• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Have edits reflected in last post time fetch

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • If there's new content, shouldn't it reflect that? For instance, in some project threads the OP is permitted to double and even triple post for new content and updates - something like having edits count towards the threads health could save the forum from needing that, which in turn saves the database's size and webpage space, among other things (keeps it more tidy too). Basically, should an edit of a post warrant a bump?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Most edits happen on posts that aren't the latest one, and that causing a bump would be really weird. It would also mean any poster/editor would bump the thread. It would lead to people who often edit their first post being bumped up (perhaps just minor tweaks) which would happen lots in the creative forums.

Doesn't seem too necessary in my eyes. edit or double post, either way someone all notice eventually. :)

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Most edits happen on posts that aren't the latest one, and that causing a bump would be really weird. It would also mean any poster/editor would bump the thread. It would lead to people who often edit their first post being bumped up (perhaps just minor tweaks) which would happen lots in the creative forums.

Doesn't seem too necessary in my eyes. edit or double post, either way someone all notice eventually. :)
    I'm talking about the last post specifically, though. Edits on other posts don't matter since the code that checks for the last post isn't looking at them, anyway.

I see what you mean with people noticing, but in the ROM hacking forums in particular there are a lot of threads that don't get noticed due to being buried. Since OPs are permitted bumping/revival there... say they've made their three posts at the end of their thread and it gets buried past the revival limit anyway. Then they're kinda stuck, you know what I mean?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Save your bumping posts I guess! If your thread isn't getting any posts than perhaps save up a significant update - more likely to get comments than a small tweak.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Save your bumping posts I guess! If your thread isn't getting any posts than perhaps save up a significant update - more likely to get comments than a small tweak.
    Yeah, that's what I'm a bit torn up by - the whole rationing of the bumps. To me it'd be a whole lot neater to have it in one single post, and edit that with whatever updates there are to be made.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • It's barely been a day or two, but I'll alert an admin to this in case they haven't seen it.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • So, editing of the original post, or editing of the most recent post?

This is a nice architectural change and I'm happy to do it, but there are other more pressing matters. We're going to be changing the way threads display new content soon anyway, so I'll save this for when those changes happen.

Good idea at any rate.
    To me, both make sense. What might be wiser, though, is having an either/or depending on what forum the thread is in. Like in most discussion forums it could be last poster, but in forums with larger threads like the Hacks Studio both could apply, eh?

Back