He still wasn't sure how school was going to work once he was always out on adventures, but he didn't really dwell on it much. Who cares, right?

A tap on the shoulder broke him from his thoughts. "Matt, there you are! How are you? Is your father well? How is Blast? Oh, and…" He stopped, realizing he had started to babble again. "Heheh, anyways, come over here, would you." Matt followed along behind him, to one of the nearby tables. "Dad's good, Blast is as lazy as ever, and I'm great. Grandma's good too." He added the last bit in, to answer the question the professor hadn't finished.

He'd known Elm most of his life, since they moved to this region. "Ten years, huh professor?" Elm looked at him, puzzled for a moment. Then he nodded. "Yes, I suppose it has been that long, hasn't it now?" He pulled a pokeball out of the bag sitting on the table. "Certainly long past time you got your own pokemon, too. This one has just hatched, so it should be very easy to make friends. Go ahead, let him out."

The moment of truth, he thought to himself. He knew he would love whatever pokemon was in here, but that didn't stop him from being nervous nonetheless. So many what if's. Slowly, he pressed the button on the pokeball, causing it to expand, and again, to release the pokemon inside. A glow of red light escaped the pokeball, just like it always did, and there stood a little blue and tan pokemon he didn't recognize. "This is an extremely rare species of pokemon called Cyndaquil. I was lucky enough to acquire an egg a few months ago, and thought it would be fitting for you to have it. Matt smiled down at the pokemon, and it looked at him, not quite comprehending. It sat down on the table, and he knelt down in front of it. "Hello. My name's Matt." He wasn't altogether sure it would understand him, but he knew Blast understood people, and figured pokemon would have to understand them to battle, right?

The little pokemon poked him with his snout, and gave him a look that seemed to speak. Elm sat there, smiling happily. "Are you going to name him?" It was less a question, and more a reminder. Matt nodded. "I think I'll ask for some help from grandma though. It's kinda hard to name a pokemon when you don't know anything about it." Elm nodded, obviously in agreement. He'd had his fair share of naming unknown species of pokemon, so he understood the feeling. "I think I will stop by for a visit before I go back to New Bark Town anyways."

Walking down the street, his new pokemon perched on his shoulder, he and Professor Elm wove their way through the now crowded streets of Goldenrod. When they got back, Blast was laying on his belly in the sunlight from the window, right in the middle of the living room. "Blast, old pal!" Elm knelt down, and gave him a pat on the head, to which the pokemon responded with a "Blaaaaas." Which presumably meant, "I was sleeping." But the pokemon got up nonetheless, and grabbed the professor in a big, but gentle hug. Then the big pokemon noticed the baby Cyndaquil on Matt's shoulder, and seemed to grin.

Blastro bent down, looking at the little pokemon. It hopped up on his head, and he sat down on the floor. The Cyndaquil slid down his shell, and sat down beside him. Matt's dad and grandmother walked into the room, and Elm and his father started talking quietly in a corner. Grandma knelt down beside the pokemon, and said "Tai. That's this one's name." Grandma had a way with names. The pokemon's ears perked up, and he looked right at her. Matt let the word roll off his tongue. "Tai…" He liked it.

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
    Years
  • Chapter Two

Professor Elm had set off for New Bark Town at around lunchtime, leaving Matt with his new pokemon Tai, as well as a pokedex. Not many trainers had one, but Matt's family had strong ties to the International Research Foundation. One had been left with Elm years ago, when Matt was supposed to have become a pokemon trainer.

Matt had decided to show Tai around the city, and Blast was insistent on accompanying him and the baby pokemon. He trailed behind the pair a little ways, his heavy footsteps sending stray pokemon scurrying away into the alleys of the city. The little Cyndaquil sat on his trainer's shoulder, staring around the big city with ravenous curiousity, taking in all the sights and smells.

"And this is the pokemon mart, they sell all kinds of stuff for pokemon and their trainers here." Matt pointed at a building with a blue roof, and all kinds of pokeballs and other goods displayed at the window. A cheerful Clefairy stood outside the door, waving a big red sign with the word "SALE" written on it.

"Let's go check it out, huh?" Matt approached the big double doors, looking around with interest at all the shelves in the store. Tai jumped off his shoulder, scampering over to a shelf displaying a variety of berries and pokemon food. He sniffed curiously at the shelf. With a big grin, Matt picked out a few berries and a box of chocolate poffins for the little pokemon. "We better make sure we're prepared properly, huh? Let's see… There!" His attention was caught by a case of pokeballs. On the package in large lettering it said "Buy 10, get 1 free!", and looking closer he saw that one was an odd white color with a red seal. Blast let out a little snort, presumably amused at the new trainer's excitement over things like pokeballs. The Blastoise grabbed a black and white bag and held it out to Matt.

"Oh! Guess I'm gonna need somewhere to put all this huh…" He took the bag, turning it over in his hands. "Thanks Blast!"

Matt's father pulled an old wooden box out of the closet, brushing the dust off. "He's a strong boy, Zane. Like his mother. This is what she wanted. This is what she fought for." His mother-in-law reached up to put her hand on his shoulder.

"Strong like his mother… That's what I'm afraid of."

The old woman pulled at his ear. "Strong like you too. This is what you both fought for. That Blast, he knows it too… It's peaceful out there, because my daughter and her husband, they risked everything. Frankly child, I'm not going to let you forget it." She gave him a toothy grin and shuffled off to tend to a whistling teapot. Zane set the box up on the table, pushing his glasses up his nose and looking out the window into the late afternoon sky. A flock of Pidgey and Pidgeotto flew overhead, but in his mind he could picture a great flaming bird, a young woman clinging to its neck. Anya. "How could I forget?" He asked of nobody in particular.

Matt, Tai, and Blastro were walking down the sidewalk, heading home after making a few more quick stops. The giant water pokemon seemed to have an unusual spring to his step, chanting along in tune to some song in his head. Tai sat on his head, looking sleepy. Matt walked beside them, bag packed full of supplies Blast had helped him pick out. It was a nice day, with a gentle breeze and a smattering of small clouds. The city was alive, people and pokemon going about their day. Walking by the park, Matt noticed a lot of shouting and excitement, where a small crowd of kids his age or younger seemed to be gathered. "Let's go see what's up?" Tai perked up, watching the crowd. "Blaaaas", the Blastoise seemed to agree. As they got closer, Matt could see past the gaggle of kids and recognized two pokemon battling in the grass. One was a Noctowl, a large brown bird pokemon, known for putting pokemon to sleep and other special psychic type techniques. The other was a pink dog pokemon, standing on its hind legs. A Snubbull, he knew it was called.

Matt could hear the shouts of the trainers, calling for a headbutt and a tackle respectively, but was busy watching the pokemon themselves. The Snubbull charged across the grass, leaping at the other pokemon, but the Noctowl easily avoided the midair attack. It flew up, whirling backward and diving back down to slam into the bulldog pokemon. The Snubbull crashed to the ground, looking dazed. It seemed pretty clear that the Noctowl had a significant advantage in the air, but the Snubbull jumped to its feet at its trainer's next call. "Thunder Fang!" rang clear and the little pokemon sparked with electricity as it leapt straight up, catching the Noctowl's wing in its teeth. The pink pokemon landed on all fours, the Noctowl struggling in its mouth as it was jolted with electricity. When its trainer shouted out for it to use Confusion, it hit the Snubbull with a blast of psychic energy, shaking itself loose from the other pokemon's jaws. The Snubbull tumbled backward and managed to get to its feet.

"Thunder FANG!"

"BARRIER!"

The Snubbull rushed forward with a mad gleam in its eyes, sparks leaping off of it. It leapt at the Noctowl, which spread its wings wide as if to take flight, but suddenly the Snubbull crashed into something like a wall. The air in front of it shattered like glass with the impact, the fragments dissipating into the surrounding air. The pokemon wavered, and fell over in the grass, unable to get back up. The Noctowl shook its wings, looking smug as it took flight again.

The bird pokemon landed next to its trainer, and for the first time Matt's attention was drawn to her. She was a little shorter than most girls Matt's age, maybe she was a couple years younger. Her hair was dark and fell freely down her back, and she was wearing a plain white top and denim shorts. More distinctive was her trainer's belt, purple and black with a Crobat belt buckle, and what appeared to be a full team of pokemon.

The other trainer was an older guy, maybe seventeen or so, with spiky blue hair and a white trenchcoat. He was wearing a funny pair of blue sunglasses and a harness that was slung over one shoulder, his pokeballs clipped on across his chest. He plucked a ball from the harness and called the defeated Snubbull back. "Alas young madam, it appears my victory was not to be!" The guy whipped his trenchcoat up in one hand like a cape, bowing to his opponent with a flourish. What a weird guy. Matt thought, watching him.

"Good try. Maybe next time, guy." The girl waved her hand toward him, then knelt down next to her Noctowl, brushing its feathers straight and saying something to it before calling it back into its pokeball.

The guy adjusted his sunglasses and seemed to look over at Matt. "Oh, what titanic grace! Such form! A dazzling lord of destruction! WHAT, may I ask, is THAT?!" The girl raised an eyebrow in his direction, coming to her feet.

"Pardon?"

He pointed at Blastro, who Matt noticed was enjoying the sudden attention. "I refer to that wonderous creature, oh fearsome maiden of battle! Surely fate smiles upon this meeting, for I am at a loss!"

"BLAAAAST" The big pokemon snorted and sent a little squirt of water up into the air, stomping his feet.

Matt was embarassed, his face a little red. "Um.. That's Blastro, he's a Blastoise. They're native to Kanto, but I don't think there are very many of them..."

"Oh, perfection thy name is Blastoise! May I touch him, good sir!?"

Seriously who talks like that?! "Ummm… sure. If he's ok with it I guess." Next thing he knew, the kids were all gathered around Blastro, and Tai was looking around from atop his head, wide-eyed at all the attention. The little pokemon hopped down into Matt's arms, making himself comfortable. "Probably too many people for you huh.. I mean you're just a baby." He scratched the little pokemon's head, calming him down.

"What's that one called?" A voice came from behind him. It was the girl, her arms were crossed and she didn't look very happy but she couldn't quite keep the curiousity out of her voice. "This is Tai. He's a Cyndaquil. He just hatched today so…"

"Oh. You know, you should watch where you're going, running into people. Stupid."

"What?" His confusion faded relatively fast. This was the girl he bumped into that morning, he just hadn't realized it. "Oh that. I'm really sorry, I was in a hurry to go pick up this little guy."

She turned her head to look away. "Well. Ok, I'm sorry too. I bumped into you too anyway. So you must be some big-shot trainer or something, huh?"

He shook his head, "No, actually I wasn't allowed to be a trainer until recently. This little guy is my first pokemon… and well, I don't know much about battling." She turned her head back toward him, giving him an odd look, pointing at Blast. "What about him then?"

Matt watched Blast playing with the kids, acting like a sprinkler. "Blast is my dad's pokemon. He retired after… well, he didn't want me to be a trainer. I don't know what changed his mind."

The girl watched from beside him as the trainer in the trenchcoat belted out energetic lines of dialogue from some show or play. Some of the kids seemed to recognize it and applauded his performance. She was quiet for a while, arms still crossed.

"Do you live here? What's your name?" She asked the questions rather fast, still sounding mad about something.

"Uh… My name's Matt Arrin, I live here in the city." She sure is interested, all of a sudden.

"Good, you can show me around. I'm from New Bark Town. Catalina Fay. I'm here to get a gym badge." She held her hand out for him to shake, and for the first time since she saw him she didn't look mad. He reached out and shook her hand, feeling a little relieved. "Hey Matt, I gotta ask. I've heard this city's gym leader is crazy strong. Is that true?"

"Well, I've seen Whitney battle before, but I've never seen her lose. She uses a really powerful Miltank, if that helps." She's totally just using me to scope out her opponent!

"Well, thanks. I'm gonna win, you know. No way I'll lose!" The hard edge was back in her voice, but it didn't seem directed at him. "Meet me here tomorrow morning. You can show me around then. Um, please?"

The small crowd had started to disperse, as people headed home for the day. Blast was napping in the grass, and the weird guy was still there, drawing Blast on a sketch pad. Matt was sitting beside him, curious. "So, did thy fair battle maiden leave a phone number?" He asked, a playful grin on his face. His pencil scratched skillfully on the page, and his attention was fully on the Blastoise napping in the grass. "Um, she wants me to show her around the city tomorrow I guess."

"Ahhh, the sacred duty of the tour guide, yes! Perhaps ye shall make a friend! Unfriendly though she may be, the maiden of battle, an exterior you see!" He had finished his sketch, a fairly accurate likeness of the pokemon before him. He's really weird… but he really doesn't care what people think, does he?

"That's a really good sketch. Oh, I'm Matt Arrin. Today is my first day as a trainer… maybe you've got some pointers?" He ran his fingers over Tai's fur, the little pokemon was curled up in his lap. The other trainer pushed his sunglasses up, looking at him closely. "Oh! Mr. Arrin, what a fateful day, what a fateful day indeed! Ohhh, the start of a grand adventure, all your very own! A pleasure, truly. You may call me Elliander the Great! Or just Elliander, or Eli, those are acceptable. As a trainer, a bond between thy partner and thyself is most imperative! Remember this, if nothing else!" The trainer pulled out an elaborate card, and handed it to Matt. "Should there be trouble, I shall assist thee, young trainer! Alas I must be off, there is much to do."

It took several minutes to wake Blast up, but soon enough the three reached the door of the Arrin residence. The sun was low in the sky, and dusk was fast approaching.

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
    Years
  • Chapter Three

"We're home!" Matt announced as the trio arrived. Grandmother was knitting in her favorite chair, and his father was doing paperwork at the kitchen table. Also on the table was a box which he'd never seen before. "Welcome home, deary. Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, there was some battling in the park, and we got lots of good supplies. Blast helped pick them out." He looked over at the big turtle pokemon, already sprawled on his belly, in the middle of the sitting room, looking comfortable. A loud snort of amusement came from the Blastoise. Tai hopped down from Matt's arms, curling up next to the bigger pokemon. "I've got some stuff to do tomorrow morning too."

His father smiled up at him from his seat at the table. "Now Matt... I told you you didn't have to worry about getting a few things. There are things your mother and I… we set them aside for the day you became a trainer." He pointed at the box on the table, "Go ahead and open it up." Undoing the latch carefully, Matt lifted the lid up. Inside was a belt, a badge case, and an unusual looking pokegear. The belt was a dark red, and the six pokeball slots were shining metallic claws. The buckle was a disk divided into three segments, the top center a crimson color, the bottom two yellow and a light blue. In the center was a smaller image of a pokeball. It was a symbol he'd seen before. He just couldn't remember where. The same symbol was engraved onto the top badge case, which was otherwise just a silvery metallic case. The pokegear was a sleek black model, one he wasn't familiar with. Older maybe, but it didn't really look older. If anything it looked newer than the current generation of pokegear. "Hey dad? What's this symbol? I've seen it before, in old pictures of you and mom I think."

His father nodded his head in acknowledgement. "You're probably right. It's not a symbol people use anymore. It used to be the symbol of an organization in Kanto that protected rare and endangered pokemon. The Kanto Preservation Society. Our family were members for generations, up until its disbanding. It's our legacy now, I guess you could say."

From where she was sitting, Matt's grandmother chimed in. "Bet you didn't know your old gran used to be a hotshot trainer. Hehehe. Yes indeed. But your parents, you know, they were the best. It's in your blood, child."

Matt slipped the belt on, pleased with the fit. "What about this pokegear? I've never seen one like that!" He took the device out of the box, fumbling with it for a moment trying to put it around his wrist.

His father reached over to help him, holding the straps around his arm so he could fasten it. "This one's one of a kind. It was a gift. Take care of it, ok? Oh, and don't forget to take it easy at first. I know it's exciting but Tai is just a baby."

Fiddling with the settings on his pokegear, Matt found that almost everything was set up for him already. I wonder where this came from, though. "Yeah I know, jeez. How should I start though?" He wasn't really sure how he should train a little pokemon like the Cyndaquil. He knew he couldn't just go off and try battling.

"Well, this city has a pokemon gym. Gyms aren't just for badge challenges you know. They have specialized training facilities and areas for trainers to practice against each other too." His father went back to his work, reading over various papers. He was a pokemon biology and genetics researcher, he worked at a big institute in the city.

"Cool, I didn't know that. I guess that makes sense! Anyway, busy day again tomorrow huh? I better get some sleep so I'm ready to go." It wasn't so much that he was tired, but he couldn't wait for tomorrow, when he would start learning to battle and catch new pokemon.

"Good night dear, have fun tomorrow." His grandmother offered him a warm smile. "Make your father proud."

"I'm sure he will. Goodnight Matt."

Matt waved to them both as he walked up the stairs, head full of unasked questions. He knew there were things his father didn't want to talk about a lot, so he bit back his curiousity. He'd find out some other way. Why did an organization that protected wild pokemon disband? Isn't that what pokemon rangers do? Most important of all, what did it have to do with what happened to his mother? What happened to her? He planned to track the answers down once he was ready to go out on his journey. Challenging gyms and collecting badges sounded fun, but only if he had time. He had trouble getting to sleep tonight, the anticipation was heavy on his mind. Sooner or later, he drifted off into sleep.

In a dark room, musing over a collection of pokeballs on the table before him, there was a masked man. He wore a black suit and tie, his hair was pushed back in a style favored by high society, and his face was mostly concealed by his mask. The mask was white with black eyes, covering the top half of his face and coming down to cover the lower left side, leaving only half of the man's mouth and chin exposed. Burn scars could be seen down the man's neck on the side the mask covered completely. He picked up one of the pokeballs on the table, rolling it around in his palm thoughtfully. "Where did you say they came from?" He asked of a figure, standing in the dark off to his left.

"Sir. They were brought to us by our agent within the IRF. Supposedly test subjects for a new program, their disappearance is being reported as accidental escape. Four in total, these pokemon were found to have a contagion which alters the dna of a pokemon, allowing it to grow strong more quickly than normal specimens of their species. The contagion is recently discovered, and believed to be present in rare cases among wild pokemon. According to the report, side effects are not yet understood and various conflicting cases of altered behaviour among subjects do exist. There is no known way to reverse its effect and further study is being done on cases where exposure has already been confirmed. The IRF are advising against intentional infection of any further subjects at this time." The figure held a salute as he spoke as if reading lines from a script, dropping it to stand attention when he finished. In the dim light, a red R would have been visible to any observers, but of course there were none.

"Thank you, agent Tau. If our agent in the International Research Foundation sent these to us, it means he believes we can make better use of them than those fools. If the IRF was gaining any ground on this, he would have let them do the rest for us. They must be dragging their feet." The masked man placed the pokeball back on the table, waving a dismissal to his underling. How easy it would be to raise an army of pokemon with this disease. His mind was full of the possibilities, but he had learned once before that one must not tamper with what they can't control. This time, he would just have to ensure he was in control.

Back