• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Crew

TY

The Crew, a game made by Ubisoft and Ivory Tower... yes... Ubisoft... the company I raged about in my recent blog. However this game may be the salvation of them, though I experienced random crashing all the time this morning, after like 6PM every issue I had was gone to play the game normally, so i played the crap out of it to give my opinion on it.

... and boy did I wait for a racing game like this.

Let's start off with the thing most racing games don't even have anymore these days: CUSTOMIZATION. You can customize your car with bumpers, spoilers and hoods, though the variation is quite small and the stickers are meh, there is still customization in it to make your ride look sweet.

But now to talk about the game itself... It has one MAJOR flaw to it: microtransactions... Yes you heard it... for a full-priced game you would not expect microtransactions to be in there now do you? Well guess what? The Crew has them and it is so annoying cause you end up needing it to get a new proper car later in the game cause you barely stack up in-game cash.

Fortunately:
    Spoiler:

The game feels awesome to play, the story is like Need for Speed: Undercover but waaaaaay less crap and more thought went into it. Hell, this is one of the best stories I have seen within a racing game. Also the main character is Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, or at least he looks very similar to him... HL3 confirmed?

There are plenty of cars within the game and I'm sure I haven't unlocked half of them and I am level 23. They range from old-school muscle cars to your everyday exotic Ferrari or Lamborghini. But asides that there are 5 different spec modes you can branch into. Street is the overall balanced on the roads with decent speed and nice control. Dirt let's you drive on the more bumpy roads and allow for better jumps. Perf is all about dat top speed. Raid is there to demolish other people's cars and Circuit is something I have yet to dicover.

The game offers plenty of things to do outside of the main story. There are challenges ranging from staying on the road maintaining a high speed to jump as far as you can from a ramp. These challenges are even worth your time as they deliver upgrades and money for you once you get Bronze, Silver or Gold. Then there are some PvP matches in a later stage of the game where it is crew vs crew and there is even some long races for people who like them.

Then I haven't talked about the soundtrack yet... it is AMAZING. The first time I heard it I instantly wanted to look up the OST for this song cause it fits the game well, though there are parts where the songs (which aren't part of the official OST I assume) went kinda... weird.

Like I said in my blog before, the game was plagued with random crashes all the time at random key moments in the game. However the issue seems to have been solved so I can scrap that off the list.

Overall, The Crew is a amazing racing game that gives me faith in the racing genre AND in Ubisoft. This game at it's current state is a must get if you like customizing your ride and like to drive in a crew with your friends.

Back