• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Zelda fans?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm totally digging an open-world free-form just-dick-around-if-you-want-shenanigans in a Zelda game. If you can't kill NPCs, I certainly hope you can at least do things that give them a hard time. XD

Well, The only NPC in the Demo tenses up when you pull out a bomb, but they didn't try to blow up him up. (I would... And probably kill myself in the process.)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Running around naked could be useful in hotter areas, since the temperature system damages you when you are too cold, I'm sure there is a hot damage variant too (but I haven't seen it yet in the stream).

Also they climbed a mountain shirtless just because (It totally wasn't to see him shirtless, no).

It's a risk they're willing to take for challenge purposes. The demo did show us you can move around the campfire in the snowy region while shirtless, and you can consume food that gives you immunity to freezing to death for a limited time.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I feel like Zelda is becoming more mature now! I. FREACKING. LOVE. ALL. OF. THIS. TRAILER.

I can't describe how I feel today. It's such a feeling of hopes and joy, from Zelda and Pokemon!

For the timeline, I like the idea of the fallen hero/adult line. But I saw some theory about this game being after Twllight Princess, which can fit in too. I've heard rumors about Nintendo ditching the timeline, but all of the hint in there prove the contrary!

I mean, the old man, the Goddess statue from Skyward Sword, Time Temple, The Master Sword (in bad shape!), and I can go on and on...
    As for the Master Sword, I have a feeling that we have to find a place/a thing where we can restore the sword and beat Ganon(dorf).

Have you seen the video of the wolf Link amiibo? So glad I have it :3

The only things I don't like are:
    1. No more hearts. They are a part of Zelda, it's gonna be weird without them.
    2. We have to hunt for food... I don't want to kill animals. That's the one thing I don't wanna do in a game...

Oh and have you seen about the armore? I've heard it's the same as the Hero's spirit in Twillight!

GUYS GUYS DID YOU SEE HOW THE MASTER SWORD IN THE LOGO WAS ALL RUSTED? THEN THERE WAS THE SETUP, WHICH DOESN'T GIVE YOU MUCH SETUP AND JUST HAS YOU GO AND SETS YOU UP IN THIS WIDE, OPEN WORLD! I DUNNO HOW MANY OF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS BUT THIS GAME IS TOTALLY SET IN THE "HERO FAILS" TIMELINE AFTER THE FALL OF HYRULE AND PROBABLY THE FIRST AND SECOND GAMES GUYS. OOOOH I'M GIDDY AS HELL RIGHT NOW, AND NOBODY EVEN CARES ABOUT TIMELINES ON HERE BUT FOR ME IT'S HNNNNG

Ok soo....
    I TOTALLY CARE ABUT THE TIMELINE, IT'S THE BEST THING FROM ZELDA, IT'S THE UNIQUENESS OF THIS SERIE! I'LL CRY IF THEY ABANDN IT! it only need to be write in a better way. Can we have, like, a book with all the stories together pls? :3

That's the part I was more excited about and I couldn't wait one more day: to figure out where it is in the timeline.
    It would be nice if the game was build in a way it could be place at the end of both timeline. They could become one after this.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh and have you seen about the armore? I've heard it's the same as the Hero's spirit in Twillight!

What armor is this? I thought the Hero's Shade was the Hero of Time.

I don't mind the lack of heart drops because RNG hates me and never drops hearts when I need 'em because this allows the whole forage for stuff to regain health take center stage (and I like the cooking. the trial & error part reminds me of how I play Harvest Moon because screw recipes.)
    And It's entirely possible to go without hunting, just collecting various plants, but you'll probably need to cook them to get the benefits.

pkmin3033

...so I'm the only person who didn't like the look of it? Who gets that ominous feeling that Nintendo are going to innovate for the sake of innovating again and by doing so irrevocably screw up one of their most loved series? I mean, look at what it did to Skyward Sword.

Maybe it's just my natural prejudice against open world titles - which typically turn out to be a directionless mess, with the "do what you want" mentality taking over in favour of actual structured gameplay - but honestly I wasn't all that impressed by any of it. The voice acting is setting off alarm bells, too...look at how that worked out for Metroid. I'm getting strong "change for change's sake" vibes from this.

Which I suppose everyone is going to disagree with, but hey, it's E3.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • ...so I'm the only person who didn't like the look of it? Who gets that ominous feeling that Nintendo are going to innovate for the sake of innovating again and by doing so irrevocably screw up one of their most loved series? I mean, look at what it did to Skyward Sword.

Maybe it's just my natural prejudice against open world titles - which typically turn out to be a directionless mess, with the "do what you want" mentality taking over in favour of actual structured gameplay - but honestly I wasn't all that impressed by any of it. The voice acting is setting off alarm bells, too...look at how that worked out for Metroid. I'm getting strong "change for change's sake" vibes from this.

Which I suppose everyone is going to disagree with, but hey, it's E3.

So you rather have long-running franchises stay the way they are just to make you happy rather than evolving to keep itself from getting stale? Either that or the Zelda cycle is already starting to affect you.

pkmin3033

So you rather have long-running franchises stay the way they are just to make you happy rather than evolving to keep itself from getting stale? Either that or the Zelda cycle is already starting to affect you.
    No, I'd rather have meaningful change. I'm as anti-OOT formula as they come, but I don't think swapping that for a directionless open world that lets you do whatever for the sake of letting you do whatever is necessarily this big step up that people seem to be assuming that it is. I've seen nothing to get excited over.

Maybe it will be better than I expect it to be, but in my opinion Nintendo's attempts to evolve their franchises tend to be forced and awkward. When you have games like Skyward Sword, Other M, and most recently, Star Fox Zero, floating around you tend to wonder. Or at least, I do. I'm sorry I can't go on blind faith like everyone else that all change is good. Especially not with Nintendo, who haven't advanced a single one of their franchises in any meaningful way since the leap from 2D to 3D on home consoles...and I would argue that their advancements weren't necessarily for the better either.

I want something a little more substantial than what is being shown. I don't want to replay Ocarina of Time under a different name for the sixth or seventh time, but I don't really want to play a Zelda version of Skyrim either. I'd like something that meaningfully evolves the franchise into something more enjoyable; something in the same spirit as Metroid Prime, which took Metroid in a fresh new direction. I don't think this will be it; I think this will just be Ocarina of Time again in a larger world that lets you do a bunch of things which might make the experience feel more immersive on the surface, but will in reality no way contribute towards the actual gameplay. It's as simple as that. I don't see how keeping me happy enters the picture when I've been generally discontent with the way Nintendo has handled their major franchises - not just Zelda - for quite some time now.

I have no idea what this "Zelda cycle" is and it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on my opinions. It doesn't affect me or anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

I also find it funny, Mel, how much you're against this direction they're trying to take when you claim you're "as anti-OoT formula as they come."

Nintendo is doing with this game what they did with A Link Between Worlds: giving it an open-world non-linear style of gameplay that's been missing since the first two Zelda games, but with a lot more complexity and cues from modern game than what was done back in the late '80s. It throwbacks to Zelda 1, where you're dumped in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the clothes on your back, can travel anywhere you want at any time, and have to take weapons and gear where you can find them since it's dangerous to go alone. Not only that, people have been on board with a Zelda RPG for a while now and this is the closest we're getting to it in ages. If it doesn't look interesting to you, then don't play it. Go back to Skyward Sword (which I didn't like all that much, btw). As for me, this is the most excited I've been for a Zelda title since Twilight Princess and hopefully it won't be as much of a disappointment. Keep in mind, this is just a demo of what they've got so far. They're releasing this game in 2017, there's still plenty of time to do more with what they have. That's probably the reason why it got delayed; it's the same reason they took their sweet time with Ocarina Of Time.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Spoiler:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sir Codin

What's it supposed to be? The image is broken.

Fix'd:
    Spoiler:

Don't really know what to think of it, but it's clear OP stretched the bottom image and took only from the demo showing a different part of the game world than what was shown in E3 2014. Still doesn't justify a graphics downgrade if there was one.

pkmin3033

Well, cutting edge hardware is hardly what Nintendo is known for, is it? They've always been a step behind in terms of processing power, and I suspect the game is being held back by being on the Wii U as well as the NX, which (I hope) will be capable of a more impressive performance graphically.

The bottom screen reminds me a bit of NieR.

Sir Codin

I'd say ignore it entirely. The thing was made as a shitpost anyway. Watch the trailer, the game looks gorgeous and shows many great things.

pkmin3033

Games always look better in motion and, despite my misgivings, I will freely admit it looks very impressive in motion, and it seems a logical step forward from Skyward Sword's graphics, which were a nice compromise between Twilight Princess' realism and Wind Waker's cartoony cel-shaded style. It actually reminds me of the more recent Tales titles a little.

That's not a very flattering comparison regardless, though.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • If Breath of the Wild was the sole reason to buy an NX, I'd still do it. I don't care if it won't have superior graphics to the Wii U/PS4/Xbox 1, I've never been bothered by graphics except for those weird 8-bit games. My only complaint for this game would be that I hope it's not too open world, otherwise it can get kinda nerve wracking trying to figure out what to do.

User Anon 1848

My only concern is how many weapons will be breakable. I just watched the first segment of gameplay from E3 but I believe they said that all weapons can break? I'm hoping that doesn't apply to the more important and effective weapons. Total newb to the series btw. Only played Ocarina of Time.

Sir Codin

I think they might give you the ability to repair weapons, like at a blacksmith or with some collectible item.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I think they might give you the ability to repair weapons, like at a blacksmith or with some collectible item.

I think like this too. If not, well what happen if you s*ck at video games like me and you break all your weapons? XD
    I kinda see the return of the upgrades and repairs from Skyward Sword (which was a pretty great game in my opinion).

As for the pictures showed by CarcharOdin, I find the E3 2016 pretty bad... But when I saw the game in motion I just loved it... Something feel weird for me in this picture...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, you can collect items that you can't eat like the Ancient Spring and Ancient Screw, so there's probably an NPC that can craft or repair items, or a way Link can do it himself at special spots (like cooking at a cooking pot).

Edit: I wish I found this gif earlier.
    tumblr_o8vgzbMOdp1u591fzo1_500.gif

Source

Last edited:
    Back