• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2010
VBALink. Google it. I'm not sure if I can link to it.

No, I know about VBALink, but most of the hacks I've tried don't even have the room beneath the Pokecenters for battling. Or am I just thinking wrong and that wasn't ever how it was done on the GBA? It's been awhile since I played one of them, the last one I did play was Silver, I remember having to take the stairs in the Pokecenter to go under it and talk to the lady at the desk so I could link up. Most of these hacks (so far, checking the first two pokecenters in each) don't have the stairs to even go down. Is it done differently, is it only at later pokecenters, or should I move on and keep trying hacks? Because it's awfully hard to find hacks that are finished/etc.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
EDIT:
Figured out how to hack Game Corner Pokemon in GBC

Last edited:

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
Pokecenters didn't start having basements until D/P. There's no way that I know of even with VBALink to battle someone over the internet on a GBA ROM.

PeregrineFig

Years
I really suggest trying XSE, it's a bit easier to use and get working. If you do download XSE, this script should do the trick, with obvious minor edits:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2010
Pokecenters didn't start having basements until D/P. There's no way that I know of even with VBALink to battle someone over the internet on a GBA ROM.

Yes, that's why you fool it into thinking you're connected to another GBA with a program like VBALink, which has netplay. I also really think you're wrong about the Pokecenter thing. Like, for instance, there's an emulator that will let me play a Super Nintendo game online by fooling it into thinking I simply have two controllers plugged in. There's a program that lets you play the original Halo online by making your Xbox think it's plugged into another one via system link. And in this vein, I can get a Pokemon Blue rom and play my friend across the country in VBALink the same why I'd plug our gameboys in together. And I believe this was done via a room under or above the Pokecenter, and if not, where was it done? Gameboy to Gameboy battling has always been around for the pokemon games, and that's what VBALink is for. Now I want to know what supports it..

Years
The upstairs of the Pokémon Centre in the Generation Three games was where the player, when he/she had a Multiplayer Link/Wireless Adapter plugged in/attatched to their GBA, they could trade or battle with the GBA on the other end. PC's gained their basement floor in the Fourth Generation.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2010
The upstairs of the Pokémon Centre in the Generation Three games was where the player, when he/she had a Multiplayer Link/Wireless Adapter plugged in/attatched to their GBA, they could trade or battle with the GBA on the other end. PC's gained their basement floor in the Fourth Generation.

Like I said... and thank you all for listening to me and not being rude or anything, but I'm not concerned with whether it was downstairs or upstairs, just that there was another floor in the Pokecenter for battling and trading via link. My question stands, does anyone know of any completed hacks that haven't removed this?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Like I said... and thank you all for listening to me and not being rude or anything, but I'm not concerned with whether it was downstairs or upstairs, just that there was another floor in the Pokecenter for battling and trading via link. My question stands, does anyone know of any completed hacks that haven't removed this?

IF you are asking where it is in Blue, then it is near the PC. But anyway, about the hacks question:

Most ROM hacks don't have this removed. No-one really checks these. I know Shiny Gold doesn't, and that is it. Check some that you really like.

Muffin™

Knows your age
Years
Hi, I have a question. When ever I enter the RIGHT palette for my custom made tiles which are awesome and put the tile into the tileset, it always comes up as a blue screen when I insert it. ANY HELP? It's really frustrating when ever I insert it, AND THEN I HAVE TO OPEN THE BACKUP I HAVE BECAUSE IT CURRUPS ALL OF THE DATA I HAVE >:o

ville!

Abbysus, abbysus invocat!
Years
how can i edit the asm routine for new evolution items in gba rooms? someone knows how?

Raizaiel

Well, I'll be conflabbed!
Years
Silly British Noob Falls Trembling at Yon Feet

I dropped Pokemon Hacking a year ago because I couldn't get past this problem and couldn't get much help about it, but I've decided to pick the mantle back up. So, maybe I'm just an idiot (Which I could very well be!), but I've been looking for hours for a good tutorial to how XSE works, not how to script inside, as I've been encountering a problem wherein all my scripts are rewritten. Now, I know all about the Guide bit in the Help section for the program, but the thing is, there's a break somewhere and it gives me the default 404 WEBPAGE WON'T LOAD spiel that I hate so much, preventing me from actually figuring out how to use the program well. I've been looking for just this thing, and I haven't found it, but I assume that this is because the guide is supposed to be pretty easy to find.

Anyway, this is the script I've been working with, trying to figure out and why I'm pulling my hair out. It's my first script in this game and I'm annoyed that it won't work for me:

Spoiler:

And it turns into THIS script after I compile it, then reopen or play the rom:

Spoiler:

...Which wouldn't be a problem, but it won't work. It locks the screen up when I initiate the message. I've double-checked the original script a thousand times and I can't get it to stop converting into this not-working variation. Can somebody lend me a hand?

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I dropped Pokemon Hacking a year ago because I couldn't get past this problem and couldn't get much help about it, but I've decided to pick the mantle back up. So, maybe I'm just an idiot (Which I could very well be!), but I've been looking for hours for a good tutorial to how XSE works, not how to script inside, as I've been encountering a problem wherein all my scripts are rewritten. Now, I know all about the Guide bit in the Help section for the program, but the thing is, there's a break somewhere and it gives me the default 404 WEBPAGE WON'T LOAD spiel that I hate so much, preventing me from actually figuring out how to use the program well. I've been looking for just this thing, and I haven't found it, but I assume that this is because the guide is supposed to be pretty easy to find.

Anyway, this is the script I've been working with, trying to figure out and why I'm pulling my hair out. It's my first script in this game and I'm annoyed that it won't work for me:

Spoiler:

And it turns into THIS script after I compile it, then reopen or play the rom:

Spoiler:

...Which wouldn't be a problem, but it won't work. It locks the screen up when I initiate the message. I've double-checked the original script a thousand times and I can't get it to stop converting into this not-working variation. Can somebody lend me a hand?

How is it not-working? Did you give the sprite you're talking to the Script Offset $800000 in A-Map?

PeregrineFig

Years
Ok, I need a bit of help. I'm trying to write a movement script that uses a hidden sprite, which starts out just below the exit of a room. If I set its movement to hidden (the only hidden choice where it actually disappears), then showsprite does nothing and it doesn't visibly move. I tried writing a level script to hide the sprite. The first time I got an error message about beng unable to write to byte 0 and I should contact LU-HO, so I changed from a validate level script to a on entering map/not on menu close one. Now it hides the sprite, but it's delayed, meaning you can see it for a brief second, and it doesn't release the player even though there's no lock command. Anyone know how I can get this working?

Raizaiel

Years
How is it not-working? Did you give the sprite you're talking to the Script Offset $800000 in A-Map?

Sure did. Now you understand why I'm a little frustrated. It SHOULD work, but it just freezes the screen up when I talk to her. No message box, nothing. I'm just locked in. So, I write the script, compile it, that log comes up, I exit out of that, it should work, eh? Please ignore my utter attack on comma rules in that sentence :P

Also, is it SUPPOSED to change like that? Is there a way to change it back afterwards or do I need to rewrite it, or save absolutely every script I ever do?

PeregrineFig

Years
That change is perfectly normal. The way scripts are written when done by hand (usually) is a simplified form, the form you get is the real form. It looks like your script should run perfectly, though, so it's odd that it doesn't work.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Sure did. Now you understand why I'm a little frustrated. It SHOULD work, but it just freezes the screen up when I talk to her. No message box, nothing. I'm just locked in. So, I write the script, compile it, that log comes up, I exit out of that, it should work, eh? Please ignore my utter attack on comma rules in that sentence :P

Also, is it SUPPOSED to change like that? Is there a way to change it back afterwards or do I need to rewrite it, or save absolutely every script I ever do?

Okay, I tested it myself. I opened a clean Fire Red rom, compiled the script you had, gave the offset to the mom, started up the game and went downstairs and talked to her. She calls me a muffin. And I walk away feeling like a muffin. So the script's fine.

You'll have to figure out what else could be the problem. Double-click the sprite to make sure that script opens up in XSE and that it's really compiled correctly. Make sure that when you open up Batch Compiler you have the correct ROM selected in the first part (I made that mistake and accidently compiled it to my hack at first). Try checking the Person ID. Make sure it's not the same as any other sprite on the map. Try deleting the sprite and inserting a new one and putting the offset # into it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Yeah how it has changed the script it fine, it says the same thing.

Things to check (aka, silly mistakes I have made in the past):
-> Make sure you are compiling to the right ROM.
-> Check if the offset in A-Map is resetting itself.
-> Use a new person event instead of using a pre-existing person.
-> Change the offset (to something completely different, try 805000) and recompile.

(Basically what metapod said XD Damn I'm slow)

PeregrineFig

Years
Argh, I have a bug that pretty much breaks my entire project. I've been backing up, but I'm not sure where this bug came from. it appears to be in my backup file too :( when certain sprites are on the screen, if the player opens the menu/gets in a battle/uses a PC/anything else that temporarily closes the window, when they get back to the game the player takes control of an NPC sprite, and can't move outside the 8 tiles directly surrounding that NPC. This doesn't happen at all on most of the houses in the second city, anywhere in the first city, or anywhere on the first route. However, it happens with 2 sprites (a cut tree and a guard) in the second city, and 2 sprites (a guard and Prof. Oak) inside a pokemon school building. Does anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? The same thing destroyed one of my old projects :(

Raizaiel

Years
That change is perfectly normal. The way scripts are written when done by hand (usually) is a simplified form, the form you get is the real form. It looks like your script should run perfectly, though, so it's odd that it doesn't work.

Okay, I tested it myself. I opened a clean Fire Red rom, compiled the script you had, gave the offset to the mom, started up the game and went downstairs and talked to her. She calls me a muffin. And I walk away feeling like a muffin. So the script's fine.

You'll have to figure out what else could be the problem. Double-click the sprite to make sure that script opens up in XSE and that it's really compiled correctly. Make sure that when you open up Batch Compiler you have the correct ROM selected in the first part (I made that mistake and accidently compiled it to my hack at first). Try checking the Person ID. Make sure it's not the same as any other sprite on the map. Try deleting the sprite and inserting a new one and putting the offset # into it.

Yeah how it has changed the script it fine, it says the same thing.

Things to check (aka, silly mistakes I have made in the past):
-> Make sure you are compiling to the right ROM.
-> Check if the offset in A-Map is resetting itself.
-> Use a new person event instead of using a pre-existing person.
-> Change the offset (to something completely different, try 805000) and recompile.

(Basically what metapod said XD Damn I'm slow)

I appreciate everybody responding so quickly and giving me a hand with this :D I'll be checking all of this again in just a second, I just wanted to quickly state my gratitude. I expected to have one possible response maaaybe by tonight, but wasn't counting on it. Thanks again!

::Heads to double-check everything::

EDIT: Alright, got it working! I'm not sure what it was, but I deleted the existing event (a character I had just thrown onto the map), then tethered it to a different character, and wazzam! It was working. I swear I did that earlier. So I'm not sure what it was, but at least I know my scripting (of which I'd say I'm currently lv.2 out of 100) wasn't to blame. Thank you again everybody. I've been fiddling around with a huge metropolitan map between updates, so I even managed to get some work done in the interim period!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back