• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] When someone wants to create a kickstarter for an upcoming game, what should they do?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    When someone wants to create a Kickstarter for an upcoming game, what should they do? I'm asking because I might be that someone, I have a prototype game engine, a crappy test level, some new cool stuff, a thing, and a very long document of planned levels and playable characters.

Also, what is that thing this forum keeps doing, where random words will turn blue?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Woah, calm down. It's only been 2 hours.
    While I can't help you with the Kickstarter question (Just make sure it doesn't have any trademarked things in it, ie. Pokemon), I can answer the blue links. Those are Infolinks, new inline ads PC added. They don't have customization so they will appear anywhere on a thread's page.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Ideally you should look at other successful Kickstarters, especially those that are similar to your idea and try to find what makes them special.

Bear in the mind that the glory days of indie Kickstarters are long over - projects that aim for a realistic sum of money aren't likely to get funded unless you can show something extremely special (and with a reasonable amount of content already shown) or have a name attached that will make people want to give you their money in return for nothing more than a promise. A random nobody with no previous game development experience is unlikely to even be noticed.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't know much about Kickstarter other than it's purpose and what it does but with what you described that you have a prototype game engine and the other stuff it would be better for you to make up a team to develop what you want. Until you have a reasonable amount of progress don't publish it you can take those basic things from how people create fan games in PC. If you have an idea but not sure about developing it is an idea then you have some progress and are like determine to make it which goes to developing and then demo which shows results.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • You can't do a kickstarter if you're making a Pokemon fangame. Even though Nintendo tolerates them, fan games are technically illegal. They won't if you try to monetize it though, unfortunately.
    If your fangame is only inspired by Pokemon and all of the characters/monsters/etc. in it are original, then there should be no problem.

The random blue words are an ad thing I think.

Back