• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New HeartGold Team

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
  • Well, my HG game randomly got deleted, so I've decided to start a new playthrough. Thankfully, I do have access to the Battle Tower and Breeding abilities in SoulSliver, so getting egg/move tutor moves isn't a problem. I can also trade from Platinum as well.

=========================================================

Meganium @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    - Petal Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Synthesis
    - Strength

My starter and my physical tank. Petal Dance for STAB and Earthquake for all around power. Synthesis heals off Life Orb recoil, and Strength for HM purposes.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fly

My Charmander I bred in SoulSliver has HP Grass of 70, so that's really nice. Flamethrower for STAB, HP Grass and Dragon Pulse for coverage. I don't really have a fourth move so Fly is in there for easy traveling. Choice Specs found at the Lake of Rage can help me boost my main attacks.

Ampharos @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunder Wave
    - Attract

My special tank and support Pokemon. Thunderbolt is Obvious STAB and Thunder Wave for instant status. Attract can help to make battles easier. My Hidden Power is in fact Ice with a Base Power of 66, so I use that with Thunderbolt for offensive coverage. Leftovers traded from SoulSliver restores health.

Gyarados @ Muscle Band
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang

Shiny Gyarados FTW!!! STAB Waterfall and Earthquake are must have's, and even though it's slightly inaccurate, Ice Fang comes in handy in the final gym. Muscle Band, which is given to you by your mom, gives my attacks a power boost.

Scizor @ King's Rock
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 10 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Smash

Bulky-Offensive Scizor rocks!! Bullet Punch for Priority, and X-Scissor for additional STAB. Rock Smash boosted by technician is actually pretty decent in-game, especially with a Swords Dance boost. A lucky flinch from King's Rock can be helpful as well.

Mew @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Psychic
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Cut/Rock Climb/Whirlpool

I still have Mews from the Mew event in Platinum and SoulSliver that I haven't used, so this one is being included here. STAB Psychic, Surf, and Ice Beam give decent coverage, and the final slot is used for HMs that I can replace as necessary. Choice Scarf bought via your mom gives Mew a Speed boost.

=========================================================

Well, that's it. Like I said, I can breed, have access to move tutors and all HMs, so I can do really any combination of moves. Keep in mind I am EV training, so I included those as well.

Last edited:

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    nice overall team. heres what i would change if i had to change anything.
    scizor for togekiss.
    togekiss w/ kingsrock
    evs 252 hp/252 spe/4 def
    timid nature
    moves:
    thunder wave
    air slash
    aura sphere
    extrasensory/roost

and ampharos for electivire.
    electivire w/ expertbelt or life orb
    adamant nature
    EVs: 4 hp/ 252att/ 252 spe
    moves:
    crosschop
    fire punch
    ice punch
    thunder punch

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • nice overall team. heres what i would change if i had to change anything.
    scizor for togekiss.
    togekiss w/ kingsrock
    evs 252 hp/252 spe/4 def
    timid nature
    moves:
    thunder wave
    air slash
    aura sphere
    extrasensory/roost

and ampharos for electivire.
    electivire w/ expertbelt or life orb
    adamant nature
    EVs: 4 hp/ 252att/ 252 spe
    moves:
    crosschop
    fire punch
    ice punch
    thunder punch

I'd rather not use Togekiss and Electrivire. I already have 5/6 of my team and all I need is Gyarados, so I'm not looking to change actual Pokemon at this point. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Gotta admit, I like this a lot.

I'd consider replacing Petal Dance for Giga Drain on Meganuim though.

I did consider Giga Drain, but Petal Dance has 90 Base Power + STAB, so it should OHKO most things before I need to switch out from confusion.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Oh I see then, I'd suggest something like switching to an Adamant nature in Meganium's case but personally I think that's a bit too much hassle there considering you'd have to raise a new one from scratch in that case.

Also forgot to mention I really liked the idea of a Jolly Gyarados as well.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Oh I see then, I'd suggest something like switching to an Adamant nature in Meganium's case but personally I think that's a bit too much hassle there considering you'd have to raise a new one from scratch in that case.

That, plus Adamant will weaken Petal Dance, since Petal Dance is a Special attack.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Thought Petal Dance was a physical attack there TBH but oh well lol.

Not much else I can suggest right now to be honest but how did you get your Hidden Power moves to be over 60 base power though?

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • how did you get your Hidden Power moves to be over 60 base power though?

I used an AR ;)

Really, though. For Mareep, I kept on catching them and checking my IVs with the "IV/EV Checker" code and using an HP Calculator when looking at my IVs.

For Charmander, I bred until I got 31 IVs in most stats and passing down the required IVs with the power items, and checking my IVs with the AR.

That "IV/EV Checker" code is the ONLY AR Code I use in my Pokemon games. It also makes keeping track of your EV training so much easier. I do use breeding codes to speed up the breeding process on occasion as well. But that's it. Everything else I don't cheat on.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Damn, that must have taken a while to accomplish then lol.

Have you used this team against any of the Frontier Brains yet by the way?

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years

• Oh yeah, have you considered Fire Blast/Thunderbolt for Mew at all?

Not really. I don't like Fire Blast's inaccuracy, and it's so hard to get Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower TMs in-game. Even buying them in Platinum and trading them over takes time. And then I run out of money in Plat...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Eh, good point there.

Oh, maybe Bug Bite over X-Scissor? Bite does get the Technician boost which should make it a tad stronger than Scissor if I remember correctly.

(I swear this will be the last suggestion lol.)

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Eh, good point there.

Oh, maybe Bug Bite over X-Scissor? Bite does get the Technician boost which should make it a tad stronger than Scissor if I remember correctly.

(I swear this will be the last suggestion lol.)

I will do Bug Bite. You're right on it being stronger. STAB + Technician makes Bug Bite 135 Base Power, while only a STAB boost makes X-Scissor 120 Base Bower.

And don't worry about making so many suggestions. Any input is good input (Unless it's blatantly stupid, like Blizzard on Gyarados).

My Battle Tower team is up, btw.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Haha I tried Blizzard on Gyara back in 3rd gen, didn't work out as well as I thought but still not as bad as Focus Punch on Slaking though lol. (No I did not try that one.)

I was also going to suggest running a mixed set on Charizard until I saw the Modest nature, have you considered Overheat at all for a surprise kill though?

(Sorry but that one just came to my head.)

Just saw the BT team, looks really good.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years

• I was also going to suggest running a mixed set on Charizard until I saw the Modest nature, have you considered Overheat at all for a surprise kill though?

I don't like the SpAtk drop on Overheat. Even with Choice Specs, there is a pretty noticeable drop in power. It's also just plain not needed. My 3 main attacks cover things pretty well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I was thinking more along the lines of replacing Flamethrower with Overheat but your point's understandable as well.

Just out of curiosity though, what moves would you use in place of the HM moves (Excluding Surf.) if you were planning to use this team on wi-fi for example?

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years

• Just out of curiosity though, what moves would you use in place of the HM moves (Excluding Surf.) if you were planning to use this team on wi-fi for example?

Let's see...

I'd probably make Meganium into a Dual Screener with Reflect, Light Screen, Earthquake, and Giga Drain with Light Clay as the Item.

Ampharos will stay as is.

Gyarados will stay as is, only having Leftovers over Muscle Band.

Fly on Charizard will probably be replaced with Air Slash or Focus Blast.

Scizor's Rock Smash would be replaced with Superpower.

And Mew would have Nasty Plot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Aura Sphere and have the Life Orb over Choice Scarf.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I was gonna suggest Focus Blast on Charizard but I didn't think you would like that very much due to accuracy issues.

Wouldn't Superpower be more effective on a Choice Band/Scarf set though due to the stat drop after using the said move.

Back