• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Spin-offs

Wrennekin

Smol but Fierce
Years
  • While Pokemon is obviously most renowned for it's main line of games, it's unsurprising that there have been many spin-offs released in the previous years.
    Have you played any of the spin-offs, or do you tend to stick to the original line of games? What spin-offs did you like or not like?

Pokemon spin-offs include:

• Hey You, Pikachu!
    • Pokemon Snap
    • Pokemon Pinball
    • PokePark
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
    • Pokemon Rangers
    • Pokemon Rumble
    • Pokemon Colosseum
    • Pokemon Trozei
    • Pokemon Conquest

I just recently bought a copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Time, after thoroughly enjoying the Pokemon Pinball and Pokemon Rangers series and getting curious about some of the other spin-off games. I never got a chance to try any of the N64 games when I was younger, but my partner bought me a Pikachu N64 for Christmas last year so I've been itching to try Pokemon Snap. c:

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since this is about pokémon games, I will move it to Pokémon Gaming Central.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Some of the Pokemon Spin-offs are great, Mystery Dungeon and Ranger particularly. I've played a lot of Spin-offs over the years and I'd definitely say some of them are even better than the mainstream games. Few of my favourites:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky
    Pokemon Ranger 2: Shadow of Almia
    Pokemon Colosseum
    Pokemon Conquest
    Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've played Trozei!, rse pinball, and pmd. I think they were all fun with pinball being surprisingly addicting for myself. I have to say pmd have been the best side games I've played so far. I was really taken back by their story. I thought the story in explorers of sky was especially good for a Pokemon game. Also going to add a lot of the music in those games are really addicting.

I've always wanted to try Rangers, but never got around to it. I heard it wasn't as fun as pmd though so I haven't gone out of my way to find it. I never had a console outside of the handhelds to play games like colosseum and xd :(

Years
  • I really enjoyed the PMD series as a whole and I'd love to see a new one. I've read alot online about Colosseum and XD, but Gamecube never really took off here so I'd have to order it all online from overseas.... Maybe after I manage to get a job haha...

Years
  • PMD and the Pokemon Ranger series were the best! My favorite PMD game has to be Explorers of Sky although Gates to Infinity was actually pretty good. I really hope they keep making those games especially Rangers because I really miss them.

Wrennekin

Smol but Fierce
    Years

• I've always wanted to try Rangers, but never got around to it. I heard it wasn't as fun as pmd though so I haven't gone out of my way to find it. I never had a console outside of the handhelds to play games like colosseum and xd :(

I actually enjoyed Pokemon Rangers a lot more than PMD, so far, but it's likely that it just comes down to personal taste haha. The Ranger series is pretty different
    from the general type of game that is released for Pokemon, so I imagine it's probably pretty hit or miss for folks. In the end, I'd say it's worth trying if
    you can find a used copy for sale---you never know if you may like it! c:

PMD and the Pokemon Ranger series were the best! My favorite PMD game has to be Explorers of Sky although Gates to Infinity was actually pretty good. I really hope they keep making those games especially Rangers because I really miss them.

Agreed! I really hope they consider adding to the Pokemon Rangers series in the future. I finished all of the available games in
    quick succession and was bummed to discover that there weren't any more haha. I should really go replay all them sometime...it's been a while.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    PMD and pokemon colloseum were the only spin off I like an pokemon battle revolution was ok to

Years
  • My favorite spinoff would easily have to be Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. There was so much to like about it, lots of dungeons and side-quests, including the special episodes to go along with it, and lots of Pokémon that all had different uses - it was very difficult to get bored there.

I also played XD Gale of Darkness back in 2009, I only played through it once but it was fun too.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Played them all but my favorite was MD: EOS, it is an amazing game with great characters and stories.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't follow spin-off scene as much as I used to, sadly. Few years back (say, 2006), I used to be heavily into it, as there were a range of excellent titles available. Now, there are still some things here and there on spin-off side, but none of them seem to appeal to me, sadly.

One of my most favorites, however, would likely have to be Gale of Darkness. Although I did not get to finish it completely (borrowed it from a friend, and she took it away from me before I were able), I had still enjoyed my time on it; things were rather enjoyable! They've had shadow-Pokémon, which I found to be quite an unique concept; it was very fun to be experimenting with them.

I would like them to remake this game at some point in future, if possible. If they do, I'm sure many of us will enjoy. I wouldn't mind if it were for Wii U, but I feel it would be slightly better if it were remade for 3DS instead; this way, there wouldn't be much of hassle when connecting main-series games to it (sort of like how it was in generation three), if they're planning to re-implement the system.

Back