• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CAN WE PLEASE GET A NEW LV CAP!?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
  • If my experience with RPGs (particularly Fallout) has helped me, it'll tell me that increasing a level cap means the game will be much, much more difficult. I mean, think bout it. With a higher cap, a Pokemon would need an extended moveset and maybe even a larger evolution line, evolution past lv. 100, maybe. That also means a bunch of opponents would make use of those benefits, using their 100+ Pokemon to utterly curbstomp you.

Thing is, I've grown so accustomed to a 100 cap that I don't feel like a change's necessary. Still, it's territory that could see some benefit. If glitches can make level 255 a thing, why can't > 100s be a thing?

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • I think it's time for Pokémon to bust through the roof on this 100 level cap! I wanna fight and see some level 200 Pokémon! BUT! That's just me, what are your thoughts?

I think 100 is enough but if they did end up caping the levels at 200 they would have to lower the EXP needed for the higher levels, it probably wouldn't be viable to have each levels EXP needed be higher than the last, nobody but people with too much time would be able to do it..... I'm someone with too much time but I can't images many people being able to acomplish level 200. Plus with a well thought out strategy a team of level 80's could theoretically beat a team with all level 100's but if the gap were much bigger it would be implausible.
    Maybe they could come up with an item or something that would take off the level cap while training and when battling with certain rules, like how they lower levels to 50 to be fair and make the battle based purely on strategies and team building. They could raise the levels to whatever you trained the Pokemon to while holding that item and make the battles longer and more exciting...... I think that all made sense probably not :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • That would certainly be an interesting idea. They'd have to seriously modify the level curve in that case, because the strongest Pokemon you generally fight in-game are in the high 60s, max, so reaching levels above 100 would be a pretty arduous task. If they could do it while still maintaining a decent level curve, I'd love to see something like this :D

Guest123_x1

As much as having levels higher than 100 sounds as far as fun goes, it's really too strenuous for most players to have to train Pokémon beyond Level 100 as it is now.
    Not to mention the experience required for most Pokémon grows exponentially-for example, Pikachu, which requires 1,000,000 EXP for Level 100, would require 8,000,000 EXP for level 200. And you don't even want to think about how much EXP a Pokémon in the Fluctuating group (e.g. Seviper, which requires 1,640,000 to reach Level 100) would need to get to, say, level 200.
    Bottom line: If the level cap were raised beyond 100, some trainers would push their Pokémon up so much, to the point where most players would be completely blown away by these 'elites'.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The level cap is fine as is. Just imagine how much griding that would be, re-routing the evolutionary line, teaching a new moves once reaching level 100 and making the game extremely hard not to mention the opponent becomes so strong like having level 140 or 110 pikachu. I really don't see a point to train my pokemons reaches the next cap and I'm fine reaching 100 as it pleasing and achievable.

There's one more thing if the level cap raise IV/EV have to be adjusted to accommodate the new level cap, stats would be drastically higher than base max of 100 and WE HAVE A LARGE AMOUNT of pokemon to adept the stats for the new level cap; which lots of editing the data of a pokemon that would hit the new level cap which is 200.

So just leave the level cap be and end the endless girding to the point of 2mil EXP or such.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I also believe that our current level cap is perfect the way it is. It's a well-rounded number, if you ask me, and it does take some time and effort to reach it. If they were to make it higher, I'm sure many of us would feel that it's a tedious change, and likely have a tough time accepting.

Years
  • I don't think I've managed to get a pokemon to the current level cap, ever. Highest was in like...the 60s or 70s? So making it twice as much is definitely not appealing in the least. :( Especially if level gaining still worked how it currently does.

And if the curve was changed to accommodate it, then I don't really see the point in it aside from "look at the bigger number!", really.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Honestly, I never really bother getting my Pokemon to level 100 because it sounds so elementary. "I HAVE A LEVEL 100 CHARIZARD I WILL TRADE WITH YOU FOR YOUR MEWTWO!!!" Exaggerating, but still, haha. Personal annoyances aside, 100 is a great number. It's the first three-digit number, it's a good looking even number, and it's just so...final. When you're a kid, 100 feels so big! And these games are mainly aimed at kids in the long run and I think that's just fine of a level cap.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I don't think it's necessary for a new level cap. Not to mention, not a lot of players level up their Pokémon to Level 100, the current standard level cap. It's really pointless. However, they can alter the curve level for in-game trainers, that's something I would definitely welcome. :)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Why would they? There's no main series game, that requires you to get your team to level 100, as everything, the main game offers, can easily fit into those 100 levels and in official battles, Pokemon get downscaled to level 50, anyway. Adding 100 additional levels doesn't really accomplish anything, except forcing you into more grinding, if you want your Pokemon at max level. They'd need to rework the whole EXP system, changing how much EXP every Pokemon gives and needs and how that has to be distributed throughout the game, which ultimately creates more trouble, than it's actually worth it.

I think, Pokemon capping at 100 is already high enough, especially, since your everyday RPGs caps at level 99, as well and I don't think, a lot of people would like it, if Pokemon went the Disgaea route, when it comes to leveling. although, there definitely are people, who wouldn't have a problem with that {XD}

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I find it difficult enough training an individual Pokemon to Level 100, to raise the cap a further hundred levels would be insane in my opinion. Not only that but it could potentially disturb many different aspects of the games.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I think it's time for Pokémon to bust through the roof on this 100 level cap! I wanna fight and see some level 200 Pokémon! BUT! That's just me, what are your thoughts?

I like this idea because it would increase the difficulty of the play through. However, it would make EV training much more tedious, and decrease the quality of added evolutions. In addition, game freak would focus too much time on additional move sets. Unfortunately, I dont think this idea would work. :(

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I don't think going above 100 really adds anything except a lot more work for a trainer and possibly a ton of unnecessary changes to game mechanics.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Honestly I would like an increase to the cap, and I don't think it would case much issues. All game freak or any rom hack/fan game maker would need to do is make the game longer and give you more to do throughout the playthrough so you can gain the levels you need.

Like in the Johto games you go through 2 regions so if you brought up all the gym leader and pokemon league members to match all the other games, so like 60s or even 70s, remember Cynthia's Garchomp was level 68. And then when you move on to Kanto the gym leaders could end with Blue at like 120 or something then you could do an elite four rematch with them having 130s-140s, and then end the game with Red at around 150. It would be a great way to fix level scaling in the Johto games since right now everything is underleveled.

Increasing the level cap may be a tricky thing to do, but if done right I feel it could be really easy.

Years
  • Would like to see NPCs utilizing anything over level 70s -in storyline- first.
    Storyline leveling basically ends at level 50, sometimes 60.
    Highest level (outside Secret Bases) Pokémon I've seen not-online is level 80 in HGSS. And that's only one trainer.

I don't think the regions are long enough to increase the level cap. I think level 100 is already too high, because there's no use. You usually don't learn any new moves after level 70 with very very few exceptions, and in online battles your Pokémon are scaled down to 50 anyway.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Eh, I prefer the Lv100 cap. Most people don't generally go up to the cap in the first place, and raising the cap would just drag things out. Heck, even the strongest battles in the games and the strongest legendaries only go up to around 80. If the cap was higher, though, it might discourage raising several different Pokemon and make people stick to just a few.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • If the point of increasing the level cap is to extend the length of the games, then just make the games longer by adding areas with trainers with pokemon lvl's 60-90's.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    Please no. Imagine how long that would take to level a whole team up. And if the games stayed the same length that is A LOT of Elite Four grinding!

I'd much rather them make more use of the levels they do have. They could change the level curve through the first playthrough (which, with them making the games EASIER, I don't see them doing). I however would love if they brought back a variation of "challenge mode" from 5th gen and instead of Steven's Metagross (using ORAS as the example) being at 59/79 it be at 69/89 or something!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I can only see this working as something in the deep post-game, like way after even Delta Episode when you've had time to just kinda chill and do what you wanna do for misc material in the game. Then maybe, if you meet certain criteria (have six Pokémon reach level 100, beat the Elite Four ten times, Idk... stuff like that) then an area could be unlockable that allows Pokémon to surpass the level cap just for the extra challenge of higher stats or something.

That's the only way I could see it working, and even that has its flaws.

Back