• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Champions Unite

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Hey there!

I'm a first-time poster here and I've been working on a piece of fiction for some time now. Pokémon was a huge part of my childhood and, being a writer, I wanted to write something set in its world. The problem I kept running into was that, as an adult, I kept realizing the world has so much that makes no sense. Here's a snippet of the issues I kept running into when trying to write a story:

1. Why do Pokémon obey you when you catch them? Why don't they just turn around and continue attacking you when you first send them out of their Balls?
    2. How are pre-teen children able to infiltrate and destroy region-wide criminal organizations? What's keeping the grown-up criminals from simply attacking the kids themselves?
    3. How do Pokémon survive incredibly powerful attacks used on them during battles? Even considering the magical healing powers of Pokémon Centers, taking fire attacks that can melt boulders (for example) should be quite traumatizing to any living creature.

And then there are things that aren't as glaring, such as

1. Why are there multiple regions set up exactly the same way (8 gyms, Elite Four, Champion)? Why, in each region, is there a group calling themselves Team _______ trying to do something villainous?
    2. People get their Pokémon trainer's licenses when they turn 10, yet you find kindergartners who battle you along your journey.
    3. How did the civilization within the Pokémon world come to be? Why is it so different from the real world?

Yes, the answer to most of these questions is "it's a kids' game," but that sort of makes it difficult to write anything that makes sense. So, one goal of the following tale is to try to address some of these things in-universe. I posted this on my own site, but I won't link to it because, apparently, that's against the rules.

The story takes the form of first-person primary documents. There's a prologue, 3 chapters, and an epilogue. Enjoy, and feel free to give this first-timer any feedback you have. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion's Log: entry 1

I have decided to record my thoughts on this long journey. Maybe only death awaits us at the end of it, and I think I'd feel better knowing at least some record exists for potential passers-by to find. Then again, it's still questionable whether any passers-by exist at all in the void of deep space.

Anyway, my name is Shana. I hail from Earth, the third planet from the sun. I've come a long way since to get here…I barely know where to begin. I guess…let's start a few years back, when Earth faced its first major resource crisis.

Human overpopulation had been a looming issue for many decades before that, but few people really did much about it. Then scientists finally concluded that the world's resources – including water – would run out in a matter of years due to overpopulation. What followed disgusts me even now as I recall it.

Several leading environmental engineers proposed banding together and making a strong push toward renewable energy and generation of sustainability. They formed a consortium of both basic scientists and applied engineers and outlined a bold plan for basically staving off an apocalypse. The government refused to fund them. Instead, they decided to fund the military with the aim of giving them enough firepower to annihilate several segments of the world's population. The idea there was to curb the population enough such that there wouldn't be a shortage of resources anymore.

If you're thinking that these academics were the "good guys," think again. With what little funding they had, they did forge ahead with research. But their alliance quickly fractured as they began competing amongst themselves, each claiming that his or her own solution was the best one. Their publications, rather than focusing on real, viable solutions, focused on self-advertisements. They cared more about their standing in academia than they did about actually solving the crisis. So progress was slow.

Realizing that the public sector and the ivory tower weren't getting very far, a private sector company decided to develop new technologies to provide renewable resources to the world. And they succeeded, what with a private source of funding and little competition. They then proceeded to charge exorbitant amounts of money for their new technology because, after all, businesses exist to make a profit. The solution wasn't much of a solution if only about 1% of the population could afford to use it.

It was around this time that a group of friends and I found ourselves in a position to do something. Louise, the head of NASA, had access to high-tech equipment, but no funding. Taiga, a high-profile celebrity, commanded the hearts and minds of many people. Nagi was the wealthiest girl in the world, having inherited her family's riches. And finally, Aria was head of some clandestine order within the CIA, sitting on top of a whole lot of funding. We banded together and founded a secret society that, originally, wanted to bring the world out of the dark ages we found ourselves in. We called ourselves the Illuminati, because…why not? On that day, Louise, Taiga, Nagi, and Aria became the Illuminati's Elite Four. They elected me as the leader of the Illuminati, with the title Champion.

We searched for people who thought as we did, people who wanted more to bring the world into a new age of prosperity rather than carve out a niche for themselves. People like that were really hard to find. For all the progressive, politically-correct thinking that dominated the modern age, people were quite easily willing to define small tribes that only wanted to survive, everyone else be damned. Nations conspired against other nations. Scientists conspired against other scientists. Companies conspired against each other and against their consumer base. The Illuminati grew very slowly and it soon became clear that, in the face of human nature, we weren't going to change anything. The world was doomed.

So we fell back to an alternate plan: leave Earth. Louise channeled NASA's technology toward constructing a functioning warp drive. Nagi funded the whole operation, while Taiga distracted the public and Aria distracted the government's omnipresent eyes. Honestly, most people had long forgotten about NASA anyway, so it wasn't extremely difficult. After a few years, our spaceship was ready. It's amazing what scientists and engineers could actually accomplish if they focus on researching their passions rather than on academic politics.

We named our ship the Kugimiya and, on one fateful night, we gathered the Illuminati into the ship and launched into space. Five minutes after we exited the atmosphere, self-destruct sequences activated in all of the Illuminati's bases, including NASA headquarters. Nobody would know how we accomplished what we did. Nobody would follow us. We had cut all ties from Earth.

The Kugimiya's main computer activated the warp drive and is set to scan star systems for planets that could support life, given parameters such as distance from the nearest star. We don't know whether we'll find anything before we run out of supplies. But if we had remained behind, our fates wouldn't have been much better.

For now, the entirety of the ship's population is still working hard developing new technologies that we would use if we ever find a new home. And I vow, as Champion of the Illuminati, that if we do lay a foundation for a new society, that we will never fall victim to the corruption that destroyed the rest of humanity on Earth.

Attention to all members of the Illuminati,

This is Louise. As you may have heard, the Kugimiya's main computer has detected a potential planet for settling. The planet bears striking similarity to Earth in terms of atmosphere and distance from the nearest star and the computer predicts a 97% chance that the environment supports human life. This is undoubtedly great news, because we started this journey not even knowing if we would ever find a destination, but I urge all of you not to get too excited. Besides the obvious 3% chance that the planet is actually inhospitable, you also should remember that we don't know much about this new world. Who lives there? What lives there? How will they react to our arrival?

Know that if the worst case happens and we need to depart this new world again, we have plenty of supplies to last us quite awhile longer. So don't panic. At any rate, with our current speed we will reach the star system in about three days' time, so prepare yourselves accordingly. The Elite Four will be giving you all updates as we get them.

Louise
    Leader of the Elite Four

To all military personnel,

I want to commend you on facilitating our landing upon this planet. Unfortunately, only Landing Pods 1 through 4 have been accounted for. I have dispatched scouts to try to find the other pods. The computer had a missing number glitch at a very unfortunate time and sent the rest of the pods far away from our current location. For now, I want to relay my commands for the military personnel on this island.

First of all, we're all aware of the amazing life-forms that have surrounded us since we landed. I've personally seen some seagulls with hilariously gigantic beaks and last night, I think I saw a spherical whale come up for air from the beach. I can't stress enough to you guys that we shouldn't attack any of these life-forms unless we're defending ourselves. So far, the creatures seem to have noticed us, but haven't done much of anything to antagonize the landing site, so let's try to keep the peace.

Secondly, my scouts have reported that we're on an island. There's quite a large landmass west of us that we might move to once we get our bearings. The computer wasn't able to give us any bird's-eye images of the planet surface when we were landing because of that glitch I mentioned. The fact that we're surrounded by water is good, I think, because I was able to secure the perimeter of the island with only a few units. Feel free to wander around the island and let the civilians do the same, but don't go too far into the water. We don't know the currents around here and I don't want us to lose any more people; also, there are probably creatures living in the water and I don't know how they'll react to us.

For now, keep up the good work. I'm really liking this world so far.

Aria
    Vanguard of the Elite Four

"Greetings, members of the Illuminati. I'd first like to thank our engineering teams for tirelessly working to get an electronic network setup around what we're now calling the first sovereign nation of this new world. I'm here today to talk about this new nation and the philosophies that will form the cornerstones of its foundation.

"As you know, we all fled here from Earth. We came from many different places and different backgrounds, but we all shared one vision – a world of peace, where humans can live with one another in harmony without fear of corruption. Without fear of war. Without fear of deceit. We all envisioned a world where the righteous would triumph over the wicked, where justice would always reign supreme. We all strove to make Earth that world. And we failed.

"Why did we fail? We failed because it is within our own nature to destroy. It is hard-wired in human nature. It is this trait that allowed humans to emerge dominant on Earth. But after pre-history, after the human species emerged dominant – was it not time to discard these old habits and work together? Was it not time to focus on creating a better world, now that humans were the world's masters? It was. But instead, we clung on to our base instincts. Humanity turned upon itself, and our voice – the voice of a few – was laughably insufficient to turn the tide.

"This is why we came here. This is why we find ourselves many light-years from home, because we wanted a new beginning. We wanted to live our ideals of working together to build a world of peace and happiness, not a world of corruption and politics. And we got our wish. Look around you. You're standing on a new planet – a planet that, as far as we could tell, was devoid of human life before we arrived. It is a pristine planet, free of corruption and evil. And we're here.

"This isn't a time to celebrate, however. We have been given both a gift and a heavy responsibility. I want all of us to remember that we are humans too, and there isn't much standing between us and the fate that befell Earth. We could choose to pollute this new world. We could choose to destroy its resources and enslave its life-forms. We could choose to create a second Earth and allow history to repeat itself. I implore you not to choose that path.

"Instead, let's live in harmony with each other and with our surroundings. Let's see each other as friends, not as enemies. Let's treat nature with respect. Let's build a society vastly different from the one we fled from – one built upon justice and truth rather than upon conflict and duplicity. Let's focus our human intellect on building technology to heal and build rather than to destroy.

"Let's work together. We have plenty of room to grow and thrive. Let's not abuse this gift. This is Taiga, Heart of the Elite Four, wishing all of us well. Thank you."

EVER GRANDE CITY, Hoenn – Most of the populace is concerned about the recent crash landing of what has been confirmed to be another craft from Earth.

"I have sent my scouts to investigate the crash site," said Nagi, Hand of the Elite Four. "They discovered a solitary human in a spaceship and immediately took him into custody. While investigation is ongoing, we can confirm that the ship is indeed from Earth."

The Hand of the Elite Four went on to identify the planet's most recent inhabitant as named Shibuya. The latest from Shibuya reveals that Earth devolved into a brutal world war after the exodus of the Illuminati. Shibuya claims to be fleeing from the chaos there.

Authorities have no idea how anyone on Earth managed to reproduce the warp drive that allowed the Kugimiya, the original craft that brought the Illuminati here, to travel the long distance from Earth.

Shana, Champion of the Illuminati, went on record as saying that the Elite Four is still contemplating what to do about the situation.

"Honestly, news from Earth is unwelcome," she said. "We all left to put everything from there behind us, and now this guy appears. We need to figure out what to do."

Transmission 04091987
    Received at the Capitol of the Zodiac Federation of Earth

Greetings, sirs. Do I have news for you. My little space pod actually found a planet! It's really big and the environment is stunning. There are so many different life-forms here that you wouldn't find on Earth. The people here have mostly befriended them.

Oh, right, the people. Remember that thing that launched out of Houston all those years back, before all those explosions at NASA headquarters? Remember when people were saying it was a man-made craft? Well, it was. All the people I've seen here are actually from Earth, and they got here on that craft. From what I gather, they came here because they didn't like the way things were on Earth. They've set up a new society here based on peace and love or something like that. I told them that there was a war on Earth, but I didn't tell them how it ended. They don't know that the Zodiac Federation now rules the planet, and they won't be expecting any sort of invasion from you if you come here.

Imagine what you could do here! There's plenty of land. These dopes have already setup an infrastructure, so all the work is done for you. Best of all, you could use all of these animal things. I've seen little rodents that generate electricity out of nowhere. Imagine if you caged them up and hooked wires up to their faces? Free energy forever!

Nobody knows I'm sending this transmission. They'll have no idea what hit them when you show up. Come in and do whatever you want. As long as I get a big house, plenty of money, and lots of fame for leading our glorious people to this new world, I don't care.

End transmission.

Executive Order, #09301998
    Attention: Elite Four

As all of you know by now, that guy Shibuya who landed awhile back has sent a transmission back to Earth alerting them to our presence here. Aria tells me they managed to intercept the transmission, but that it's unknown whether or not any of it managed to get through to Earth. If so, it will take quite some time for it to reach Earth and even more time for whatever Federation the transmission mentions to take action. But I'm concerned that they will definitely take action, and it won't be a good one.

As Champion of the Illuminati, I hereby issue the following orders.

One. Shibuya doesn't yet know that we intercepted his message. Aria, you are to apprehend Shibuya, restrain him, put him on his ship, and send the ship flying into space. I don't care what direction you send it to, but the first thing I want is that douchebag gone.

Second. Alert everyone in the country that this has happened. If people from Earth show up, we all know what they will try to do. There won't be peaceful negotiations and they won't respect our way of life. If they were the kind of people who would do that, we wouldn't have fled here in the first place. As much as it pains me to say this, it is imperative that everyone prepare for war. I am aware that few people are versed in the manufacture and use of weaponry, so we need to figure out something.

Third. I'm concerned about the life-forms around here (by the way, I know that there are countless species of these things, but is there a name for all of them in general?). They've grown to be a very integral part of life here. We humans understand war and conflict. I don't think they do, and it pains me to think about them witnessing such horrors in the future. We need a plan to protect them.

We will have an emergency meeting tomorrow. Try to get the first two things on this order done by then so we can plan what to do next.

Signed,
    Shana
    Champion of the Illuminati

Laboratory notebook entry #39

We have finalized two major projects begun since the Elite Four sent out the summons for war preparations. The preliminary results leading here are documented in previous entries.

First, the first working prototype of what we have called the "Poké Ball" will soon be mass-produced. Current work is focused on researching the effect of different apricorn strains on the matter-bending engine within the ball; however, our current prototype can store mostly any object, living or not, and release them out with no ill effects. The original idea was to use these capsules for transport of inanimate objects, but given the many reports of different life-forms wishing to fight alongside us against the Earthlings, I believe our technology will in fact be used to transport these different creatures. People all over have already begun calling them "pocket monsters," or Pokémon for short.

I note here that absolutely no ill effects, either physical or otherwise, have been observed when storing Pokémon in these capsules. Some of the Pokémon resent being held in them (depending on individual personality), and we have excluded them from further experimentation, but the Pokémon that volunteered for testing emerged just fine.

Also, we have noted that the matter-bending technology curiously does not work on humans. This is perhaps a good thing, but at any rate, given time constraints we will no longer be researching how to store humans in Poké Balls.

The second note in this entry has to do with the environmental engineering arm, which aims to create grass that attracts Pokémon. Such grass has been successfully engineered and planted across the country, and my field researchers have noted that wild Pokémon have all migrated into the grass. Hopefully, this allows the Pokémon to hide from any invaders when war finally comes. Also, it will allow humans on our side to know where Pokémon are so we can try to steer conflict away from them.

Signed and witnessed: Tony, head of engineering

Major Carol, 459th division under Aria, Vanguard of the Elite Four

Here is my report detailing the sequence of events that has led to the current conflict. Three days ago our sensors in Mossdeep City detected a large cluster of objects suddenly appear within planetary orbit. The scanners quickly affirmed that the objects were space-faring crafts. Within two hours the center sent a message into space as instructed by Shana, Champion of the Illuminati in the event of unidentified spacecraft detected near the planetary surface. The message read as follows:

"To the leader of the fleet currently holding orbit: we have detected your presence and demand that you identify yourselves immediately. This world is under the sovereignty and protection of the Illuminati; as such, you are currently encroaching on our space. Signed, Shana, Louise, Taiga, Nagi, and Aria."

One hour after the message was sent, a reply was received at Mossdeep City and read as follows:

"To the inhabitants planet-side: this is General Pena of the Zodiac Federation. We will be taking control of this planet and all of its resources. To ensure a swift transition, we will be landing Federation troops within the next twenty-four hours. Failure to surrender will result in use of deadly force."

The enemy began sending landing craft to the surface soon after. Scouts reported they set up a perimeter on Bull Pen Island, which fortunately had not been settled.

As we had been preparing for this scenario for some time, our forces mobilized immediately.

Field notes, entry #4

We continue to investigate the almost supernatural healing properties of the Pokémon. A Federation strike force managed to injure several wild Pokémon before our forces managed to drive them off, and we brought the injured creatures back to the medical lab for treatment. To our surprise, they recovered quite quickly while being prepped by the medics. Numerous other field researchers have reported the same. Tony, head of engineering, did some measurements before we released the Pokémon back into the wild and found a strange "energy field" permeating their bodies that seems to be the source of their regeneration.

Here's what we know about this energy field so far. First, the field has a limit – a Pokémon can still sustain enough injury to die if the field's regenerative capabilities are overwhelmed, as evidenced by the casualties upon Vermillion City last month. Second, the limit is still quite high; most injuries we have documented to date have been overcome within hours at most. Third, the Pokémon do not seem to feel their injuries physically; instead, injury imposes upon them a fatigue, presumably because the energy field is utilizing biological resources to regenerate. The fatigue eventually leads to the Pokémon fainting if the energy field is depleted enough.

Finally, and this is a bit disturbing, is that Pokémon within Poké Balls cannot regenerate, though their fields can sustain their life force. Tony's lab has, however, created a device that can invoke the regenerative properties of Pokémon if an injured Pokémon within its Poké Ball is placed within the device. He reports that this device will soon be ready for mass production and distribution.

My team is currently studying the origins of this energy field. It has several wave-like properties and it seems to resonate from a specific location. We have tracked the location to Mt. Coronet in the Sinnoh region – thankfully, far from the front – and we are preparing to investigate the mountain further.

Signed, Wanda, head of field research team

Transcript of subject: Elizabeth, session 8

It appeared in my mind – this Pokémon was white with a bright metallic circle around it. It traveled on four legs and radiated an almost majestic aura. I remember my surroundings fading – one second, we were approaching the summit of Mt. Coronet, and another, my vision was filled with a bright light with this Pokémon in the center.

It referred to itself as Arceus, the Original One. It told me that it created the entire world, and that it had been observing us. It noted we've been defending the Pokémon and this world from the Federation and it thanked us.

It next told me what we'd gone up there to find out – it was the source of the energy field that we've been researching. All Pokémon have this…shield, I guess you can call it, that protects them, and Arceus made it such that Pokémon can battle one another without fear of actual physical or psychological harm. Our Poké Balls slow down the shield's regeneration, but Tony's healing devices can get past that.

Arceus told me that from now on, Pokémon would only fight alongside a human if the human proved himself or herself worthy. But it warned me that the Federation has begun researching ways of brainwashing Pokémon to fight us on our own terms – after all, our main advantage in this war is that they've never encountered Pokémon before.

That's all. Arceus informed me that it won't interfere with the war because, after all, this is our problem, and we need to clean up our own mess.

RE: Lieutenant Surge

Keep this man under strict watch. He approached our forces with a white flag earlier and said he wished to defect to our side. He identified himself as Lt. Surge and said he came from America.

During questioning, he said that he had grown to admire our way of life and regretted the Federation's invasion of our world. He spoke about the American ideal of freedom and said he could no longer betray that which he swore an oath to defend before the Zodiac Federation took over Earth. Details of the questioning sessions are attached to this notice.

Until such as time as we can verify his intentions, Surge is to be kept under guard at all times.

Aria
    Vanguard of the Elite Four

"I am pleased to announce that the war is over. We are victorious.

"The turning point came from the defection of Lt. Surge of the Federation, who was swayed by our philosophies on life here. He bore witness to our love of peace and justice, honesty and morality – and condemned the Federation for crushing those ideals on Earth and seeking to crush those ideals here. He surrendered, and promptly gave us valuable information on the enemy's position and plans.

"With this information, we executed a daring attack upon the Federation's base of operations on Bull Pen Island. Concurrently we launched an assault with a team of Clefable on the Federation's fleet holding orbit over the island. Both attacks were successful as the enemy was not expecting us to go on such an offensive. The forces on Bull Pen Island were routed and we were able to program the Federation's ships to travel at warp speed away from our world for an indefinite period of time.

"With victory comes the onus of rebuilding. The war has been devastating, but our philosophy has won the day. Members of the Illuminati, look forward to a new beginning and let us all remind ourselves of our promise to live true to our vision of a world at peace.

"I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the brave Pokémon that have fought at our side against our enemies of old. Without them there would not have been victory this day. And I think we all can see that these creatures, of all sizes and demeanors, have become an integral part of life. Some study Pokémon. Others keep them as pets. Still others have decided to continue training with them, to gain power through the bond between human and Pokémon. For us all, we have placed ourselves on a path alongside these creatures, to live in harmony with them. Never forget that they are our friends and we must treat them with love and respect.

"We must also be vigilant, such that we may stave off any future threats to us and to the Pokémon. This is why I am instituting the first Pokémon Leagues! There will be one in every region and it shall be the ultimate challenge to Pokémon trainers – for we will always cherish the bonds between humans and Pokémon, and we must also keep our strength in battle if ever a threat arises anew.

"Louise, Nagi, Taiga, and Aria will oversee the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Leagues, respectively. I remind you, though, we are all getting old, and I ask a new generation of Illuminati to rise up and push our society forward into a new future. Train hard, and always remember our promise to ourselves and to our Pokémon.

"This is Shana, Champion of the Illuminati, wishing all of us well. Thank you."

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Red's journal: 28 September 1998

This is it. I got my first Pokémon. I turned 10, and I finally got my trainer's license. I've waited so long for this day…the day I meet my first Pokémon partner, the day I leave home to begin my journey through the world.

Professor Oak asked to see me and Blue. I ventured out of town to find him, and he stopped me before I got attacked by a wild Pokémon. He brought me back to his lab and explained that he wanted us to fill the Pokédex, a high-tech encyclopedia that records information on any Pokémon we've caught. In other words, he wants us to catch one of every known species of Pokémon in the world.

Blue jumped to the task because he's always trying to find something to compete with me at. It doesn't matter. I'm going to fulfill the professor's dream and, in the process, become the Champion of Kanto. I just know it's my destiny.

And hopefully – hopefully, I can find Leaf. I still remember the day that tall lady in all black arrived at Pallet Town and took her away. Nobody know who that lady was, or where they went. I haven't told anyone this, but that's why I've wanted to leave all these years on my journey – to go find her.

Attention: Rocket Executives

Effective immediately, Team Rocket is disbanded. That trainer Red has made mincemeat out of all of us and it seems as though we've squandered way too many resources trying to defeat him. That kid is unstoppable and he recently uncovered our last hideout at Viridian Gym.

He's made quite an impression on me, really. I still wonder at where he derives his strength from, that he was able to destroy our entire organization. I am going to retreat into hiding to avoid the authorities and I advise that all of you do the same. Find a new path in life. Team Rocket is done.

I suppose I always knew it would end this way. Ever since I first left the Earth Kingdom in the Zodiac Federation to come here and create Team Rocket, I sensed I lacked direction. Team Rocket has become a powerful symbol of evil and corruption, but what did we really stand for? What were we trying to do? Nobody knows, including me. And I feel as though today's defeat is my fault, as the Rocket Boss, for not giving you all direction.

I apologize. But that is moot now. Go your separate ways, and tell your underlings to do the same. As I said before, effective immediately, Team Rocket is finished.

Red's journal: 19 October 1999

The past few days have been a blur. Let me start from the beginning.

I reached Indigo Plateau and officially challenged the Elite Four: Lorelei, the ice-type master; Bruno, the fighting-type master; Agatha, the ghost-type master; and Lance, the dragon-type master. I had to beat all of them in a row. My team stood firm and they shared my determination. And finally, Lance's Dragonite fainted, and I declared victory.

Lance then informed me that Blue had beaten him before I did, so by League protocol, I needed to challenge Blue next. Blue was as cocky as ever and he told me that he assembled teams that would beat any Pokémon type. Our battle was heated and again, my Pokémon rose to the challenge of taking down my age-old rival. In the end, it came down to Charizard versus his Blastoise. Despite having a type disadvantage, Charizard pulled through and won.

Mere hours after Blue was crowned Champion, I took his title away from him. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost…but not quite.

There was a small ceremony afterward. Professor Oak appeared – he was actually there to congratulate his grandson, but ended up congratulating me instead. My Pokémon – the Pokémon who'd fought so hard for me – joined me in the Hall of Fame. I retired to the hotel in Indigo Plateau feeling at the top of the world. I strove so hard from when I left Pallet Town, up to defeating Giovanni and making him disband Team Rocket, and now I was Champion of Kanto.

I slept so much that night and awoke early. I walked out of the hotel to get some air when someone called out to me from behind. I turned – and there she was. Leaf. The girl from my childhood, the girl I'd been searching for all this time.

I stood there, probably slack-jawed, staring at her. I was completely stunned. I struggled to find something to say, anything…but she spoke first.

"Red, Champion of Kanto, the one who took down Team Rocket. Would you battle with me? This won't be an official League match. I haven't defeated the Elite Four of Indigo, after all."

I asked her why she was being so formal with me, but instead of answering, she repeated her question. I thought, fine, and we had a one-on-one match. I sent out Charizard, and she sent out a bird Pokémon I'd never seen before. She called it Staraptor.

"There are Pokémon you've never even heard of, outside Kanto," I remember her saying.

Staraptor and Charizard sparred for a short time, but it became clear to me quickly into the match that Charizard had no chance. Staraptor was far faster and stronger. Before it could do any further damage, I called Charizard back and conceded the match. Leaf seemed disappointed.

"Train harder, Red. One day, we'll meet again."

I naturally told her to wait. There was so much I wanted to catch up on – but she had none of it. In an instant, she hopped on Staraptor and flew away. Her words echoed in my head. I had to train harder. I'm going to finish up my Pokédex in Kanto, and then I'm going to travel away from here and learn new things. It's clear to me that I still have a long way to go.

I've decided that I'm going to abdicate my title. It's going to be hard for challengers if I'm traveling abroad, and I can't sit in Indigo Plateau forever receiving challengers. They're going to need to hold a tournament to decide who my successor will be, but I'll let them worry about that.

May's journal: 11 November 2000

I'm still in shock. That boy I wrote about, the one I kept trying to teach the basics of being a Pokémon trainer? He's actually Red, the Champion of Kanto. No wonder I kept losing to him, despite Marshtomp having a type advantage over his Blaziken. It's not my fault I didn't recognize him when we first met, either. He introduced himself as "Ruby," saying it was a nickname of his. Also, he always wore this hilariously ridiculous hat that make it look like he had fuzzy white hair. How was I supposed to tell?

I recall I finally had it at Lilycove City when I lost to "Ruby" for the fourth time. Hurt, I decided I would quit being a trainer right there and flew home. No sooner had I walked into my room did he run in after me, telling me not to give up. I was bitter and I asked him why…and he pulled out his Trainer Card, and there on the card was the badge of Kanto's Champion. Unlike other Badges, only one of those existed – as if anyone won against Red, he'd need to give that badge and his title to the challenger.

He encouraged me to keep going. He told me that he saw a lot of potential in me. And I knew then that I can't give up. I said I wanted to say at home for a little while and help with the Pokédex before I kept going, though. Red then gave me his Pokédex. It's a National model and contains information about Pokémon I've never even heard of! It's so exciting to read about Pokémon native to Kanto.

Red headed off to continue his journey. He's going to challenge the Hoenn League. He said that he abdicated his title as Champion of Kanto, and he'd need to give his Badge to the new Champion (I think he called him Lance?) who was just crowned. I've never heard of a Champion abdicating before, but, well…Red's a pretty unique person, I guess. I knew that the first day I met him, anyhow.

Dear Juan,

Thank you for organizing the tournament to choose the new Champion of Hoenn. I thought about your question, whether I would consider participating, and have decided against it. When Red beat me, I actually felt a bit relieved. I want to wander the region again and devote some time to my hobby rather than sitting in Ever Grande answering challengers. As such, since Wallace won the tournament, I ask he officially be named Champion of Hoenn.

I should warn him, though. Red may have abdicated and left the region for Johto, but he's not the only strong Pokémon trainer around here. I've heard that his friend May from Littleroot Town has resumed her journey, and I've heard she's a strong trainer in her own right. Wallace's reign may be short-lived.

Then again, if he's anything like me, that might come as a relief to him. I can't imagine he's content to go from receiving challengers in a Gym to receiving challengers at the Pokémon League.

Anyway, take care,
    Steven

Hey Red!

Guess what? I'm Champion of Hoenn now! I managed to beat Wallace yesterday. I wanted to let you know because, well, you're the one who told me not to give up being a trainer. I'm going to send this to New Bark Town, and I hope the letter finds its way to you.

After you left Hoenn and I left to continue my journey, a disaster struck. Team Magma and Team Aqua made their moves, wanting to awaken Groudon and Kyogre, respectively. Maxie, leader of Team Magma, wanted to expand the landmass, which is stupid from an ecological standpoint, but at least his plan made some sort of sense. Archie, his rival from Team Aqua, wanted to expand the oceans by getting Kyogre to make it rain. Didn't he ever study the water cycle? How dumb, right?

Anyway, I put an end to both of them narrowly by catching Rayquaza to calm both Groudon and Kyogre down. They saw how disastrous their plans were and both their teams are disbanded. I can only hope they study some environmental preservation after this.

I went on to challenge the League at Ever Grande City and now I'm Hoenn's newest Champion. I'm so happy! I hope you find the girl you were talking about. Leaf, right? She sounds kind of intense. And why'd she tell you to meet her at Mt. Silver, anyway? I heard that only Champions are allowed access to that place. Are they going to let you in automatically, since you're Champion of 3 regions, or are they going to make you battle through another League again?

Keep in touch!
    May

Cynthia,

I understand your concerns, but I know what I'm doing. I battled Red again at Mt. Silver and won. Yes, he's a Champion thrice, but I do not believe he is yet ready to face the trials that we must contend with.

But, since I see wisdom in your words, I have left Red a note explaining what the Illuminati are and the battles we face against the Zodiac Federation. I must attend to some matters regarding Cyrus – he is the only leader remaining after Red defeated Giovanni (and, I heard his friend from Johto, Kris, handed Team Rocket a second defeat when they tried to return) and May stopped Maxie and Archie, so I have directed Red to you in case he has any questions. A copy of my letter to Red follows this message.

Leaf

"Red,

"By the time you read this, you will have awakened. I apologize for ordering my Pokémon to knock you out after my victory over you. It is unorthodox to order a Pokémon to attack a trainer, though I understand you have used similar means of neutralizing the members of Team Rocket when you fought them three years ago.

"Yes, Red. I have been keeping my eyes on you. I know you left Pallet Town to find me. In this letter, I will explain where I have been and what I have been doing in the hopes that you will abandon your vision of pursuing me, for I believe…I believe our paths in this world have diverged irrevocably.

"You took the scholar's route in your childhood. Unlike some, who began as trainers almost immediately following primary school, you studied in school until the age of 10 before you received your trainer's license; as such, you are versed in the history of our world. You know that Shana led the Illuminati here from faraway Earth and that the Illuminati were pursued by the Zodiac Federation. And you know that the Zodiac Federation suffered a serious defeat when they invaded.

"But there are some things school does not teach you. Some remnants of the Zodiac Federation evaded capture when Shana's forces won the war. There were five cells unaccounted for, and the Illuminati lived on to combat them. Over time, we decided that this should be kept secret – for we wished the world could move on and forget this terrible scar upon our history. It was Shana and the original Elite Four's wish that this world could prosper in harmony – humans and Pokémon alike. A lingering threat like this we wished the world would need not worry about.

"The Illuminati faded into secrecy, with a Champion elected every generation to fight the remnants of Zodiac alone. Cynthia, Champion of Sinnoh, is the last Champion of the Illuminati, and she searched for a successor. Years ago, the traveled to Pallet Town and found me. Ever since then I have followed the secret path of the Illuminati and I have dedicated my life to stopping the Zodiac Federation from causing any more havoc upon our peaceful world. Recently I have succeeded her as acting Champion.

"I mentioned the remnants. The Zodiac Federation is composed of several different factions. Of these, four are the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, the Water Tribes, and the Air Nomads. Within the Federation, they were led by Giovanni, Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus, respectively. After the Federation's defeat, these four factions went unaccounted for along with the core governing body of the Federation's troops that landed here, led by one known as Tomek.

"Giovanni, Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus left the Federation for unknown reasons. But all sought to leave their mark on the world in their own way. Only recently did we find out Cyrus's plan. The other three had plans that have now been foiled, one by yourself. After I leave this mountain, I plan to go after Cyrus. And after that, the final cell is still at large.

"This is my life – an unending battle against a shadow that I must fight alone. Go forth, Red, and live your life of peace. Forget about me.

Leaf"

Red's journal: 19 May 2002

I don't know what to do. After I read Leaf's letter, I was in shock at the summit of Mt. Silver for so long and this plan was the only ray of hope that appeared in my mind. But yesterday, I climbed Mt. Coronet and encountered Dialga, the lord of time. I battled it and asked it to help me turn back time to free Leaf from her burden, but it refused. Apparently someone had already captured Dialga.

Leaf's fighting a force nobody else in the world knows about, all alone. I wish I could help her in some way, but…wait.

Cynthia.

The Champion of Sinnoh was also the Champion of the Illuminati, Leaf wrote. Maybe she can give me some advice. I'm going to go find her – I heard Sinnoh's Champion likes to wander around, so this may be difficult, but it's the only way I can see of moving forward. I can't let Leaf fight this war alone.

Transcript of conversation; subject is unaware he is being recorded
    Recorder: Deckard, scribe of the Illuminati

Cynthia: Congratulations, Red. It seems you are now the Champion of Sinnoh.
    Red: I don't really care for such titles. I told you – I came here to talk to you, not to challenge you. In fact, I didn't even put in an official challenge. You made me battle the Elite Four before you'd see me.
    Cynthia: Yes, I know. But regardless of formalities, you've won, so we'll talk as I am inducting you into the Hall of Fame.
    Red: Tell me about Leaf. Why did you choose her to leave Pallet Town?
    Cynthia: Long ago, when Shana finally scored her decisive victory at Bull Pen Island, she said something: "It is a trainer's heart and determination that makes her a Champion." As I wandered around, I tried to find a trainer with a strong sense of determination. Leaf was the trainer I found.
    Red: Be that as it may, because of that she's fighting Zodiac all by herself.
    Cynthia: Yes. I did not intend for this. While we've sought to keep the enemy's presence a secret, the Illuminati have always fought as a small group. Leaf took this a bit far by trying to fight alone. I've tried to counsel her to seek help, but she refuses to listen.
    Red: I tried to reverse time, you know. I tried to undo what you did.
    Cynthia: We're aware. Leaf herself captured Dialga before you did. Red, you need to understand something. After I taught her the world's – and the Illuminati's – history, I gave her the chance to leave and return home. She refused and pursued her path willingly.
    Red: Leaf seemed to know what I was thinking, then. I assume she also caught Palkia?
    Cynthia: And Giratina. She didn't do this to foil you, mind you. She did this to foil Cyrus. Cyrus has been searching for the Creation Trio for some time; of all these Teams, Team Galactic is by far the most dangerous. They have the resources and Cyrus has the ambition to remake the universe – and Leaf has been striving hard to prevent that.
    Red: So…now that the Creation Trio is under Leaf's command, Cyrus can't do anything?
    Cynthia: Cyrus may still find a way. As you know, the Zodiac Federation developed some rudimentary technology to brainwash Pokémon. All of their underlings have used this technology to command Pokémon who'd otherwise refuse to fight alongside them.
    Red: I see…
    Cynthia: We're here. Red, give me your Pokémon. Whether you accept the title or not, you are now a fourth-time Pokémon League Champion.
    Red: My entire team is assembled here. Maybe it's fitting that they're honored at the same time.

(Red's team is inducted)

Cynthia: So…what will you do now, Red?
    Red: …I'm going back to Mt. Silver to make some preparations. Whether Leaf likes it or not, I am going to help her fight off these goons once and for all. As for this title…Cynthia, keep it. Technically speaking, since I didn't enter an official challenge, you're still Champion of Sinnoh.
    Cynthia: Fine. I'll keep it warm for you.

Dear Dawn,

My name is Kris. I come from New Bark Town. We haven't met, but a mutual friend of ours – Red, the National Champion – has asked me to write to you calling you to Mt. Silver for a meeting. As you know, only Champions are permitted to trek up Mt. Silver because of the dangerous Pokémon that dwell here, but now that you've become Champion of Sinnoh by beating Cynthia, the guards won't give you any trouble.

I came up here to visit Red, and Red told me some scary things. He said that the Zodiac Federation that we learned about in school is still a threat, and that one of his childhood friends, Leaf, has spent her life fighting them as Champion of the Illuminati. He wants to help her, but he doesn't think he can do it alone, so he's asking for our help. You took down Team Galactic when they tried to use the Lake Trio to brainwash the Creation Trio and then beat the Sinnoh League, so Red thinks your skills will be invaluable. He's contacting May, Champion of Hoenn, and he asked me to talk to you.

Together, he says, we will be Leaf's Elite Four, and the Federation's days are numbered starting now!

Kris

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Hey, Red!

I got your message and did ask you asked. I prepared the northwestern part of the Safari Zone and imported all the Pokémon you asked. Your, Kris's, May's, and Dawn's Pokémon are all comfortably living here now rather than spread out across the professors' labs like they were before. Feel free to come visit or pick them up whenever you'd like!

Baoba

Dear Champion Leaf,

I've got an important report to give. Yesterday, Red, Kris, May, and Dawn arrived here in New Bark Town and had a meeting. I hid on the side and listened. It seems they're planning to attack Bull Pen Island. Red mentioned that all their Pokémon that they've caught are all now living in the Johto Safari Zone and that they should choose their teams wisely for the upcoming fight.

Dawn said that she had spoken to Cynthia and Cynthia had given her some information about the island's outer defenses. They know about the weather machines causing massive storms around Bull Pen Island, and the rest of their meeting was dedicated to plans on how to get past those. In short, May is going to attack from underwater, while Dawn will provide air support. Red and Kris will go in via Surf.

The Illuminati, except I suppose Cynthia, is unaware of their plans. Should we provide support? Or will you do something yourself? We await your orders, Champion.

Agent Lyra

Journal of the Great Sage, entry number 66

Soon my plans will come to fruition. It won't be long now. I've just received a report that several kids have destroyed the weather machines and are now on the island. Tomek is sending some scouts to find them, but I've already seen to it that those scouts will fail. I need those kids to take care of Tomek for me, after all. I cannot allow anything to happen to them.

The Zodiac Stones are prepared. These ancient stones have the power to sap a person's willpower, and slowly but surely I subtly used them to absorb the will of Tomek and his own lackeys. I am the sole reason the Federation has remained dormant for so long – but for a good end. For after those kids arrive here and inevitably defeat Tomek, I will emerge and use the stones to absorb their wills as well.

I still remember the self-righteous lecture Pena received during his defeat so many years ago. "It is a trainer's heart and determination that makes her a Champion," said our enemy. Out of all the officers, only I understood the true meaning of these words. We had invaded this world and threatened the idyllic life these people had made for themselves. Of course they would fight with determination – almost desperation – to keep it.

If we continue fighting them, they will continue resisting. Victory must come from subtlety and manipulation. Victory must come from ME! Once the Zodiac Stones have become fully charged from those kids, whom I hear represent the most powerful trainers of the eastern nation, their power shall be mine. And then I will eliminate them and set my sights on the west. The seeds I planted in Unova shall flourish…and this world that has escaped the Federation's grasp I shall bring under my heel!

Soon. SOON.

General Tomek,

I regret to report that the weather machines have been completely destroyed. Some of the enemy's Pokémon have the ability to change the weather locally, rendering our machines defenseless against their attack. The underwater base and the sky fortress have both fallen. The four invaders are nearing the volcano as I write this. The troops defending the anti-eruption machine must not fall, or our fortress will be in extreme peril. I am confident that they can hold off four kids, though, and even if they somehow don't, unless this letter falls into their hands, they won't even know to look for the underground bunker past the volcano.

Scout Team Bravo
    Scout Team Charlie

INTERNATIONAL POLICE UNIT 42
    REPORT ON INTERROGATION OF SUBJECT "TOMEK" ARRESTED BY AGENT LOOKER

Transcript of interrogation:

Asker: Tell me who you are.
    Tomek: I am General Tomek of the surely-now-dead Zodiac Federation's Expeditionary Force.
    Asker: The Expeditionary Force was defeated by Champion Shana and her Elite Four years ago. Why are you still here?
    Tomek: My predecessor was beaten, yes, and exiled from this world. But your people failed to account for all of us. We remained in hiding, slowly plotting our resurgence.
    Asker: And what happened?
    Tomek: We lost our way somehow. I had five lieutenants. Four of them deserted me to conquer the world in their own way. Giovanni sought to create an underground criminal organization in Kanto and Johto to rule the world through fear. Archie and Maxie sought to remake the world through awakening the legendary Pokémon of weather in Hoenn. Cyrus aimed higher – he targeted the legendary Pokémon of time and space and sought to recreate the entire universe. All of them failed.
    Asker: And what about the fifth lieutenant? The one who stayed with you?
    Tomek: He betrayed me at the last minute. I entrusted him with the Zodiac Stones, ancient artifacts from Earth, that sapped the willpower of their targets. It was primarily through the Zodiac Stones that we were able to conquer Earth. General Pena stole them when he was ordered to come here – he sought to abandon the Federation entirely and build a new empire here with himself as the head. He, of course, failed, and the Stones fell to me. When those four kids breached my bunker, I summoned Ghetsis to use the Stones – but he was nowhere to be found. He had fled.
    Asker: Where is he now?
    Tomek: I'll be damned if I know. When you appeared to arrest me, those kids went deeper into the bunker. Why don't you ask them? Maybe they found Ghetsis.
    Asker: Are there any other forces under your command that we should be aware of?
    Tomek: Ghetsis has his own forces. I was a fool to entrust him with so much power. I don't know where they are, but I believe he sent them west, to Unova.
    Asker: Very well. This concludes this questioning. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Tomek: It doesn't matter what you know. Ghetsis is the most manipulative bastard I've ever met. If I couldn't win against you all, he can, and he has the Zodiac Stones to boot. All of you are doomed.

Dear Champion Leaf,

My agents and I have discovered today that Tomek himself, General Pena's successor, is in the custody of the International Police. They know that The Zodiac Federation has survived all these years. Naturally, I sent agents to ensure that they kept this secret from the general populace; the International Police being a secretive organization like ours, it was no difficult to obtain their acquiescence.

Kris, May, and Dawn have returned from Bull Pen Island. Red was not with them. From my information-gathering, it seems that they infiltrated the final bunker and encountered a robed man with a strange red thing over his right eye. Surrounding this man were twelve stones, all glowing with strange symbols. He used these stones to charge something he called the Plasma Cannon, which he wanted to use to destroy the four Champions arrayed before him.

They don't know exactly what happened next. Red told them to fall back, and he charged the Cannon himself – and the Cannon exploded, caving the bunker in. Red and the robed man – their location is at present unknown, but based on what we have gleaned from the International Police, I have taken the liberty of contacting our network in Unova. It seems this robed man is named Ghetsis, and he is the final member of the Zodiac Federation that we must account for.

Champion, I must ask why you have remained silent this entire time. Red and his friends launched a full-scale attack on the headquarters of our ancient enemy, and you said and did nothing. Our enemy's leader was defeated and taken into custody, and we still heard nothing from you. And now, your childhood friend is missing and, given he was last seen within an exploding superweapon, I cannot speak to his safety. Why have you neglected to mobilize the Illuminati?

Agent Lyra

Champion's Log: entry 1337

This long journey to Unova has given me some time to think. I find myself reflecting on whether my actions – or lack of action – was right in this previous and perhaps penultimate chapter of the long struggle between the Illuminati and the Federation.

I knew Red's plans. I knew he would be determined to aid me in my war, and I knew he would seek out Cynthia. I purposely fought and defeated him to spur him on. His determination – driven from his love for me – grew to impossible heights, as I knew it would. And when he finally confronted Ghetsis and his Zodiac Stones, I knew Ghetsis would attempt to harness that power for himself.

I knew it would be too much. I knew the Zodiac Stones would overload, destroying the Zodiac Federation's best and final weapon to use against us. It was all part of my plan.

Tomek, the admittedly incompetent leader of the Federation's forces here, is no longer at large. His forces are broken and destroyed, their remains littered across the wasteland that is Bull Pen Island. Only Ghetsis and his personal forces in Unova are unaccounted for. The war is nearing its end.

I can't help but wonder about Red, though. I know he's alive. It takes more than overloading some magic rocks to take out that one. And if I know Red, he's in Unova, going after Ghetsis. I stayed to take care of some final business – I disbanded the Illuminati, as our work is almost done, and I hope my agents can live the rest of their lives knowing a peace that they never knew before. I approached Kris, May, and Dawn – three members of my Elite Four, as they christened themselves, and thanked them for their actions. I promised them I would find Red. I visited the Safari Zone and deposited my own Pokémon, and now the eastern nation, for the first time, has a complete National Pokédex. I ensured that Red's Master Team, weary from the conflict, could rest in their new home.

And now I travel to Unova to find Red and finish this. Ghetsis is a formidable opponent. Unlike his compatriots under Tomek, he is not one to fight in the light. He will manipulate and strike from the shadows. But Red will take care of him, and once I get there I will help. I will bring peace to our beloved world and finally free it from this long war.

Maybe after…I can spend some time enjoying life. It's a strange concept to me, I guess.

Back