• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2013
Have the following script:

'---------------
#org 0x90010D
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0x8900129 MSG_NORMAL '"Here you are"
giveitem 0x371 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
setflag 0x828
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x900129
= Here you are

And it works fine, except for when I get the item it just shows as ????????. What is my problem? the item is the Aurora ticket btw

Is there a way to make it so the legendary dogs all show up in firered? Not just the one correlating to your choice of starter?

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Have the following script:

Code:
'---------------
#org 0x90010D
lock
faceplayer
msgbox 0x8900129 MSG_NORMAL '"Here you are"
giveitem 0x371 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
setflag 0x828
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x900129
= Here you are

And it works fine, except for when I get the item it just shows as ????????. What is my problem? the item is the Aurora ticket btw

Hello! You put a "0x" before the number, so it's treated as hexadecimal. However, that number is the decimal value for that item.

Either remove the "0x" or change it to "0x173".

Code:
giveitem 371 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
or
Code:
giveitem 0x173 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN

Either will work.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_items_by_index_number_(Generation_III)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2013
This seems like a basic question, but googling hasnt helped. How do you test specific maps? If I edit one map is there an easy way to jump to it for testing?

Thank! next question. I am trying to do two things at the moment.

1) to make it so all three legendary dogs are available in the wild as opposed to just the one correlating to your starter. can someone push me in the right direction regarding this as I am completely lost.

2)to make it so both forms of deoxy can be caught. The easiest being to just have the two deoxy come down side by side and battle you one after the other I guess? This scripting is also beyond me at the moment but I am trying to learn. Any pointers?

Thanks! This fixed it for me.

Hello! You put a "0x" before the number, so it's treated as hexadecimal. However, that number is the decimal value for that item.

Either remove the "0x" or change it to "0x173".

Code:
giveitem 371 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
or
Code:
giveitem 0x173 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN

Either will work.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2017
Post your script, though from what you've described you're missing a parameter on one of your commands.

Actually, I have seen this in other places. The only solution is to retype it. It's an XSE bug, one of the very few.

There is another solution, but it requires a second computer. Put your script in a notepad file and redownload XSE but on a different computer. Now open the script in that computer and it should work fine.

It was the bug, indeed, thanks for helping again.

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
1) when to reach the offset of the next attack is my best guess since I haven't done much work actually playing with the individual data, I have just swapped the pointers in the table. So, make note of when the next attacks data begins and it obviously has to end before that.

2) Those are just the pointers. Animations are set up in a table of about 350 pointers, one for each animation. You must edit you .ini file to include this table if it doesn't already. So basically it can be used to swap animations, I.e. swapping the pointers of pound and thunderbolt so that now pound looks like thunderbolt and vice versa. You could also point to a custom animation that you make.

3) You know how when you make a message in XSE? How you have to create an:

#org @msg
= Hey this is my message!
?

Well, just make that part in XSE and set the description pointer in Attack Editor to the location of @msg.

Thank you for the explanations, but I didn't understand these things:
1) If i reach the offset of an attack's animation, the animation itself ends immediately before the offset of the following attack?
2) I still don't understand how to change the animation.. The pointer shown in Attack Editor has 4 bytes and it doesn't end with 08. How can I find that animation pointer? How can I create a similar pointer with a custom attack?

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
Is possible use Cut or Surf Out of the fight even if you do not have the respective badge? Please answer, it is very important to me!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Is possible use Cut or Surf Out of the fight even if you do not have the respective badge? Please answer, it is very important to me!

When you use an hm move, the script checks for the appropriate badge flag before continuing. Remove this check and it will work like a charm.

Thank you for the explanations, but I didn't understand these things:
1) If i reach the offset of an attack's animation, the animation itself ends immediately before the offset of the following attack?
2) I still don't understand how to change the animation.. The pointer shown in Attack Editor has 4 bytes and it doesn't end with 08. How can I find that animation pointer? How can I create a similar pointer with a custom attack?

1)I would assume so. I have skimmed through Chaos Rush's attack animations and I didn't see anything about an end command or such.
2)That is because your .ini file does not have the appropriate line. Tell me what game you are using and I will tell you the line to add.

Once your ini is set up, build your own animation from Chaos Rush's tutorial. Then you can just change the pointer in PGE to go to the offset at which you placed said attack animation in your rom.

This seems like a basic question, but googling hasnt helped. How do you test specific maps? If I edit one map is there an easy way to jump to it for testing?

Thank! next question. I am trying to do two things at the moment.

1) to make it so all three legendary dogs are available in the wild as opposed to just the one correlating to your starter. can someone push me in the right direction regarding this as I am completely lost.

2)to make it so both forms of deoxy can be caught. The easiest being to just have the two deoxy come down side by side and battle you one after the other I guess? This scripting is also beyond me at the moment but I am trying to learn. Any pointers?

Thanks! This fixed it for me.

1)This is a fun topic. I'm going to tell you this, you have no control unless you know ASM. What releases the dogs is a special in the script when you place the ruby and sapphire in the machine on One Island. However, in JPAN's hacked engine, he included a way to create roaming Pokemon. Download v1.1 of his hack and look through the documentation for instructions.

2)I though the form was specific to the game... Let me look into this as the last time I thought about these forms was before I started hacking:p.

Edit: After a quick look an Serebii, this is the case. Deoxys forms are specific to the game and will change when traded to the sppropriate form in that game. So, unless you can figure out how to do form changes (Jambo51 did it, however it required 30-40 seperate ASM routines and he does NOT plan on releasing it anytime soon, so don't bug him, we want him to stay:p) you're stuck with a single form. Sorry.

Edit for 95gemello7:

Here is a quote from Chaos' tutorial, it tells how to find the end, I must have missed it:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
1)I would assume so. I have skimmed through Chaos Rush's attack animations and I didn't see anything about an end command or such.
2)That is because your .ini file does not have the appropriate line. Tell me what game you are using and I will tell you the line to add.

Once your ini is set up, build your own animation from Chaos Rush's tutorial. Then you can just change the pointer in PGE to go to the offset at which you placed said attack animation in your rom.

Edit for 95gemello7:

Here is a quote from Chaos' tutorial, it tells how to find the end, I must have missed it:

I'm using Fire Red v1.0 and I've just started to hack it... By the way thank you a lot for the help.
Another thing: I'm searching every single pointer of the corresponding attack and I found out that attacks' animation data aren't in the same order of their pointer... For example: "Pound" 's pointer is the first of the list, followed by "Karate Chop" 's pointer and then by "Doubleslap" 's. By the way, for now it seems that "Pound" 's animation data is followed by "Doubleslap" 's data and only after much it comes "Karate Chop" 's data.
I don't know if anybody knew this things (I'm "new" in this forum, if we can say so), but if it can be helpful and useful to somebody, I'm lining up attacks' animation data.
Well, I just hope that I'm doing a right work and not a stupid or wrong thing.

karatekid552

Years
I'm using Fire Red v1.0 and I've just started to hack it... By the way thank you a lot for the help.
Another thing: I'm searching every single pointer of the corresponding attack and I found out that attacks' animation data aren't in the same order of their pointer... For example: "Pound" 's pointer is the first of the list, followed by "Karate Chop" 's pointer and then by "Doubleslap" 's. By the way, for now it seems that "Pound" 's animation data is followed by "Doubleslap" 's data and only after much it comes "Karate Chop" 's data.
I don't know if anybody knew this things (I'm "new" in this forum, if we can say so), but if it can be helpful and useful to somebody, I'm lining up attacks' animation data.
Well, I just hope that I'm doing a right work and not a stupid or wrong thing.

So then it won't work the way I thought, oh well, at least Chaos left the instructions on how to do it.

Add this line to the end of the BPRE section in the .ini file:

AttackAnimationTable=&H1C68F4

edit: Remember that some attacks share animations, so if you want them all in order, you will have to copy and paste some of them.

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
Thanks karatekid :D But now i have another question to do...
Where can i find the script of surf? For the tree is simple to find it...

karatekid552

Years
Thanks karatekid :D But now i have another question to do...
Where can i find the script of surf? For the tree is simple to find it...

This is always fun:)
Steps:

1. Open up A-text and find the location of the first words of surf. (The water is dyed a deep blue or something like that).

2. Take the location it is at, and change it into a hex location.

3) Now, make a pointer out of it. (So, it it's location was 123456, you would make it 563412 and put a 08 on the end)

4) Open up a hex editor and search for that pointer (so search 56341208)

5) This pointer should only appear in the script of surf, so take the location of the pointer, and open XSE and go to it.

6) Now, continually subtract 1 from the location we are looking at until you see the entire script. (So, let's say our location was 023456, we would look at 023455, 023454, 023453, etc, until you see what appears to be the entire script.)

I am sure that there is an easier way, but this works.

karatekid552

Years
Im hacking pokemon emerald. How do i make a new evolution stone.

This is fun. I have done it, but it takes some work. If you are good at figuring things out, go to a post by JPAN and find his signature. Then, open up his work spoiler and click on items. Almost at the bottom of the first page of the thread, there is detailed information on item properties. It involves setting a specific byte. If you can't figure it out, I will write a tut for it, but I don't have time at this particular moment.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
is there a gba tool that lets you flip flags in a game sav... like a sav editor of sorts...

it would be a handy tool...

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2013
What about the testing question?

When you use an hm move, the script checks for the appropriate badge flag before continuing. Remove this check and it will work like a charm.

1)This is a fun topic. I'm going to tell you this, you have no control unless you know ASM. What releases the dogs is a special in the script when you place the ruby and sapphire in the machine on One Island. However, in JPAN's hacked engine, he included a way to create roaming Pokemon. Download v1.1 of his hack and look through the documentation for instructions.

2)I though the form was specific to the game... Let me look into this as the last time I thought about these forms was before I started hacking:p.

Edit: After a quick look an Serebii, this is the case. Deoxys forms are specific to the game and will change when traded to the sppropriate form in that game. So, unless you can figure out how to do form changes (Jambo51 did it, however it required 30-40 seperate ASM routines and he does NOT plan on releasing it anytime soon, so don't bug him, we want him to stay:p) you're stuck with a single form. Sorry.

Edit for 95gemello7:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024

I have to dissagree... if you want BOTH forms... simply add a second Deoxis to the game... in the other form... there are plenty of ways to add pokemon to the roster... and his stats and pic are already there...

I considered doing this for my hack...

after you beat the elite four you can go fight deosis again and catch his second form ;)
it would just take a flag check to decide which one you fight, and at the end of the second e4 fight have it check that flag...

id like it to alternate... every time you beat the e4 it swapps... thatd be a fun code.

by add, I mean add to the pokedex...

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
is there a gba tool that lets you flip flags in a game sav... like a sav editor of sorts...

it would be a handy tool...

From what I have heard, a save editor for gba is close to impossible because the save file is split up into 16 blocks and shifted around.

What about the testing question?

Testing question? I don't know what you are talking about... Sorry.

I have to dissagree... if you want BOTH forms... simply add a second Deoxis to the game... in the other form... there are plenty of ways to add pokemon to the roster... and his stats and pic are already there...

I considered doing this for my hack...

after you beat the elite four you can go fight deosis again and catch his second form ;)
it would just take a flag check to decide which one you fight, and at the end of the second e4 fight have it check that flag...

id like it to alternate... every time you beat the e4 it swapps... thatd be a fun code.

by add, I mean add to the pokedex...

That is a way of doing, but it isn't truly forms and you would have to remove another Pokemon from your game in order to add in said form. Unless you know how to extend the pokedex.....

For making both deoxys battle you, (this was a much earlier question I neglected) yes you could have them both come down and battle you. Just have two sprites hidden on screen, then show one, have it move in on you, battle, and disappear. Then do the same with the second one.

Last edited:

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
So then it won't work the way I thought, oh well, at least Chaos left the instructions on how to do it.

Add this line to the end of the BPRE section in the .ini file:

AttackAnimationTable=&H1C68F4

edit: Remember that some attacks share animations, so if you want them all in order, you will have to copy and paste some of them.

Thank you a lot for the line!! :)
About attacks' animations... I didn't know this thing... I supposed that every attack's animation was complete... Could you give me an example of one of these moves, please?

There's another problem...
I just tried to change "Pound" 's animation pointer with "Karate Chop" 's in Attack Editor, but it doesn't work... What am I supposed to do..? I tried to find the answer to this question in the forum, but I haven't found anything...
I'm sorry if I'm annoing you...

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Thank you a lot for the line!! :)
About attacks' animations... I didn't know this thing... I supposed that every attack's animation was complete... Could you give me an example of one of these moves, please?

There's another problem...
I just tried to change "Pound" 's animation pointer with "Karate Chop" 's in Attack Editor, but it doesn't work... What am I supposed to do..? I tried to find the answer to this question in the forum, but I haven't found anything...
I'm sorry if I'm annoing you...

I believe sky uppercut and seismic toss use the same animation. This is the only example I can think of.

Are they both pointers? I have done it with a hex editor before and it works fine, but since I learned of how to do it in PGE, I actually haven't tried it. Open up that same rom again and see if the changes you made are still there. You may have just neglected to save.

I will never be annoyed by an honest question:). As long as you don't ask me to do I for you, I am happy to answer any question!;p

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
I believe sky uppercut and seismic toss use the same animation. This is the only example I can think of.

Are they both pointers? I have done it with a hex editor before and it works fine, but since I learned of how to do it in PGE, I actually haven't tried it. Open up that same rom again and see if the changes you made are still there. You may have just neglected to save.

I will never be annoyed by an honest question:). As long as you don't ask me to do I for you, I am happy to answer any question!;p

Do you mean the same background?

Well, I think that they aren't exactly pointers, 'cause pound's pointer is 346F1C08, but in Attack Editor it is typed as 1C6F34... By the way, i replaced this pound's "pointer" with karate chop's pointer (1CFCEA), but when I opened the game to see the change, pound still had its originally animation... Nothing changed... As you said I checked and changes was still there... I'm just at the beginning and this hack is already making me crazy!

Thank you, for real! :) I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but I just want to learn step by step how to do decently an hack! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back