• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pros and Cons of Trading in X and Y

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
It's really nice that you can trade without going back to the PC anymore. Problems, the 100 friend limit, and I noticed that you can't detect local friends not connected to wifi when you're connected to wifi.

Elements1

Meh
Years
I think wonder trade should be divided into tiers. Pokemon, based on power, evolution, legendary would be on certain tiers. Ex: A Weedle would be in tier 6, a Metagross tier 3, a Latios in tier 2 and a Dexoys in tier 1. So the Weedle, Metagross, Latios and Dexoys could only be wonder traded for the same pokemon of that tier.

Maybe have a shiny wonder trade? Or a shiny tier?

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
GAH! HATE the 100 friends limit! >.<
And now that Bank AND Powersave are out, we can hack Pokemon again, so.. D8

I think wonder trade should be divided into tiers. Pokemon, based on power, evolution, legendary would be on certain tiers. Ex: A Weedle would be in tier 6, a Metagross tier 3, a Latios in tier 2 and a Dexoys in tier 1. So the Weedle, Metagross, Latios and Dexoys could only be wonder traded for the same pokemon of that tier.

Maybe have a shiny wonder trade? Or a shiny tier?

If they did that, it wouldn't be much of a roulette, now would it? That's kinda the whole point of it.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I love trading in XY. The biggest change I want is to be able to play the game while using game Chat only. Maybe that's just residual from always talking on Skype while gaming/streaming though.

The only other issues I have are no reverse trade searches on GTS like others have mentioned and no information about the Pokémon. I can't describe my Pokémon in an excessively short message. Give a pop up window to check the IV, Nature, Ability, EV etc. These would make a large improvement.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
The only thing I don't like about trading in X and Y is not being able to cancel a trade by yourself, having to wait until the other end agrees to finish the trade. Besides that, I've found trading in X and Y a great improvement from past generations. I like it a lot. Good job gamefreak.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
The only thing I don't like about trading in X and Y is not being able to cancel a trade by yourself, having to wait until the other end agrees to finish the trade. Besides that, I've found trading in X and Y a great improvement from past generations. I like it a lot. Good job gamefreak.
I forgot about this. This would be nice. I hate being stuck in an offer and the other person just keeps flashing stuff. Not knowing if they are offering something and are stuck, or pretty much what is going on.

Years
I know those feels about ending a trade. I've actually had to close my 3ds on several passerby trades because they don't get the clue.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I have also had to turn off my 3DS when trading with passerbys too. It is really annoying and I always forget to nickname the pokemon with special messages. I guess it would help a lot.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
Overall, I think the XY Trade System is fantastic, very little wait compared to the past. Plus you can trade with friends from anywhere, like you guys. ^^ Only thing about the "Trading" itself, not involving the limit to FC's and such, is not being able to see other details on a Pokemon you are trading for. It would be really nice to see the Nature/Ability at the very least.

Jack

ego
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2020
Everything is pretty good; I just want to be able to trade with 5th generation tho):

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
Years
I was never really that fond of the DS era trade system.. It kind of seemed a bit tedious. You had to go into the pokecenter, had to talk to some NPC, save the game.. go into some forbidden dark room and sit at a control booth.. and then only have 6 trade options with a bunch of chodes asking for lvl 100 Darkrai or something. I couldn't use it unless I was the one making the deposit.. and then it would just sit there for weeks sometimes depending what I'm trading out.. if I don't decide to just give up on it entirely.

These days, I can sling out dozens of Trades a day. I'm SO glad you have pretty much as many options to choose from as you could want.. 10, 12 a set. I do wish the PSS had better communication options though. But the minute you give the people a megaphone like that is when it starts to become like an actual MMO.. and I think Nintendo would prefer to keep it extremely minimal to avoid kids getting exposed to "inappropriate behavior" if you follow me.. which would give Pokemon a potential Teen rating.. Sigh... this is why we can't have nice things... Still it would be a nice feature to actually say "Hey, this is what I got if anyone's interested". Thats really my only nitpick. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's a system that actually works more or less the way it should.

One thing I wish they did implement is like reverse trading.. like, say you have a Pikachu and you want to see what trades are asking for Pikachu.. which would save you time, rather than going through endless cycles of trades.

Yes! I agree; that would be incredibly useful.
---
I also want them to re-add the heart/smiley face, etc. when trading with someone like the trade notification thing in gen V. I have to use Skorupi and give them nicknames like "No thanks" etc. Sometimes people don't see that, or when I'm trading with a foreigner... :/
Oh yeah, quitting a trade by yourself would be handy too. I should catch another Skorupi and name it "Bye!!!" or something of the like.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Loving the trade system in X and Y; compared to previous gens, it's much less of a hassle. :) One thing they could've done, though, is make a better way of communication. I know that you could talk with whoever you're trading with on the mic (well, if they accept to chat, of course), but that could be a little annoying at times.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Frankly the only things I miss from past gens are the ability to communicate silently using the happy face, sad face, exclamation, and heart symbols. It was a great way to tell someone you didn't want what they were offering or let them know you screwed something up.

Years
As it may or may not have been said, I do like how the PSS shows which of your friends are online and which aren't, so you don't have to wait in the waiting room for them to show up like you did in the DS era games. And you can "Nice!" them if you're satisfied, which is cute.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
I can name a HUGE con.

With the exception of Xerneas and Yveltal, legendary Pokémon cannot be traded whatsoever.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2016
Pros: looking for passersby for possible trades and battles is pretty fun, sometimes you can get a pretty good deal out of it.
Cons: Why do you allow us to ask for event pokemon when they arent tradeable through the GTS in the first place? Just not allowing for the event pokemon and/or impossible level/legendary combination to be requested would solve any and all GTS problems.

Back