• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The End. :(

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    crying_cubone_by_inveeous-d7a6fhz.png

Pokémon is on its 20th Year Anniversary on February 2016. But that also reminds me of one thing, specially the decline of Gen VI (particularly) in the gaming as well as surprisingly in the anime department lately.

What if Game Freak/Nintendo aren't going to release Pokémon games anymore somewhere in the future?
    How is it going to affect you? Are you still going to be completely loyal to the series like you were before? Would you like a complete reboot* of the Pokémon games if the PokéDoomsday were to happen?

*As in ignoring all the old Pokémon, characters, regions and even other elements.

Image credit: http://inveeous.deviantart.com/art/Crying-Cubone-440359415

Years
  • As someone who had been in love with Pokemon since childhood, it would be so saddening for the series to come to a sudden end, even more for the games than with the anime. If the decline is going to affect future releases, a complete reboot could be the route to go.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    If PokéDoomsday were to happen I'm not sure what I would do with myself. Pokémon is one of the few video games that I actually play, so I would be crushed if they decided to not make any more. Of course I could always play the old games, but it just wouldn't be the same knowing that the creators are done with the series.

A complete, in the event that this did happen, might not exactly be awful (especially from an anime perspective--no more Ash!) but I would be disappointed to see all the Pokémon that I've come to know over the years just be ignored/forgotten.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm not sure if a pokemon doomsday could happen, actually. Sure, Gamefreak and Nintendo will eventually stop making games, but if it's one thing this fandom has shown me, it's that we're very dedicated and innovative. Once the main series comes to an end, I think various hacks would become the next step in pokemon games. People would start making their own storylines and hacks would get way more popular. The competitive scene wouldn't change all that much, maybe become even more refined as Smogon would then basically be in control of that stuff (love them or hate them). People would start making their own pokemon, and that's how the series would continue. It wouldn't see much mainstream success, and would have to spread through word of mouth, but as far as I'm concerned, it'll have to take a lot more than Nintendo and Gamefreak pulling the plug before pokemon really dies.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't think Pokemon would come to an end. They have stated "Pokemon Bank will stay around for a while so you can give your pokemon to your grand children." This to me states that the have no intention of stopping the pokemon series. Besides Pokemon is still a massive amount of cash that Nintendo gets. There doesn't need to be a game every year. Honestly, I find the concept of a game every year a bit stupid myself.

Pokemon is still far to successful to fall at the moment. They aren't concerned about anything, but cell phone games. Which they are quick adapting to.

Those people who are saying that the anime is dying are throwing things about out of proportion. Sure it isn't in the Top 10, but a lot of things aren't in the top 10 of ratings, but still continue.

The games are just becoming bigger and takes longer to make. They started working on the 6th Gen back in 2010 or 2011.

And honestly, as for the pokemon anime, I think the people that hate it are Gen One people. Kalos has been by far the best and enjoyable season of pokemon I have ever seen. Even the fillers I love watching. I also find my self, in the 'can't wait for the next episode' mood that I have never had with pokemon.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • The series makes far too much money and has far too many diehard fans to even consider ending, and given they JUST updated the series to 3D... I find it kind of ridiculous to imagine it's on its way out. If anything, it's only just truly getting started.

Personally I think the games are getting a lot better as of late, their best so far being the most recent OR/AS, and they're making massive strides to completely rework the series and make it stand out more, to make it feel a lot more fresh so it doesn't get stale. The games definitely aren't declining, they aren't even really slowing down to be perfectly honest.

I'd be genuinely shocked if Pokemon doesn't survive at -least- two more full generations, and probably longer. It is very much still a huge deal.

Fureon

Psychic
    Years
  • To be honest... I don't even want to imagine the end of the franchise happening. I think a part of me would die inside.
    But at the same time, I realize nothing lasts forever and it might happen... though I have absolutely no idea when.
    For some reason I imagine that at some point, they'll stop making new monsters... but they won't stop making new games. They'll just start figuring out more and more ways to interact with the vast amount of Pokemon that accumulated over the years.
    And then? God only knows...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end...

Sorry, I had to. {XD}

I think, the most interesting part about Pokemon, as a franchise ending, would be, where all the over 700 different creatures go. I mean, the series is already too big, to just vanish and the rights to their designs have to go somewhere and depending on where they end up, the series might, or might not get a revival.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although fans are bound to keep the franchise alive for a good amount of years after its initial plug-pulling, it feels to me that Nintendo and GameFreak are likely going to put some heavy consideration into rebooting, as stated by others, or at least hand over the rights to some other company and permit them to put their hands on attempting to restart Pokémon themselves. Things could always go wrong, but depending on how they're done, which I'm sure many of us would hope to be well, Pokémon might come out as strong as it once was, or even more.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While the series officially wrapping up is still far from happening. If it were to end someday, I would be definitely sad and heartbroken, I loved Pokémon since I was 6-7 years old and I'm in my early 20s now.

I don't want a series reboot either, they can create a new series with similar concept just not under the name of Pokémon.

Years
  • How about a slow down between game releases so I can actually catch em all, raise some of em all, transfer/trade/train to experience the meta...

Each gen just FLIES by...

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I'd be pretty devastated if they stopped making Pokémon games. They have been a huge part of my life for such a long time, and I believe that generations of children to come should experience Pokémon, especially as our technology advances and allows us to do even more in the games. I have nothing but fond memories with this series and to think about them stopping it is heart-wrenching. Maybe that's a bit of a dramatic response, but when something has been a part of your life for this many years, you really don't wanna see it go. Especially if you still feel passionate about it.

For the record, I do not mind a slow down. That appears to be what they're doing right now and I think that's completely fine. Putting extra effort into the games is something they really need to focus on, and I think we can all agree we would rather have quality over quantity. I do not believe that they're going to stop any time soon anyways. I have a feeling we're gonna see a new game announcement fairly soon, what with this news about new Pokémon appearing in the movie and such.

A slow down would be nice. It would allow players to really appreciate the games. But they should at least let us know that they are planning to do so, if they do go that route.

Years
  • I'm sure the franchise can still continue once Game Freak stops making new pokemon. Once they have reached a certain limit, they can continue to make games with those pokemon. Other franchises like Mario works fine without having to add 100 new characters all the time.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • It would be bad, but I wouldn't affect me a lot. I don't have a 3DS so I already missed out a lot of releases. Black 2 was the most recent game I've played together with Conquest. I still enjoy replaying games like Platinum/PMD Explorers of Sky or just playing some ROM hacks. No new releases from Nintendo wouldn't bother me so much.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I wanted be so distressed, honestly. In fact, I'd be rather glad! Granted the series ends on a high note, then we can go back and enjoy all the games that got people so invested in the first place. To be honest, I'm not one of those "emotionally invested" individuals, as it is just a game franchise. I prefer real-life friends and family myself :P But if Pokemon ends, that doesn't mean all Pokemon games ever are null and void, so I wouldn't dwell on it too badly.

...implying Pokemon will ever end. Every game is guaranteed a nice stack of cash in-exchange, isn't it? Nintendo appreciates their fans... and their cash cows. Haha.

Back