• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst/best game in a series?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Digimon
    PlayStation series
    Best: Digimon World 3
    Worst: Digimon World 2
    Digimon world 3 was fun filled adventure, a card battle minigame and lots of regions to explore and other boost is able to equip sort of weapons/armors and accessories and there's training where you can raise their stats. The boss battles are most intrigue

I really dislike digimon world 2 due they remove venture mechanic and just use some crappy buggy mobile to venture some random dungeons (Yes, dungeons are randomly ugly); speaking of dungeons, there's also traps and anything to slow you down. and you need EP as a fuel source to move around and if it's empty. BAM! Start over. Every dungeon looks the same and at some point, you can't level up anymore and you need 2 digimons to fuse in order to do that.

DS Titles
    Best: Digimon World/Dawn/Dusk
    Worst: Digimon World Championship
    I simply love digifarm feature where let you raise your digimon as pets and train them, most of the time they interact with objects while your away or found bits (money). Digimon have personalities too from being Sassy to Coward and have friendship system which use for evolution. Have interesting missions and the rank system make it much faster to obtain digimon data so you can raise your favorites. The Aptitude is what you should worry about (level cap)

As much as I like raising digimons, this monstrosity. I mean you can't venture like the past titles and all you do is just train/raise and battle to get some more monies for your digi needs and. Your AWESOMELY trained mega just pass out and revert to egg that be hell to do it all over again. Also the space is just terrible, the attack system is also terrible.

Harvest Moon
    Best: Original GBA titles
    Worse: Rune Factory

I loves the ported and original version as just take care the farm animals and grow crops. It seems peacefully.

I strongly dislike rune factory due to Harvest moon mix with RPG element. It just terrible. Why! Just Why!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Sonic the Hedgehog was the first video game series I ever played. I have extremely fond memories of playing the second game over and over and reading about all the cut levels and toying around with debug mode and making the game almost break. It was freaking awesome. Sadly though, Sonic just isn't how I remember it anymore...
    Your post captured my exact thoughts about the Sonic series. I have such fond memories of playing Sonic 2 and 3 with my twin brother. We would often bicker about who gets to play as Sonic or Tails. I prefer Sonic 3 because Tails could carry Sonic. I'd have to be of some use or else Sonic would leave me in the dust!
    Either way, we could play at the same time on the same screen. That's what made Sonic stand out compared to other 2-player games like Mario where I had to wait for the other person to finish the stage or fail at it.

Sonic 2006 is insufferable. I rented it for PS3 when it came out in November 2006 rather than getting it as a Christmas present. I found everything horrible: the missions, the physics, the slowness, the dragging on, the loading times, the LOADING TIMEs, the princess and oh jeez her orange legs, and the plot. Why is a human kissing a hedgehog. I could not beat the final boss by myself, as there was just something wrong with the controls during that fight. As soon as my brother finished the story, we returned it and never talked about it again. We did pick up Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, and those were quite enjoyable.
    Sonic
    Best: Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)
    Worst: Sonic 2006

Pokemon
    As for the worst in my opinion, that honor goes to Diamond and Pearll
    NOOOOOooooOOOOOoooooOOOo -uses defog on you-

The best Pokemon game for me would be HeartGold and SoulSilver. Remakes retained most of the charm from GSC, and augmented that charm. The town re-designs and scenery including night and day are breathtaking. I love having the Pokemon follow you. I always liked Gen II best for visiting the two entire regions and collecting 16 badges yet HGSS included the gym leader rematches. I missed the sprites from GSC the most because they're so pretty.

The worst Pokemon game for me would be... Kinda hard to decide. I have my nitpicks about BW, BW2, and XY. I felt no connection to the villains, and that can extend to DPPt as well. I feel gens 1, 2, and 3 had villain teams with practical goals. Steal and make a profit, or expand the land/sea. Meanwhile, gens 4, 5, and 6 tried to take on things larger-than-life. Cyrus and Lysandre wanted to destroy the current world to create a new one (is this really rated E for Everyone haha). Ghetsis wanted to steal Pokemon and dominate the world similar to Team Rocket, but somehow mind warped N enough. Um.
    What was most lacking for me in the core Pokemon games was X/Y. There are like, 70 new Pokemon. Mega evolutions don't count to me. Only a few appealed to me during the story. I basically ended up with two grasses (Chesnaught and Florges), two flying types (Talonflame and Noivern), and two waters (Dragalge and Clawitzer). It didn't matter though as I swept the Elite 4.

I probably don't like XY very much because I've only played it once... I'd love to try out other Pokemon like Gogoat, Heliolisk, Phantump/Pumpkaboo, um... A ton of Kalos Pokemon simply don't appeal to me, such as Avalugg, Barbaracle, Dedenne, Diggersby, Meowstic, Furfrou, Klefki, and Pyroar. They're just.. bleh.

Pokemon
    Best: HGSS
    Worst: XY

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm a fan of Need for Speed, and from that, I'd say the best title they had ever released would be Most Wanted (older one, not new), with worst being Undercover.

I feel former had a very engaging story-line, making it easy to be pulled into the game without much hassle at all. Cut-scenes were amazing to view, and cars they had featured were also well-rounded. Latter, however--although it did introduce nice new features and mechanics, what I did dislike would be its plot, whose beginning seemed to have been slightly rushed, leaving me sort of confused. This, sadly, had led me to disliking the title. If it weren't for that, things would have been different.

I'm also a big follower of Legend of Zelda series, and while I can't quite put my finger on any game that I'd found myself disfavoring, there is one title I had definitely found myself enjoying a lot--Skyward Sword. Combined with is story-line and graphical style, this one was very much amazing.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Command and Conquer series

I'm a big fan of the RTS genre and the C&C Series happens to be one of my most favorite RTS franchises from my childhood.

Best: Command and Conquer: Red Alert
    Worst: Command and Conquer 4: Twilight Dawn

Command and Conquer Red Alert (The first one) had it all. An interesting story of an alternate reality World War, and it was the Red Alert game, along with the older C&C titles that felt dark and gritty. RA1 had some really interesting and challenging missions that tested my skills in micromanagement and macro-management. Also, unlike the rest of the RA series (2 and 3), it didn't rely on silly gimmicky units for RA1 to be fun. RA1 was fun for both multiplayer and single player, something that the second game of the series heavily suffered from (Spy Satellite in multiplayer = permanent maphax, really now?) , and something that RA3 tried to be with its gimmicky units and bigger emphasis in naval and amphibious units. RA3 was fun in some ways, RA2 was really fun for single player, but RA1 was fun for both the single player and multiplayer experience.

Now for Twilight Dawn... oh boy. Now depending on anyone's views regarding it, some would say that C&C4 was a pitiful excuse of a C&C game to end the franchise, while some would say (Like IGN and its too much water joke) that C&C4 was a calculated risk. I'm not much of a purist with the C&C franchise, as I actually liked the Generals series (The first of the C&C games to deviate from the traditional formula - NOT COUNTING RENEGADE) but C&C4 had way too many flaws to prevent it from being as enjoyable as its predecessors and other brother titles which is why i say this is the "worst" of the C&C titles, but its not a terrible game as what the C&C purists would say. Though i would definitely say that Twilight Dawn is an example of how executive meddling can go horribly wrong in a franchise that was loved for generations, rather than improve or make defining changes to help revitalize C&C, re-writing the gameplay that barely resembles the C&C series definitely hurt its reputation. I've played the game myself and it took me a while to actually like the game.

Call of Duty

In a multiplayer perspective ONLY. I won't be burning or flaming out the single player content of the games.

Best: CoD4
    Worst: CoD Modern Warfare 2

CoD4 was my first folly into the CoD Multiplayer-verse and I was happy to experience something that I would consider a really fun multiplayer experience. Granted that CoD4 still had some of its exploitable flaws, but at least the gameplay was smooth and fluid, and there were less gimmicky things that sadly went over to the rest of the CoD series after 4.. and oh boy I'm about to unload one on its Sequel..

CoD Modern Warfare 2 was absolutely the most broken of the CoD Multiplayer series. This was the start of some gimmicky things that now plague the series that I once played very often, First of all, Commando is broken and overpowered. Seriously, being able to land that OHKO knife attack at ranges beyond logical reasoning (3 meter instant KO?) was just absurd. Also, some of the perks that should have been removed in CoD4 because of its monotonous use and overall dominance in usage such as Stopping Power (because seriously, EVERYONE pretty much used it. There's no point in using other perks and it didn't promote any dynamic gameplay changes to a character when equipped). Not to mention, the kill streak rewards that allowed players to score MORE KILLS by sitting down in one area such as the Chopper Gunner support was too much. I remember getting a 30 Kill Streak reward in CoD4 with help from my Red Tiger AK47 (with iron sights only) helped me feel like a total badass, since it actually took effort and skill to maintain such streak against Noobtubes and crazy campers, but CODMW2 heavily rewarded camping and getting those kills to call down a support perk to score even MOAR kills, making 30 kill streaks fell mundane and easily acquirable by players who choose to abuse broken and overpowered gimmicks rather than pure skill and mechanics.

Last edited:

Yukari

Worst: CoD Modern Warfare 1

CoD4 was my first folly into the CoD Multiplayer-verse and I was happy to experience something that I would consider a really fun multiplayer experience. Granted that CoD4 still had some of its exploitable flaws, but at least the gameplay was smooth and fluid, and there were less gimmicky things that sadly went over to the rest of the CoD series after 4.. and oh boy I'm about to unload one on its Sequel..

CoD Modern Warfare 1 was absolutely the most broken of the CoD Multiplayer series. This was the start of some gimmicky things that now plague the series that I once played very often, First of all, Commando is broken and overpowered. Seriously, being able to land that OHKO knife attack at ranges beyond logic was just absurd. Also, some of the perks that should have been removed in CoD4 because of its monotonous use and overall dominance in usage such as Stopping Power (because seriously, EVERYONE pretty much used it. There's no point in using other perks and it didn't promote any dynamic gameplay changes to a character when equipped). Not to mention, the kill streak rewards that allowed players to score MORE KILLS by sitting down in one area such as the Chopper Gunner support was too much. I remember getting a 30 Kill Streak reward in CoD4 with help from my Red Tiger AK47 (with iron sights only) helped me feel like a total badass, since it actually took effort and skill to maintain such streak against Noobtubes and crazy campers, but CODMW1 heavily rewarded camping and getting those kills to call down a support perk to score even MOAR kills, making 30 kill streaks fell mundane and easily acquirable by players who choose to abuse broken and overpowered gimmicks rather than pure skill and mechanics.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    FINAL FANTASY - Best: XIII. Come at me. I like most of the FF games I've played but I have a real soft spot for XIII and its cast of characters. The sequel was weaker but Lightning Returns was incredible fun and one of the best FF battle systems I've seen yet.

Worst: I've played VII, X, XIII, XIII-2, and LR, and I had real good fun with all of them but I'd probably say the weakest was XIII-2 in my opinion. needs more lightning tbh

DEVIL MAY CRY - Best: DMC4 narrowly beats DMC3 for me. Combat system and gameplay is goddamn unmatched and it's pure concentrated fun.

Worst: DMC2. Total shit show. Unbalanced weapons, bland emotionless Dante, terrible enemies/bosses/levels/everything.

POKEMON - Best: Platinum. Fourth gen is my shit. For some reason I was suuuuper into it more than any of the previous games and I sunk an unholy amount of hours into it and Diamond before it. I was completely in love with this game and I cannot wait for the 4th gen remakes (it will happen)

itt: final fantasy xiii is misunderstood...

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I would say that Bioshock Infinite was no where near as good as 1 and 2, I know that it doesn't follow the same storyline and that for me is probably why I don't like it. It tried too hard to be "unique" and it ended up feeling like I was playing a bad rip of the first two games.

Bioshock 2 was the best in the series because you're a big daddy, that is all there is to it lol. Although the first one had an amazingly sad ending.

You think that Bioshock 2 was the better than the original? How could the sequel ever match up with Andrew Ryan and that plot twist from the first game?

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • You think that Bioshock 2 was the better than the original? How could the sequel ever match up with Andrew Ryan and that plot twist from the first game?

I did enjoy how the game included the phrase "Would you kindly" to make it seem like someone was asking you for help but instead they were ordering you with a triggered phrase and I am unsure as to what plot twist you're referring to. The ending of the Little Sisters helping you or not depending on whether you saved them (I chose to save them all) did make me cry but I still stand that I enjoyed Bioshock 2 more.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I did enjoy how the game included the phrase "Would you kindly" to make it seem like someone was asking you for help but instead they were ordering you with a triggered phrase and I am unsure as to what plot twist you're referring to. The ending of the Little Sisters helping you or not depending on whether you saved them (I chose to save them all) did make me cry but I still stand that I enjoyed Bioshock 2 more.

The plot twist was the "would you kindly?" reveal on top of finding out Fontaine was using you the entire time.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • The plot twist was the "would you kindly?" reveal on top of finding out Fontaine was using you the entire time.

I didn't even realise that was supposed to be a plot twist, I kind of figured it out myself from just playing the game for the first time, usually in those types of games no one is you friend lol, I think it was a really good way of making the game seem less linear and make it seem like most of what you were doing was of your own choosing.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • There always seems to be 'the bad one in any good video game series huh? Please allow me to give my two cents (and yes, I favour console exclusives);

Spyro The Dragon (Excluding 'Legends' reboot & Skylanders)
    Best: Spyro: Year Of The Dragon, PS1 (Gateway to Glimmer is a close, cloooose second)
    Worst: Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly PS2

With the except of A Hero's Tail and Skylanders, I haven't liked a single Spyro console game since the PS1. The original trilogy was so enjoyable that I would've been happy if they left it at that. Of course, that wasn't the case and lo and behold, we get Enter The Dragonfly, which is possibly one of the worst games I've ever played. Horrendous load times coupled with shoddy gameplay make this a pain to play.

God Of War
    Best: God of War 3
    Worst: God of War: Ascension

Boy are these polarising games. What with the release of GOW3, I'd thought that'd be the end for the series considering the main games were ever so slowly heading towards the conclusion of a tale in the making since the PS2 era of the games. When they dropped it, it was an awesome game to play, featuring some of the best graphics running on the PS3 hardware in my opinion to date, granted you can forgive the devs for the way they interpreted the Greek mythos.

But then Santa Monica comes along and makes a pre-PREquel in the form of Ascension. Haaah? Hadn't Chains Of Olympus covered this already? Apparently not, because now they came up with a frankly ridiculous story, whilst again tweaking the gameplay mechanics I had so loved in GOW3. Signs on, it's the only GOW I have yet to finish, and probably won't for a while either. Such a waste of money.

InFamous
    Best: InFamous 2
    Worst: InFamous: Second Son

I really liked this series. Truly, I did. Even got myself the collector's editions of 2 and Second Son. Whereas InFamous 2 was a great reinvention of the first game, the 3rd entry Second Son really feel sort in all aspects aside from graphics. Second Son, like several other PS4 games I could care less to mention is all 'flash' and no substance. Yes, the graphics are terribly pretty on Sony's latest console, but the story stumbled soo much!

True, Cole wasn't a perfect protagonist by any stretch of the imagination, but at least he was way less annoying than 'Delson.' It's a shame how predictable Second Son became. And I was extra annoyed by the 'Cole's Legacy' DLC...So so soooo underwhelming - I was almost insulted. The collector's edition for this game too was pretty as well, at least in comparison to way they released previously. It feels like Sucker Punch was simply riding wave of hype, rather than bother to pour their heart and soul into making a game for a console that has really disappointed me thus far.

Devil May Cry
    Best: Devil May Cry 3
    Worst: Devil May Cry 4

Surprised I didn't say DMC2, huh? Well, allow me to explain why. DMC3 was good! DMC3 had character development! (okay, yeah, DMC2 Dante was about as much of a cardboard cut-out as far as dull, out of character protagonists go, but at least he was the main protag!) Then we get DMC4 and new protagonist Nero taking up the mantle of 'newest demon slayer on the block', a dude whom we get little to no information concerning his origins. In addition to that, the fact that he was voiced by one of my least favourite VAs out there (I have the utmost respect for JYB and his vast pool of works, but I really can't stand his voice), and the 4th entry being the first DMC game I ever played, really discouraged me from checking out the rest of the series for a long while.

Whew, I think that I've ranted enough for now. Time for some honorable mentions;
    Jak & Daxter; best- Jak 3, worst- The Lost Frontier
    Ratchet & Clank; best- A Crack In Time // Gladiator{or Deadlocked}, worst- All 4 One
    Sly Cooper; best- Sly 3, worst- Thieves In Time
    Rayman; best- Hoodlum Havoc, worst- Hoodlum's Revenge
    Crash Bandicoot; best-Warped // Crash Bash, worst- ...Any p2 game after Twinsanity
    Bioshock; best- 1, worst- Infinite
    Assassin's Creed; best- Black Flag, worst- AC1 // Revelations.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Devil May Cry
    Best: Devil May Cry 3
    Worst: Devil May Cry 4

bnqOSCn.gif

DMC4 has one of the best gameplay and combat systems I've ever seen. Expands so much on DMC3's which is also godlike. There aren't many games that even come close to the level of depth that DMC4's combat has.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Alrighty, I suppose I'll give you my impressions based of my favourite game series that I've played!

Tales
    Best: Tales of Vesperia
    Worst: Tales of Abyss (Normally I'd say Tales of Symphonia 2, but it's a spin-off)

Anyways, I loooved Tales of Vesperia because while it wasn't as long as Tales of Symphonia, it just seemed more 'modern' and more engaging than the rest of the Tales games, from the technologies they have, to the sort of attitudes during the game, like, they bring a cast of characters that seemed to relate to us because it shows us that we can't do things alone, and we have to make our own choices to move on with life; a pretty good moral, if you ask me! The gameplay is really fun because of the Overlimit Gage and the basic combo system, which made things easy to get used to!

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Tales of Abyss is fun, but gods, the framework is cringe-worthy, and the characters I'd like to personally submerge them in deep water sometimes, like Luke from that depressed attitude of his, and everyone else for always harping on Luke, as it was always like, 'we get it, you've done something wrong!' move on! The battle system was okay, but pretty boring after a while unless you get some good combos going, which actually does look cool, but otherwise, yeah.

Ace Attorney
    Best: Trials and Tribulations
    Worst: Apollo Justice

Trials and Tribulations was the perfect trilogy ending to the Phoenix Wright games, and holy moly, they've done a great job contrasting the characters with awesome music and cases to boot! Like I almost cried when the 5th case was near it's end, what with Godot explaining his tragic story, and him sharing his philosophies on how he failed to protect Mia.. emotional moments during this game have been extremely well done and I hope future Ace Attorney games follow this example!

Now, I liked Apollo Justice but, they should be ashamed on how they've portrayed Apollo in this because he barley had the spotlight on him, but it was like he was this pawn for Phoenix Wright to explain how he lost his badge and how to get back at the person responsible. The characters were pretty okay (like Trucy is adorable) but the cases were pretty bland compared to the rest of the games; just wasn't as memorable if you ask me.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • DMC4 has one of the best gameplay and combat systems I've ever seen. Expands so much on DMC3's which is also godlike. There aren't many games that even come close to the level of depth that DMC4's combat has.

Whilst that is true (especially the addition of Nero's Devil Bringer mechanic and his DT enhancements), in my view game mechanics can't carry a game alone. And whilst the visuals for DMC4 are probably the best in the old series, the story really did kill it for me.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Animal crossing

Best: New Leaf
    It really got all right, even if I still want more. It is the ebst since GameCube (which is like pokemon r/b for me: they will never got beaten by a newest one, mostly because Nostalgia is a big part in it).
    Worst: Wild World
    Errg... I didn't liked it... the graphics, no NES games, no police station, the villagers won't ask you for a service that mean you are gonna run all over the town to find a specific villager, then another one ... ( a pain in the a** but soooo nostalgic), I kinda liked the acre system...

Harvest Moon

Best: Tie between A Wonderful Life and Friends of Mineral Town.
    AWL is the best in 3D in my opinion. This game is more realistic, quick to play, everybody grew old...
    FoMT is the best in 2D and is an all time fan-favorite. Lot of things to do, the best characters of all time... (Love the TV Shopping)
    Worst: Magical Melody
    I don't know, I just never really got into this game.. I don't really like the graphics, the gameplay, the story, well... everything!

Pokemon

Best: Gold/Silver. Love the second generation, the soundtrackt, the two maps, I will never get bored of this game!
    Worst: Diamond and Pearl. I love the pokemons, but not the map or the story. At ths point I really wanted a change.

Back