• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hunger In America

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • It very interesting issue to find it on National Geographic magazines, and here is the editor's note obout the topic.

I'll never forget the words of the Cleveland school administrator or how awful I felt when he uttered them. It was 2007, and, as the new editor of the Plain Dealer, the city's daily newspaper, I was meeting with a group involved in improving public education. The topic turned to Cleveland's "lake effect," which dumps about 68 inches of snow on the city each year.

"The kids must love all the snow days," I joked.

The room went silent. People exchanged glances.

"We try never to close the schools," one man finally said. "When we do, a lot of kids won't eat."

I'm embarrassed to admit this had never occurred to me before.

Hunger in America today doesn't look like the Dorothea Lange photos of hollow-eyed unemployed people during the Depression, but it is hunger even so. These days the hungry are often "white, married, clothed, and housed, even a bit overweight," writes Tracie McMillan in this month's story "The New Face of Hunger."

One in six Americans says food runs out at least once a year, compared with one in 20 in many European countries. Emergency food programs have ballooned from a few hundred in 1980 to 50,000 today. At the same time schools quietly have become de facto food banks for astonishing numbers of children.

Last year about 19 million students received a free school lunch; another 2.5 million got a reduction in the price. On Fridays districts from Oklahoma City to Rochester, New York, help hand out food to tide kids over until Monday. In summer, cities like Washington, D.C., have created programs to fill the meal gap.

But no one has a good solution for unexpected snow days. Last year, depending on location, Cleveland schools closed for eight or nine days. That's a lot of kids who didn't get fed.

"There is a hidden crisis," says Eric Gordon, chief executive officer for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District, where 45,000 free meals are served daily to students from kindergarten through 12th grade. "If you take us out of the picture, there are a lot of kids who won't eat."

Our society, Gordon says, has chosen to ignore this reality. He can't.

Neither should we.

Thank you for reading,

Source taken from : https://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/editors-note

So what do you think about this?

For more info, check this.

The New Face of Huger - National Geographic

Years
  • It's shameful that the "richest country on Earth" has so many hungry people, particularly children. All I can really say is that there are many factors, many agents with their own selfish interests, who perpetuate the system we have in America that makes people hateful toward one another and fearful for themselves so that no one wants to help out their fellow citizen.

Bay

Years
  • I checked out the second link, and yeah the US having an obesity problem is mainly most folks struggle to get healthy food. Because of that, you wouldn't think that person is hunger upon first appearance. Sometimes even unhealthy food like ones from fast food restaurants, which tends to be more accessible, can be tough to get at times. I've seen a few posts on Tumblr mentioning something similar.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I live in America, and honestly this makes me pretty mad. There's a serious problem in the supposed "richest country on Earth" when there are children on our streets hungry and yet, we have enough money in our federal budget to spend on warfare instead. Like, where did our priorities go? -_-

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I live in America, and honestly this makes me pretty mad. There's a serious problem in the supposed "richest country on Earth" when there are children on our streets hungry and yet, we have enough money in our federal budget to spend on warfare instead. Like, where did our priorities go? -_-

Towards continuing imperialism, darling! Like always!

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    If you live in a small town place then yes I agree. Otherwise a big city then no way not possible.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    There are people living in housing situations that are toxic and without heating, or plumbing. I am not talking about country as in the suburbs or highways or even farms. I am talking about states where people are living in broken down houses and the highest income is the military/police/government. Places like that, where it is no mans land and there is only one shade of skin and hair color.

Back