• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hugh Got to Be Kidding Me

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
Years
  • I found his hyperactive personality to be a bit annoying after awhile, but he was definitely unique in comparison to past rivals so I liked that about him. I quite liked his battle music too so that's a plus.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I mostly liked him. Seemed to be an attempt at an edgy rival without having sociopath tendencies like Silver.

One thing that irked me is even after Team Plasma's plan got all genocide-y he was still talking about Purrloin(!) That was a perfectly fine reason for him to hate Team Plasma, but things were getting so much bigger than a stolen Pokemon.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    One thing compare to most of the rivals are..
    "That's the ONLY Purrloin in the world that my late grandpa caught for my little sister!"

"Wait... You're one of the Shadow Triad, right? Tell me about the Purrloin that was stolen in Aspertia."

"I won't let 'em get away, though! Her Purrloin... I'll get it back for sure!"

"That's the last of 'em! Well now... Why don't you tell me everything you know about Purrloin?"

and he keeps rumbling about his sister's PURRLOIN it proves he is more edgier and less ego than Silver.

Years
  • His battle theme is great, but that's about the only good thing he has going for him. He does nothing other than yell about Purrloin or Team Plasma and constantly gets in your way, dragging you into situations that you want nothing to do with and distracting you from your own journey (which you could probably argue is done in every game, but most other Teams usually pull some stunt that gives you at least some reason to want to stop them whereas Team Plasma hadn't done much other than exist for most of B2/W2), he hides behind you while you battle Team Plasma for him and then takes credit for fighting them when he did absolutely nothing other than drag you into the whole thing, and he has absolutely no character development whatsoever (Marlon tried to give him something to work with with the whole 'think about why you're doing this' speech but Hugh completely ignored it). On top of that, he continues the trend that's been going since Gen III of rivals going on about how they'll beat you only to eventually give up and go home after admitting that they're weak and will never match your skills. Yep, top rival material right there.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Who is his sister anyway? I mean outside of an uninteresting NPC that exists so Hugh has a reason to do what he does. I think he'd been a better character if GF put a little more effort into worldbuilding and character development.

Sirfetch’d

Nope didn't like him at all. I didn't really like any of the gen 5 protagonists/friends/rivals outside of Cheren and Rosa :x

Years
  • I did't like him he wasn't a rival you would hate like Blue or Silver nor was he a rival who you could consider a friend like May/Brendan, Wally or all the Kalos rivals. He was a bit to much of a ball or raging hate and didn't have much of a personality =p

I called him Shitty anyway lol.

Years
  • I liked him, because he was the cross between a friend and a tough rival at the same time, similar to the likes of Barry or even Blue. And of course, you can't forget his "Qwilfish Hair" hahahaha

The fact he holds a huge grudge against Team Plasma because of them stealing his sister's Purrloin makes him have an excuse for going out on a Pokemon journey other than just collecting all the badges. It was so fun seeing the build-up to the moment when you find out what really happened to the Purrloin in question.

Years
  • ^ Aha yes, who can forget the Qwilfish hairstyle joke :P

Anyway, part of what I really liked Hugh for was that he wasn't power-hungry, a stalker (at least not to the same levels as most rivals were), a total dick or anything along those lines. That's what he felt like to me, for the most part.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I really disliked Hugh as a rival. At first I started to like him due to his design a bit of his personality, and was okay with helping him get his sister's Purrloin, but I soon stopped caring about him, his sister, and the Purrloin after he would not shut up about it. I would care more if there was more to it, but since his sister only appears for 10 seconds in the game, doesn't say much, and I just didn't find a reason to care about getting the Purrloin, and Hugh got on my nerves since all he would talk about is the Purrloin.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I wasn't the biggest fan of his personality and character arc, but I liked him a lot more than I liked Bianca and Cheren. When he was first introduced he reminded me of Silver, but he's not nearly as much of a jerk. And I thought it was kind of sweet that he cared so much about his sister's Purrloin.

Also, his battle music was awesome. Easily my favorite rival battle music.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • To me, his battle music always sounds like it's trying to go somewhere but never actually gets there. He also wasn't that memorable IMO, but in his defense he does have to compete with Silver and Gary Blue.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • To me, his battle music always sounds like it's trying to go somewhere but never actually gets there. He also wasn't that memorable IMO, but in his defense he does have to compete with Silver and Gary Blue.
    I can understand that with his battle theme - its has this sort of stop-start sound/structure to it every so often. That said I like the tune - not my most favourite rival theme but it's a neat one nonetheless.

Hugh as a character however... I didn't like him,. He didn't quite develop or change throughout - while his motivation as understandable, the extent of his fixation and his actions (yelling at everyone, jumping into trouble and dragging you into it, etc) was not endearing for myself. The foreshadowing of his motivation wasn't well done either imo.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Huge is alright, and personally, I find that him grudging over the Team Plasma (that poor Purrloin) makes him one of the rivals that is not just about beating the player and all, and I think it's a plus point.

Years
  • Okay, Hugh, ugh. BW2 are my favorite pokemon games, but I would like it more if hugh was changed. He's after his sister's purrlion. Not his, nope! That'd be dumb! If we had lots more development for the sister, and maybe a story or something that she tells us, then that would make more sense. He is just trying to get back his bland and uninteresting sister's purrlion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2015
    Okay, Hugh, ugh. BW2 are my favorite pokemon games, but I would like it more if hugh was changed. He's after his sister's purrlion. Not his, nope! That'd be dumb! If we had lots more development for the sister, and maybe a story or something that she tells us, then that would make more sense. He is just trying to get back his bland and uninteresting sister's purrlion.
    I didn't really like that as his reason for fighting
    But i really like the part when he finds out it evolved
    He was an alright rival but got kinda repetetive
    😀

Years
  • I didn't hate him but he got kind of boring. His reason just got a little repetitive I felt - but it's not like a lot of the other rivals across the games aren't kind of repetitive as well. I did like his design and battle music though! Hugh's theme is pretty dang sweet, so it was enjoyable running into him and getting to listen to it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Great encounter and rival theme. The thing that is memorable about him is his Qwilfish hair, other wise he isn't that memorable enough for me.

Back