• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does your starter Pokemon *have* to be strong?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Would it be bad to have an eh starter pokemon, so the player doesn't feel restricted to it and can instead have more of a choice? Or would that be bad?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    It wouldn't, I know some people would actually like that since they'd be forced to actually use strategies, or to catch more Pokémon. The normal starter trios are always strong enough for me to just level them up and not care about training any more Pokémon until late in the game.

Though this may also depend on the starter Pokémon you're going for.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think this is a nice idea, and would even out gameplay a lot. I was always torn about my starter in the canon games, and in Citrite I tried to ensure your starter wasn't specially unique for that reason.

I'd enjoy getting rid of having unique starters that no hardly anyone else has, because it'd make my Pokémon feel more interchangeable and less bound down. It'd also be more like if we started our journeys as, you know, regular trainers? :P

Back