• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Playing Battle Animations In-Battle

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
I'm very familiar with the whole scripting area, as well as RPGMaker XP, however, since this program (while very awesome) has altered many (if not all, I haven't checked) of the basic scripts, I suppose rather than pour over the code for hours, I'd just ask.

Is there a way to play a battle animation (made via either the standard battle animations in the Database, or the animation editor) while already in a battle?

I know the code to do so for the standard kit and unfortunately, it does not work. Just curious if anyone knows the bit of code, or at least what scripts I can look into to find said information.

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
Yes, essentially.

Just, while within the battle scripts, when certain events happen, the code to play a battle animation, (targetable if possible on the friendly/opposing Pokemon,) or just playing in the center of the screen, if necessary.

What I'm actually doing- trying to create custom weather effects, and setting the battle animation to play just before it gives the message about it. Kind of a workaround for now, as I don't really care for the bitmaps that are in place, and this would allow me to customize exactly how I wanted to do it, in battle animation format.

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Hmmmm... afraid I couldn't be of much help. not too familiar w/ essentials to help. if it was regular rmxp maybe...

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
Exactly. If it was just the basic RMXP, I wouldn't have an issue.

Just seeing if any of the devs know before I start throwing myself headlong into the scripts.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
What I'm actually doing- trying to create custom weather effects, and setting the battle animation to play just before it gives the message about it. Kind of a workaround for now, as I don't really care for the bitmaps that are in place, and this would allow me to customize exactly how I wanted to do it, in battle animation format.
When you say "custom weather effects", do you mean you're creating a new kind of weather (e.g. foggy), or do you just want to replace the existing weather animations with your own versions?

If the former, copy one of the existing weather effects, all of which already do what you want. If the latter, just edit the appropriate Common animations using the Editor's Animation Editor - Common animations have "Common:" in their name.

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
Both, really. The former itself doesn't appear to be too difficult.

Now, for the said Common animations, how would we call them from within the script itself? Currently the base ones that I've got are: Shiny, Shadow, StatUp, StatDown. If I made one to say, for example, 'Common:Sandstorm' how would I then call said animation from within the script itself, to play whenever the message about the sandstorm would go off?

I very much appreciate the assistance, Maruno- having a direction to start going it the best first step.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
A very quick look at the existing scripts brings up the following code:

Code:
pbCommonAnimation("Sandstorm",nil,nil)
I'll let you ponder over what that could possibly mean.

Hint: The last two things (both nil here) are the user and target of the animation, but since the "Common:Sandstorm" animation has a position of "Screen" it doesn't have a user/target.

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
Ah-ha. And that is why I asked.

I'm unfamiliar with these scripts and while I would have found that (eventually) it was easier to merely ask.

Appreciate the assistance, Maruno.

Back