• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TeamRank

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
  • Overview

248.png
    635.png
    563.png
    530.png
    579.png
    598.png

This is my attempt at semi-stall in the fifth generation. I realize that this team is pretty weak to a few things, Roobushin being one of them, and I understand this. I'm unsure how I can adjust for this threat without damaging the synergy that this team does possess. So comments are appreciated. This team managed to reached 152 on the Pokemon Online Beta Server (probably not saying much, but I'm not really sure what to compare that to).

In-Depth

248.png

Tyranitar@Lum Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    Lonely Nature (+Atk; -Def)
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Special Attack / 168 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Superpower

Naturally everyone in 5th Gen starts with a Sandstorm team. I decided on Tyranitar over Hippowdon because I wanted to a be threat, while at the same time providing sandstorm and SR. Fire Blast 2HKO's a common lead, Speically Defensive Skarmory, who will generally lead off with a taunt. Superpower deals well with other TTar (which is #1 in usage I believe). Good powerful lead that helps out quite a bit.

635.png

Sazandora@Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    Naughty Nature (+Atk; -SpD)
    EVs: 228 Atk; 48 SpA; 232 Spe
    - Outrage
    - Crunch
    - U-Turn
    - Fire Blast

One of the reasons this is semi-stall. I understood that Sazandora is commonly run with Specs or the like, so I went for the unconventional physical variant in hopes of catching Blissey off guard. This isn't doing well to be quite honest and I'd love to replace him with something a bit more reliable. Also it sucks because he adds to my Roobushin weakness that TTar already dies to.

563.png

Desukan@Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    Bold Nature (+Def; -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
    - Rest
    - Haze
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp

My saving grace to Roobushin. I just gotta hope he doesn't switch into a WoW. Functions mainly as my phazer and spin blocker, but also pairs well with Nattorei at walling physical attacks. Desukan is a star player on this team for sure, but once he's out, my team essentially falls apart.

530.png

Doryuuzu@Balloon
    Trait: Sand Throw
    Jolly Nature (+Spe; -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

With the Sand Throw bonus due to TTar, Dory is an excellent sweeper. Balloon is such a great item to have as well, not only does he 4x resist SR, he's immune to spikes during his balloon ride. Basically I chose him because I knew he was a huge threat in today's metagame, and he was a good candidate for spinning of the rapids (Forry was too similar to Nattorei for my tastes). Sadly, he helps add to that Roobushin weakness as Roob is a common switch in with Mach Punch.

579.png

Rankurusu@Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature (+Def; -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Psycho Shock
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Rankurusu. This team is named after him. Basically he's my MVP until someone decides to run a pokemon specifically to deal with him (>.>). This little blob is deadly as he is adorable. Super bulky, Magic Guard is possibly the best ability ever (allowing for easy Toxic/Burn absorption which is essential on any stall team) and Recover just makes him a nuisance. Definitely a threat if someone isn't running one of his main counters. Ranku also helps with my Roobushin weakness because Payback is all he can do, but Ranku is slower.

598.png

Nattorei@Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Relaxed Nature (+Def; -Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Nattorei is an excellent new pokemon. If only he had Rapid Spin, he'd be a better Forry in my eyes. Bulky on both sides of the spectrum, ability to seed the opponent, and spikes support make for an excellent member of the team. Again, he makes my Roobushin weakness even more obvious. :/ I needs something in for Sazandora to help with this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    What about mixmence over Sazandora to reduce Roobushin weakness?

Salamence @ life orb
    Naive 252spe 156spA 100att
    Intimidate/Overconfidence
    ~ Draco Meteor
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Brick Break / EQ / Roost

intimidate/Overconfidence is preference, I'd say intimidate, Overconfidence is better for dd or scarf sets, thought still good here. Last slot is also pretty changeable plus roost will help restore life orb, ss and stealth rock damage, usually quite easily due to its natural bulk, typing and intimidate.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Based on my Roobushin investigation (resulting in me actually knowing what in the world it is), I don't see any reason not to replace Sazandora with a strong Fighting resist. You seem to rely heavily on Desukan so you could use something that mimics its role to ease its burden a little.

You could also just run a fast sweeper like Alakazam to scare it off (except make it good, I don't know what still works this gen so I'll leave that up to you). The previous poster mentioned Salamence which sounds like a good enough fit, as at the very least you can spam Intimidate to slow down stuff if you can't switch a more valuable team member in without risking obliteration. I don't really think it will hurt the "semi-stall" element since there isn't really one at all, as only two Pokemon have any way to recover HP and four aren't being used even on the pretense of stalling. You might as well use a deadly offensive weapon if my previous idea doesn't appeal to you.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    desukan and rankurusu are two of the best roopushin counters in the game......

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Desukan can't hit back. :/ That's the problem. Rank can hit back, but I always manage to lose him by the time the opponent brings Roob back out.

Plus. 2 counters and 4 weaks doesn't help. xD Anyway. I just added in Mence to this team and used it a couple time on the beta server. Seemed to work well enough.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    I don't quite understand. Desukan has a chance to 3HKO Roopushin even if it is at Max HP and will always 3HKO with SR and 1 layer of Spikes....

"4 weaks and two counters"

If a Gen 4 stall team has Swampert, Skarmory, Heatran, Blissey, Scarf Rotom, Starmie [thats not necessarily a good stall team, just an example] and 4 of the Pokemon are OHKOed by MixApe [Swampert, Skarmory, Blissey and Heatran], the team is not MixApe weak because it has Starmie and even Rotom in a pinch.

scizor007

Vengeance
    Years
  • A crazy suggestion to certain extents,but a SURE-SHOT Robushin killer(with some accurate predictions)-

Gengar-Life orb
    Timid
    252 spA/252 Sp/4 HP

-Shadow ball
    -Focus blast
    -Hidden power(Fire)/Energy ball
    -Destiny Bond

Replace Desu with this.Reason-fairly simple actually.....Switch out Dory/T-tar as robushin comes and tries Bulk up/Mach punch/Drain punch.IMMEDIATELY use destiny bond,for ur opponent will think
    "...gengar...lol..imma gonna OHKO with payback/Stone Edge and it can't hurt me too much...."
    ....and voila.​

Trust me-I've tried this,and it'll work 98 times out of 100(unless u're battling a robushin with only fighting attacks).Besides Desukan can't kill any pokemon knowing Recover/Rest,while Gengar serves as a handy sweeper as well.

As for a Sazandora replacement you could use a Scarfmence@EQ spiral or the classic bulky nite for the "bulk" that Desukan provided.

Edit:Give Nattorei a Shed shell if its DW tier (for Shadow tag Shandera),else its fine.

Last edited:
    Back