• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting Back into Battleing

Years
  • Hey all! Admittedly, I do too much breeding. In my Alpha Sapphire I have a good amount of pokemon to use, but have no one to use them against but the Battle Maison. And I have gone up against the Battle Maison and only the Maison for so long I have gotten out of it. I still have my original competitive team that I used before ORAS, but I feel it's outdated. So I was wondering if I could start getting some tips as to getting back into battling. One thing though that will never change about me is that I very much like battling with pokemon that enjoy getting stat boosts. Serperior, Mega Sableye, Malamar to name a few.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • If you're fishing for places to battle, I can't recommend the Prism League enough. You can re-familiarize yourself as you plod along through your challenge, like a lot of us have over there :3 Check the link in my sig if you're interested.

Are you more interested in Doubles or Singles? We can start throwing names around, but realistically, the Pokemon that get an opportunity to set up in the two formats are pretty different from each other, with the exceptions of maybe Gyarados and Tyranitar.

Years
  • If you're fishing for places to battle, I can't recommend the Prism League enough. You can re-familiarize yourself as you plod along through your challenge, like a lot of us have over there :3 Check the link in my sig if you're interested.

Are you more interested in Doubles or Singles? We can start throwing names around, but realistically, the Pokemon that get an opportunity to set up in the two formats are pretty different from each other, with the exceptions of maybe Gyarados and Tyranitar.

I couldn't really tell you if I prefer singles or Doubles. I like singles because it is easier to keep track of things and I feel that pokemon like Malamar Shine there more. At least in my experience. But at the same time, lately I have been into doubles because I love using little Dedenne. x3

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Malamar makes for a unique Trick Room setter in Doubles because most of the typical Pokemon for the role are better suited to special attacks, and it shines as a physical attacker with those Contrary Superpowers and Night Slashes. I got wrecked by one the other day.

It pairs really well with Heatran (like a lot of things) in both Singles and Doubles, because Heatran 2x or 4x resists all of its weaknesses.

Dedenne is so cool! Cheek Pouch is a rad ability that I truly appreciate. I've been meaning to breed one myself. With those electric-types, you wanna be running something next to it that Levitates. And for Dedenne, you want that something to resist its other weakness in Poison. Gengar happens to do both of those. Talonflame would be a good option too.

What do you like to run as a Mega so far? If you haven't picked one, I would recommend Salamence, Metagross, or Kangaskhan.

Years
  • Trick room isn't something that I use a whole lot. I have one pokemon that I use it with and that is my Coffigrigas. And with Ghost being my favorite type, Trick Room does work well since a lot of them are really slow and bulky, which is what I like. x3

Dedenne I use as a really fun support in doubles, I don't feel I could use it well in singles. I was just so ecstatic when I found it got Recycle as a move tutor. xD

Oh, Mega Sableye all the way! xD Though, a few others I enjoy using are Mega Manetric, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Charizard X

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Okay cool so. Mega Sableye. The things I could say.

The typical set is going to run Bold Nature, with a Prankster-boosted Calm Mind practically mandatory on the first turn unless all physical pokes are on the field, in which case you can safely fire off a Will-O-Wisp (barring predictions). Recover or Protect for the 3rd slot and Dark Pulse as the Attacking move (but I use Snarl on mine)

Another really popular Sableye involves using Gravity, which turns those super powerful low-accuracy moves like Dragon Rush and Thunder into 100% accuracy moves. Might that be something you're interested in?

Years
  • Oh trust me, I know how MEga Sableye is normally run. XD I use it myself all the time. I used Normal Sableye before as well. XD I know how he works and have had many victories because of him. Though field conditions aren't usually something I use. But I know the effect of Gravity as well. I have so much knowledge about what effects things have and what they do. I just can't use it.

But what I said about stat boostings, yeah, that's why I love the ability Contrary. Favorite ability.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I wouldn't personally run Sableye and Malamar on the same team if that's what you're thinking. Mutual weaknesses to Fairy practically beg for a Sylveon sweep.

Heatran, Rotom Heat, Amoongus, Aegislash and Volcarona all defensively check Sylveon really well. Heatran and Aegi can hit back with Flash Cannon as an added benefit, and Amoongus with Sludge Bomb. Gengar and Lucario would be good offensive checks to things that threaten you as well.

I wouldn't recommend building a whole team of setup sweepers, but rather having a single thing that sets up and other members that support that leader. Would you like that to be Sableye?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Oh, don't worry. I rarely do that. If anything I would run Ducknuor with it to at least have a bit of a counter to Malamar's 4x bug weakness. And with how I run Ducknour with Assault Vest it can handle Special attacks well. :P

Back