• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you play the TCG?

Years
  • I know quite a lot of TCG players that only stick to TCGO while others prefer playing physically or, possibly, a combination of both. How do you guys play the TCG? [:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I play the game in real life with real cards! I collect them so it'd be a waste not to haha. I play with my boyfriend quite a lot but he's not really interested in building new decks so my newer decks always seem to win too easily, but I'm thinking of joining a group in town that meet every Thursday to play so I'll have a better look at that soon. As for the TCGO I've tried it a couple times and found the whole deck building client confusing - how do you actually unlock new cards for it?

Years
  • I've mostly been playing with the physical card game when I have been playing, though I've not been actively playing of late. I've been meaning to dive into the TCGO since it better fits my schedule (nearest leagues are all too far away for me to reliably make them during the times they are), but the refresher broke after an update in January and I haven't felt too inclined to go through all the steps that fixing that requires.

As for the TCGO I've tried it a couple times and found the whole deck building client confusing - how do you actually unlock new cards for it?

Well, there are 4 ways:

1. Using codes from booster packs, tins, theme decks, and other products. Every 10 card booster pack for every set since the release of Emerging Powers has a booster pack code.

2. Getting some packs with the coins you earn while playing matches and that you also earn as your daily login bonus.

3. Getting a pack as a daily bonus login every 5 or so days.

4. Getting some as a tournament prize for tournaments the TCGO does. At least I think they still give packs out as tournament prizes.

Note: Most of the cards pulled from digitally earned packs are not tradeable. Only cards pulled from packs that came via a code can be traded.

It's basically designed to encourage people to buy the booster packs of the physical game.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I almost never play anymore, but I've always preferred playing with physical cards.

When I do play, it's always unlimited format (since most of my favorites are from the older sets). PTCGO doesn't include the earlier sets, so that's the main reason I don't use it.

Pokémon TCG GB was good, though. I still find myself playing it occasionally. I just wish they made one that included the Neo-series cards.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • We probably won't see anything like that for a while unless it's a fan game.

Although TCG One might have them at this point.

I've read about TCG One, but I don't really like playing on the computer. I'd much rather play in-person or on a hand-held (preferably one of the Nintendo ones). But yeah, I don't see it happening unless they simply want to make money by appealing to the older fans (that didn't work very well with the Pokémon clothing line, though).

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I'm not really TCG player, when I play, I only play online. Maybe it's because I'm too young compared to people who play the card game. And plus, I find the TCGO actually fun. Like you don't have to buy packs with real money, you play to get credits, which is actually kinda fun to be honest.

Back