• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Trading Card Game (Game Boy)

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
Years
  • Anyone remember this game? Who still has it?

I actually never had it and just ordered it from eBay and received it in the mail today! Very exciting! It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUN! I can't wait to get really into it! It's definitely a winner.

I wish it was on wi-fi or that they re-made one for the DS!

Thoughts?

Years
  • I liked it so much, I've bought it 3 times (though that's because I lost it the first time I had it when I was 10)! ^_^ /is such a TCG nerd that he even has to collect all the cards in the video games XD;

Unfortunately a DS remake is probably not going to happen because it would take money away from the actual TCG. :(

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Unfortunately a DS remake is probably not going to happen because it would take money away from the actual TCG. :(

I never thought of that. I guess the TCG isn't as popular as it was 10 years ago. :( I wish it was!!! With that in mind, I agree sort of, because I love the TCG so much and I wouldn't want anything to happen to it!!!

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • You know, a TCG for the DS would actually be a great idea. I mean, they probably don't sell a whole lot of the cards anymore, and with the DS being Wi-Fi capable, that would mean tournaments without having to travel all over the world to compete. It could be fun, but hard to say. I'd like to see the cards range all the way from the Base Sets, though.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I loved the game back then and I still love it now :D Although I do wish they would expand the gaming part a bit.

Years
  • You know, a TCG for the DS would actually be a great idea. I mean, they probably don't sell a whole lot of the cards anymore, and with the DS being Wi-Fi capable, that would mean tournaments without having to travel all over the world to compete. It could be fun, but hard to say. I'd like to see the cards range all the way from the Base Sets, though.

Actually, the cards have been selling pretty darn well the past two years because people are coming back to the game after a few years away, and it's actually designed well enough that it is attracting people who have never played it, but play other card games, to it. The reason it would take away sales is that most of the people who would buy a DS update of the TCG game actually play the card game already, and Nintendo is aware that for many, it would come out of the money people spend on the cards. :(

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • There's also too many cards aflutter for them to cram into a remake. Maybe. Depends on which sets they would want to include, but since the older cards aren't really compatible with newer cards (from what I've taken notice to at least), it can't go too far back.

Anyway, I never had this game myself, but my cousin had it and I think he beat it. He was supposed to give it to me since he doesn't play Pokemon anymore, but he hasn't given it over yet.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Not really. Yugioh has quite a few cards and they manage to get all of them into a game.

They don't really need each card from each set. All they really need is one of each card. By this i mean we don't need base set 1 and base set 2 abra's, we just need one abra card representing each version from diffrent sets.

Years
  • Not really. Yugioh has quite a few cards and they manage to get all of them into a game.

They don't really need each card from each set. All they really need is one of each card. By this i mean we don't need base set 1 and base set 2 abra's, we just need one abra card representing each version from diffrent sets.

That's Yu-Gi-Oh, though. The speed at which decks set up has changed drastically in the Pokemon TCG. And most of the Pokemon are stronger, too, and are more efficient. The old Haymaker deck gets obliterated in terms of speed by most properly built Stage 2 decks, because most basic Pokemon now have 60 HP instead of 40 HP.

And, about that second bit, each card of a Pokemon in each set is unique in it's attacks and HP, with very few exceptions. And the way wording on cards is structured has changed a fair bit.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're looking for a deck that dominates on the TCG game, decks like Haymaker and Rain Dance work exceptionally well in the game. ^-^

Last edited:

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Well, I am really glad to here that the sales of the cards have gone up!!! I too just recently got back into the game, so it's good to hear! :)

I would love if they made a game for the DS, because I would collect the real cards and the virtual ones!!!

Come Game Freak!!! DO IT!

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I'd flip if they made a remake. The first was epic. I remember spending days just playing it. I beat the game so much I knew the opponents' decks inside and out (Sad, non?).

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Yeah!!! It makes me mad that the second game never left Japan! XDDDDD

I really want it! You can buy them online, but I don't speak Japanese, so obviously it's going to be hard to play...however, I kind of want to play it anyway! I'm sure I could figure it out...and my boyfriend almost has his minor in Japanese Language!

Is there a ROM of the second game that has been translated?

That would be really handy...

But yeah, they probably won't ever make a third game, but if they did, I'd buy it on the first day!!!

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    As a kid, I hated the TCG 'cause I never understood it. So I never played it. I still know how play it and I have all the cards I ever owned. So beat up and worn out though. I would buy it if they remade it. It sounds cool.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    I am soo glad you made this thread because I decided to play it again and inspired me want to get back into the card game as a whole. Going to be buying me some new cards I guess. My older sister sold all of mine for weed/beer money back when I was a kid :(

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2010
    lol to one above i wonder if my brother will do that to all the pokemon and yugio cards i have... anyways i love the game still own it and was playing it ten minutes ago XD a remake will probably have too many cards in yugioh they dont have all of them just the most memorable/newest and i could never play the tcg as no1 i knew played it.... i do have 1 friend tho that might but it would be tedious playing against only one person never deviating except for in strategies and decks...

Charizard203

Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2019
    I liked the TCG Pokemon Game, I really do wish they remade it for the DS to include all the new Pokemon Cards, I played it on Vizzed Board. I quit at the people who represented the Elite Four, It would have helped If I could've found a Venusaur but no, the game had to hate me so badly it wouldn't let me. I did really like the Game though, maybe they should make it so the starter decks are:
    Charmander&Friends
    Bulbasaur&Friends
    Squirtle&Friends
    all the other starters&Friends
    That would be a great decision for all those Players that like a specific starter.

Back