• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Game was Great but....

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
  • While I did find the game a bit easy, the hostility isn't necessary. I still had fun and that's all that matters in my book. Besides, playing against friends or online is a real challenge; LOVE those battles(even though I lose a lot). If you absolutely CANNOT accept these games or have fun with them just because of their difficulty, then go find a different game. I recommend stacking up a few challenges or something, but spitting on these games because you can't handle the fact that they're not anchored to your age group or hardcore gamers is a bit dumb...

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • I shouldn't have to conform my play style to make a game challenging. This would all be solved with two difficulty modes. Everyone should be for a normal and a challenge mode. Everybody's happy, and no one is negatively affected.

Also, telling people to go to a different game series is just dumb. First of all there's no other series like Pokemon. Secondly you're pushing customers away. People complain because they want something to be better, not because they don't like it.

I feel that Nintendo, with the Pokemon series in particular, panders to the Japanese audience. That's all well and good, but that's not why they're relevant. They're relevant because of the western audience. The west is where the big money lies. I hope Nintendo makes better decisions with the series going forward.

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    the only time i actually had a fun challenge at all for ingame pokemon was by playing a black2 hack challenge mode NUZLOCKE where all the gym leaders/elite4 have full 6 pokemon all with strong moves that can easily rape your pokemon if you just mindlessly bring out a grinded starter and don't plan ahead. When your mon just "die" off one by one and you can't use them again, then you know what hard is. (And even then the AI is still exploitable and unchanged.) It was still a nice change away from the utter lack of challenge any of the vanilla games could offer.

Is it seriously THAT hard for GF to just implement a challenge mode that says, take away exp share and give opponents stronger mons/movesets? Other than the new features this gen is quite disappointing actually, even graphics has its flaws

Years
  • the only time i actually had a fun challenge at all for ingame pokemon was by playing a black2 hack challenge mode NUZLOCKE where all the gym leaders/elite4 have full 6 pokemon all with strong moves that can easily rape your pokemon if you just mindlessly bring out a grinded starter and don't plan ahead. When your mon just "die" off one by one and you can't use them again, then you know what hard is. (And even then the AI is still exploitable and unchanged.) It was still a nice change away from the utter lack of challenge any of the vanilla games could offer.

Is it seriously THAT hard for GF to just implement a challenge mode that says, take away exp share and give opponents stronger mons/movesets? Other than the new features this gen is quite disappointing actually, even graphics has its flaws

It is that hard because you have people like the guys who think this game is better off being a Super Easy Game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    A lot of my friends had problems with EXP share but refused to turn it off and complained about it instead because the challenge would be too great without it. the game was scaled up into higher levels than previous ones, so it had more of a "challenge" but also strong means of takingon this challenge

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • I just started and I am loving it so far.
    A bit disappointed that I can't get pokemon such as Totodile though...

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    well they have their opinions and i respect that, but there is nothing wrong with simply putting in a challenge mode to please those looking for some form of difficulty. But GF didn't even done that. Hopefully in Z version or whatever it will be called...

A lot of my friends had problems with EXP share but refused to turn it off and complained about it instead because the challenge would be too great without it. the game was scaled up into higher levels than previous ones, so it had more of a "challenge" but also strong means of takingon this challenge

not really. without using exp share its still very possible to beat the game without any trouble if you don't run from wild encounters and beat every trainer you see. (which is what most people i see do, especially those streamers online) Oh and don't use 6 pokemon, 4 or 5 minimise grinding.

im the kind that like to swap around pokemon often to evenly train them and the exp share is actually annoying for that

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    WAY too easy. I didn't even use a revive the whole game and it was rare if any of my pokemon died. I remember the good old days where I went into the pokemon league 10+ levels down stocked with revives and potions and barely scraping through. Diamond had the last challenge. I didn't grind once and my whole team was 75+ before the pokemon league in X. I smoked the E4 and now there is really nothing else to do because they also neglected a decent post game. I am pretty disappointed with this installment.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • You guys have a one track mind and aren't even trying to listen, so I won't say much more.

Anyways, the challenge you are waiting for is over a year away with Pokemon Z. Like with Emerald, Platinum and B2/W2 the levels will be higher, changes will be made to teams and gyms, E4, etc, and perhaps they'll even bring back easy/challenge mode.

Also, to make such an expansive game with full 3D battles with over 700 Pokemon, they did very well in grahpics. But neither of you are critics or seem to know anything about game design, so I shouldn't really care how you view this game. One this is for certain, Game Freak is making money and the other 99-ish% of people who bought the game are welcoming this generation and have high opinions of this game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    I remember the good old days where I went into the pokemon league 10+ levels down stocked with revives and potions and barely scraping through.
    You know what's funny, I did the exact same thing with Pokémon Y. I beat the champion with a Mawile with only a few hit points left and no other pokémon in my team. I used a few dozen revives and full restores, but I made it.

And I used the EXP Share for most of the game.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Well, I do agree with the people here saying the Pokemon games have a different effect on anyone, everybody shares other experiences and memories about these games.

Yes, some aspects may be simple, but as a "Pokemon Veteran" myself (I have played every Pokemon game in a time span of +- 12 years now), I also think the "new generation" players should have a chance experiencing the same thrills as we did back in the day when Pokemon was first revealed. Younger players who don't have the experience should be able to play the game in the same way we did. I don't mind some aspects in the game being "too simple", there still is alot to do for the more mature audience (still calculating your IV's, advanced breeding, shiny hunting..)!

It was a fun aspect that there was a "difficulty mode" in the previous B2/W2 series, but the main story is still the same (catching and collecting Pokemon), so most gamers won't even bother the somewhat simple aspects in these games (they have been around for almost 15 years, barely changed). So every serious Pokemon gamer would know..

Besides, I think there is alot more to offer in Pokemon X/Y if you compare this game with Pokemon series like D/P/Pt. If you think it is simple or you're looking for new
    challenges in the game, there is still alot of efford made to do so (like a team consisting of one single type in stead of using double-type, use more strategy in your attacks by use of more attacks like Growl, Reflect and so on in stead of "damage, damage, damage, effective practicing in shiny hunting, breeding the best offspring..).

Still, Nintendo and GF did their very best to design a game like this, in my opinion for the younger audience, but the more mature audience too (I was thrilled to get this game and I haven't stop playing since). I think this game is great, and still think there are enough challenges in the game (higher LV, other type matchups, new attacks..). I also agree with the fact that IF Nintendo and GF do change the plot of Pokemon, they will lose alot of audience (especially the ones who grw up with the games).

So leave it to the professionals of game creation ^-^ a true PokeFan won't mind ;)

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    Even without the exp share the game is easy. the gym leaders just don't carry the intimidation they used too. the 1st gym is bug the weakest type at low levels, 2nd is rock... he has 2 pokemon easily sweeped with grass, water,ice, fighting. 3rd gym has hawlucha which can be pretty scary but still manageable with a flying or electric. (btw why didnt she use lucario in the battle!) 4th is nothing special...grass with alot of ways to sweep it. 5th isnt even worth mentioning. the fairy is only hard if you have an all dark, fighting, ghost team. 7th is push over. 8th gym....i loved the leader, loved the type but wow easier then any other 8th gym.

The E4 only has 4 pokemon each and i assumed they would pump up the AI's but no they just tried to spike the levels, they can all easily be taken out with the opposite type. The champion is decent but come on, a movie star champion? >.> i miss Lance/Steven

This game is great for a new/ extremely casual player but for anyone who has even a moderate amount of skill/knowledge of Pokemon will be left with the hunger for a true challenge. Also, maybe its just me but anytime i try and battle random people they are all from Japan or various Asian countries, same with my passers. I don't understand why this happens, i live in the states in a heavily populated area...why would it match me with someone in Japan and not in US/EU

One more thing, the post game content is almost none existent. Besides catching pokemon, and doing the Battle Masion, the only thing left is a small 45min quest... idk considering how beautiful the world space is i was hoping for a really cool safari zone or some kind of area similar to D/P to explore.

Nonetheless its the easiest Pokemon game to date, with nothing but casual activities post game.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Not sure if this helps or anything, but my 10 year old brother and his 9-10 year old friends that have played it thought the game was fun, but pretty easy. They're basically the target audience (unless Pokemon is marketed for 6 year olds? It could be possible considering Gates to Infinity...)

It's just kinda sad because in reality, as we get older, things will get easier, regardless if they make the game hard or not. They're marketing these games for the younger generation, and so they'll appeal to whatever they like, basically, while knowingly throwing in some things for the fans they know will play it anyway (us). Like, my brother didn't really change his outfit until he beat the game, but I changed mine almost immediately, just because we've never been able to do that before.

Like, it's kinda weird, because when I was my brother's age, the games I played and the games he plays are a lot different (he prefers the Mario games to Zelda, for example). While it's disappointing for us, Pokemon is always going to appeal to an age range of kids, not to the actual kids. (if that makes sense? Like, they're making the game for young boys, not making it for the ones that bought Red/Blue back in the day. The age range is static, but the kids grow).

Years
  • Having couple of difficulty levels would be nice, though personally I felt Exp All is what really made all of my Pokemon stupid overpowered before facing the E4/Champion.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • Pokemon is a total cakewalk when you know exactly what you're doing. I mean, last time I played LeafGreen I steamrolled the Elite Four with a team that had levels 40-44. The only time I've ever had trouble with Pokemon was my blind run of Heart Gold where I went into Lance completely unprepared. Second go around it was extremely easy.

I go by the argument day by day that we're simply learning so much that we're outsmarting the game without even knowing it. A few extra Pokemon for the Elite Four isn't going to help much, because you're just going to OHKO it along with the others.
    My team was pretty much ready to annihilate everything, in fact I only lost one Pokemon throughout the whole E4 (my levels were slightly less than the champion) because it was overall a solid team. I wound up getting through the credits at 17:04 in-game time.

Another thing I guess there is to take into account is that the games are more polished and accessible than before, making the game easier naturally. This is an effect that happens with pretty much every video game genre ever created, and RPGs are regularly no exception.

Years
  • How to lock this thread, so many useless posts after the first 3 pages, this thread should have been dead who keeps bumping it :|

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    How to lock this thread, so many useless posts after the first 3 pages, this thread should have been dead who keeps bumping it :|

^ why would you lock the thread? Don't be a jackass...

as for the game I have not yet played it but I have heard people in tv tropes that they had some difficulity in this game.
    Without Exp. Share, it's arguably one of the most challenging Pokemon games. Unless you deliberately grind, you're going to be just underleveled enough for most major battles to be reasonably challenging, and while trainer classes were usually forced to using the same Pokemon in previous games, the overwhelming amount of Pokemon in Kalos makes it impossible to predict what Pokemon a given trainer will be carrying. The AI is also noticeable stronger, and most trainers will be packing moves to counter their weaknesses. Send out a Fairy-type to deal with a Fighting-type, and chances are you're going to get smacked with a Poison Jab.

.. yeah you might have found it easy but it dose not mean EVERY POKEFAN should find it easy. afterall you do NOT represent all of pokefan do you?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • As long as this thread stays civil, there's no need for it to be locked. There are always gonna be different opinions about things and I'd like to think that we can talk about them without the need to get ratty and start calling each other "stupid" or "jackass", guys. 8|

Years
  • As long as this thread stays civil, there's no need for it to be locked. There are always gonna be different opinions about things and I'd like to think that we can talk about them without the need to get ratty and start calling each other "stupid" or "jackass", guys. 8|

just lock the thread there are many other civil threads that have the same opinions lol.

This one got outta hand because of misunderstandings.

/locked and Thanks.

Back