• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to competitive Pokemon

Years
  • Hi, I am new to competitive Pokemon games. I have played Pokemon White in 2011 and I frequently check the wiki for news. I am now going to play Pokemon X and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. So I have tried to come up with a team comp of Pokemons I like and would like to create for online competitions. I have not played any yet but by the help of websites like the Pokemon Type Coverage calculator and the Team Builder (I can't seem to post links but a Google search should bring them up)
    I think my planned team comp can work:

Rotom
    moves:
    Confuse Ray
    Thunderbolt
    Signal Beam
    Dark Pulse
    Nature: Timid

Porygon
    moves:
    Volt Switch
    Shadow Ball
    Tri-Attack
    Psybeam
    Nature: Modest

Eelektross
    moves:
    Thunder Wave
    Dragon Claw
    Facade
    Gyro Ball
    Nature: Brave

Blastoise
    moves:
    Strength
    Bite
    Water Pulse
    Ice Beam
    Nature: Rash?

Chandelure
    moves:
    Toxic
    Payback
    Incinerate
    Hex
    Nature: Quiet

Gardevoir
    moves:
    Psyshock
    Energy Ball
    Moon Blast
    Shadow Ball
    nature: Timid

The strategy I would like is status effect which I have quite a few moves that inflicts them and then capitalize onto the opponents with status effects using moves like hex and facade. The moveset for each Pokemon I have chosen are based on how diverse they are on the Type Coverage Calculator so that they each have a chance.
    I'm not sure if this is a good team comp and I'm too inexperienced to understand IV or EV or anything of the sort to choose now. I would like anyone experienced to help me and tell me if this is a workable team comp in online battles so I'll know whether to work on creating this team or something else. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Rotom's regular form is mediocre because Raikou, Mega Manectric, and Gengar do its roles better. The best form to use it with is the Wash form. In both X/Y and OR/AS, Rotom's form can be changed by interacting with a set of cardboard boxes that contain various electrical appliances in the professor's lab. Wash Rotom is the best Rotom form to use because it only has a single weakness to Grass, an uncommon attacking type. It also counters Talonflame, a top threat, very well:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Rest
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Porygon is the lowest form in its evolutionary line. Evolve it into Porygon2. As weird as this sounds, it's not worth evolving all the way to Porygon-Z because Porygon2 is bulkier, especially when it's equipped with Eviolite, even though you need to be wary of Knock Off. Porygon-Z struggles in standard play because while its Speed isn't bad, it isn't good either, and it's also frail:
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave
    -Recover
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/204 Def/56 SDef
    Item: Eviolite
    Ability: Trace

Eelektross is badly outclassed by other Electric Pokemon, like the above Electrics I mentioned, as well as Mega Ampharos. It isn't too bulky, and it's very slow. While Mega Ampharos is also slower than Eelektross, it's also more bulkier. However, I won't suggest Ampharos here, as Therian Landorus should replace Eelektross. It provides Stealth Rock support for the team, as well as U-turn to synergize with Wash Rotom's Volt Switch. Even though both moves force the user out of battle, this is advantageous, as when the opponent switches to something else as you U-turn/Volt Switch, you can respond by switching to a check/counter. U-turn and Volt Switch also are good ways to get frail attackers into battle unscathed if the user happens to be slower than the target, as normal switching will make the new Pokemon open to an attack:

Therian Landorus:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Knock Off
    -U-turn
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/8 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Knock Off
    -U-turn
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/184 Spe
    Item: Soft Sand/Earth Plate/Focus Sash

Blastoise and Gardevoir are only worth it as their Mega Evolutions, but you'll need to pick one out of the two. Both of your current sets also waste away their abilities, Mega Launcher and Pixilate, respectively. The former powers up aura- and pulse-based moves, while the latter turns Normal moves into Fairy ones and powers them up. Pixilate also won't affect moves that are already Fairy type, like Moonblast. Given Gardevoir's Steel weakness, it needs Focus Blast to be able to damage Steel Pokemon, as your current set is walled by them:

Blastoise:
    -Hydro Pump/Scald
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin/Ice Beam
    EVs: 236 HP/252 SAtk/20 Spe
    Item: Blastoisinite

Gardevoir:
    -Psyshock
    -Hyper Voice
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp/Calm Mind
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace

Depending on what Mega you opt for, here are some alternatives:

If you opted for Mega Blastoise:

Sylveon:
    -Hyper Voice
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball/Hidden Power (Fire/Ground)
    -Baton Pass
    EVs: 244 HP/252 SAtk/12 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Pixilate

or
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Toxic
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Hyper Voice
    -Substitute/Wish
    -Baton Pass
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe

Clefable:
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Flamethrower/Thunder Wave
    -Soft-Boiled/Moonlight
    EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 SDef
    Ability: Magic Guard

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Moonblast
    -Fire Blast/Thunder Wave
    -Soft-Boiled
    EVs: 252 HP/172 SDef/84 SDef

or
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Flamethrower/Heal Bell
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Moonlight/Wish
    -Heal Bell/Protect/Flamethrower
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Unaware

Alakazam:
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Encore/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

Sylveon and Clefable are excellent support Fairy Pokemon, while Alakazam is a good revenge killer.

If you opted for Mega Gardevoir:

Gyarados:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Bounce
    -Substitute/Taunt
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 88 HP/220 Atk/4 Def/196 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

Azumarill:
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe (Choice Band) or 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef (Assault Vest)
    Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest
    Abiilty: Huge Power

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off
    EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Huge Power

Feraligatr:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    -Superpower/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Waterfall/Aqua Jet
    -Aqua Jet/Ice Punch
    -Crunch/Superpower
    EVs: 144 HP/252 Atk/112 Spe
    Ability: Sheer Force

Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Rapid Spin/Recover
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Reflect Type
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

Gyarados, Feraligatr, and Azumarill are powerful physical attackers, while Starmie provides a specially-based alternative. While the last set seems out of place, Starmie does it well, as this lets it beat its counters by copying their types, namely Bisharp, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar

Years
  • Thanks for the reply, the reason I picked Eelektross was because he have ground type immunity but if I should switch, I originally had planned Magnezone, could that work?
    I like Electric pokemons. I would like to make a team where the main strategy is to inflict various status effect then use hex and facade, I do like the idea of switching out pokemons with attacks like Volt Switch so I'll do that but mainly, it's about status effects.
    I can remake the team if it can fit my strategy well but I would like to stick to my original list as close as possible (I would always have a Rotom of any form as Rotom is my favorite Pokemon), would that be possible?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Thanks for the reply, the reason I picked Eelektross was because he have ground type immunity but if I should switch, I originally had planned Magnezone, could that work?
    I like Electric pokemons. I would like to make a team where the main strategy is to inflict various status effect then use hex and facade, I do like the idea of switching out pokemons with attacks like Volt Switch so I'll do that but mainly, it's about status effects.
    I can remake the team if it can fit my strategy well but I would like to stick to my original list as close as possible (I would always have a Rotom of any form as Rotom is my favorite Pokemon), would that be possible?

If you are set on using Rotom, play NU:

Rotom @ choice scarf
    T-bolt
    Volt-switch
    shadow ball
    trick
    Ev's: 252 sp. att/252 speed/4 def
    nature: modest

And if you really want to have a hex team, at least use toxic spikes. I know the tier has changed a lot, but I would recommend Garbodor or Quilfish (look on Showdown to know for sure).

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2021
    For Chandelure, a good option I would use is a Choice Scarf all-out attacker with a Modest nature. It should outspeed most pokemon you face outside of Crobat and a couple mega pokemon. Use moves that can cover as many types as you can: Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Psychic are what I use on my 3DS team. Throw out Psychic for Dark Pulse on Showdown.

Years
  • I think I know, I have prepared 3 teams so I can have all my favorite Pokemons.
    First is the Rotom team with all the Rotoms, the only problem is that a such team is weak to stealth rock and rotoms can't learn defog or rapid spin

Second is the status team, this team has Wash Rotom, Mega gengar, Sylveon, Chandelure, Porygon2 and Skarmory (for stealth rock), I think the Pokemon chosen are varied in types.

Last is the rain-thunder team which is about making it rain then using thunder at 100%. Pokemons are Wash Rotom, Blastoise, Alakazam, Clefable (choices you guys gave me), Magnezone and Jellicent.

How about these comps?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I think I know, I have prepared 3 teams so I can have all my favorite Pokemons.
    First is the Rotom team with all the Rotoms, the only problem is that a such team is weak to stealth rock and rotoms can't learn defog or rapid spin

Second is the status team, this team has Wash Rotom, Mega gengar, Sylveon, Chandelure, Porygon2 and Skarmory (for stealth rock), I think the Pokemon chosen are varied in types.

Last is the rain-thunder team which is about making it rain then using thunder at 100%. Pokemons are Wash Rotom, Blastoise, Alakazam, Clefable (choices you guys gave me), Magnezone and Jellicent.

How about these comps?

Some things I'm picking up.

If you're playing with any ruleset whatsoever, a full Rotom team will break the Species Clause.

Sylveon and Porygon2 pair well in Trick Room, but if you go for that I'd drop Gengar for Ampharos as a mega. It pairs well with Sylveon and Skarmory and is a total babe in Trick Room. You might also try Jellicent over Chandelure as a secondary TR setter that still resists Steel and Poison (which I think you're going for in Chandelure?), and can safely switch into the Fighting types that threaten Porygon2, as well as the Ice types that threaten Mega Ampharos.

RainRoom is a cool strategy... but I'd probably swap Blastoise out for Politoed as it gets to set up rain without spending a turn on setup and risking Taunt predictions, and can set up Trick Room with Jellicent showing up once again as your secondary TR setter. The mistake that a lot of us make in rain teams is loading them up with Water types though, which puts you at risk against counters like Amoongus, Mega Venusaur, and Ferrothorn. Magnezone is a good choice, I'd once again consider Mega Ampharos over it, and perhaps Cresselia over Alakazam as it would pair well with either one (Levitates, gets access to Ice Beam, plays decently in the sun).

Last edited:
    Back