• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Internal Battery Dead or Alive

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Alright so tell me if anyone of you have Pokemon gens 1 or 2 games that have an alive or dead internal battery.
    I'll go first-
    Pokemon Blue- Alive.
    Pokemon Yellow- Alive.
    Pokemon Gold- Dead.
    Pokemon Silver- Dead.
    Also I would like to point out that I most likely am going to have to see a professional because I keep using the electrical tape method and the only times it will save are when I am holding the game boy but if I put it on a hard surface or remove the game cartridge then it erases again. Also if anyone else has a problem with replacing the battery then you can say it in this thread as well.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • Pokemon Blue - Alive
    Pokemon Red - Dead (Completed Pokedex, ofc this one dies)
    POkemon Yellow - Alive
    Pokemon Gold - Dead (My main game and lost 6 shinys excluding shiny gyarados and had most of the pokedex)
    Pokemon Silver - Alive
    Pokemon Crystal - Alive

I've practically given up on my gb/gbc games now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Pokemon Blue - Alive
    Pokemon Red - Dead (Completed Pokedex, ofc this one dies)
    POkemon Yellow - Alive
    Pokemon Gold - Dead (My main game and lost 6 shinys excluding shiny gyarados and had most of the pokedex)
    Pokemon Silver - Alive
    Pokemon Crystal - Alive

I've practically given up on my gb/gbc games now.
    Open up the cartridge using security screwdriver which can v=be found at a hardware store and do this-
    1 Open cartridge.
    2 Carefully remove the old battery from the tabs.
    3 Place CR2025 or DL2025 coin battery in between the tabs and use electrical tape and make sure that the battery does not move by putting in as many as you need.
    4 Put the cartridge back together and hope that it works.
    5 I also recommend that you use the 3 tests method.
    Test 1- Turn it off and power it on again while holding the Gameboy.
    Test 2 - Turn it off and power it on again after the Gameboy has been placed on a hard surface.
    Test 3- Turn it off and remove the cartridge and place it back inside the Gameboy and see if it works.
    If neither of these tests work then try it again or just simply take it to a professional and have them fix it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Re: the battery replacement problems, I would probably just solder a tabbed battery at this point, or get a professional to solder it for you. A professional probably would have no issues soldering it into place. But if you don't want to go with that approach, wedge something on top of and around the battery so it doesn't have room to slide in the cartridge.

I haven't checked a couple of these in a while, and i don't have the games with me, but as of earlier this summer, my record was as follows:
    Red: Alive
    Blue: Beyond repair (the battery may or may not be ok, but I get "Angry Oak" with a Gastly cry and a game freeze every time I try to start a new file, and the text won't load. Have seen a couple other reports about this issue recently, but haven't seen any fixes. Think the game started acting up 9 or 10 years ago. Anyone else have this problem?)
    Yellow: Alive
    Gold: Dead (Since '06)
    Silver: Dead (Since '09?)
    Crystal: Dead (Started dying in '07, but I think it hung on for a while; can't remember when it finally bit the dust)

I bought some replacement tabbed batteries in '10, but haven't gotten around to inserting them yet. Don't know what shape they're in, or if I'll ever get around to inserting them or not.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My Blue, Green, Yellow, French Silver, English Silver, and English Crystal all have working batteries. My Red, Gold, and Japanese Crystal don't. My Red actually died like...right after I played it one day. I was playing it a bit this summer and I turned it off, but then freaked out thinking I didn't save (this is sadly a common occurrence with me lol) and when the load screen came up, I had the option for a new game. I had literally just played it on its last leg. :( My Gold died some time this year, I believe. And then my Japanese Crystal was dead when it got here, haha. I mainly wanted to get it because it was CIB, so I have the pretty box. But I'll get the battery replaced regardless.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My Crystal's save file was a bit unstable since 5-6 years ago. I forgot what exactly happened, I just recall it was broken as in it was split into two. So it's officially dead.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    All of my Gen II games have had their internal batteries run dry, but I've been able to replace them all. My RBY games are still good as new, too.

Years
  • My blue and both the copies of yellow here still have their batteries working...I've checked recently! I even restarted one of those yellows like a month ago, was worried that maybe it wouldn't save considering how old it is but it seems to still be working so far. Not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised, even if I am still expecting something to happen as I keep on playing it.

Oh hey, there's a copy of red here as well. Quick status check of that seems to be: alive. Well then.

All the copies of gold and silver here, though, all four of them (two of each)? Very dead. I know one of the golds has been dead since at least last year, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it died long before then...but yeah. Makes me sad, I guess I could replace the batteries but I don't know if it's worth the effort right now.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    My Gold and Silver are both dead. They've been dead for a while, but I don't really have any interest in resuscitating them. They can't transfer up, and I've found myself bored with the older games since I played them so many times in the past. And even more bored after playing Vietnamese Crystal. Rest in peace, Gen II, you were good for countless hours of entertainment.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I have absolutely no idea, actually.
    I know Gold doesn't save anymore, because it already didn't save when I got it, but I don't know about the others.

Might have to check.

Also Gen. II are gonna die faster, because they gotta keep a clock running while also keeping the save file, while Gen. I only has to keep a save file. :p

Edit: Just checked all my Gen. I-II games right now.

Gold doesn't save, as I already knew.
    Crystal still holds a save, apparently.

Red still holds a save, still had a save on it when I loaded it.
    Green still saves.
    Blue still saves as well.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    • Red - Dead
    • Blue - Alive
    • Yellow - Dead
    • Gold - Dead
    • Silver - Dead
    • Crystal - Dead

Blue and Silver were my main games, and they were backed up significantly on a myriad of mediums. Once I work up the courage to replace the battery, I plan on doing so and putting the saves back on the carts, if only for nostalgia purposes.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • All of my GBC games are alive and fully functional. I don't play them anymore so I'm sure that's somewhat preventing their gradual degradation.

Back