• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GB Sounds and Gen V/VI style dialogue displays?

Years
  • There's two features I don't know how to add into the game I'm developing. First, I want to return the GB Sounds item for HeartGold and SoulSilver. It will activate a switch of the same name. Problem is, I don't know how to make the background music dependent on a switch. Any ideas?

Also, I want to have the more modern style dialogue displays from Generation V and VI. You know, speech bubbles instead of text boxes. And also perhaps the translucent black battle text box. Is there a way I could do that?

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
    Years
  • I'm not a coder but here is the idea I have right now:
    -name the retro BGMs "XXX_RETRO" (where XXX is the sound name, for example PalletTown_RETRO)
    -create a global switch which can be activated by an item, a NPC, an event... (you'll need to create it too)
    -in the script which plays the BGM (pbBGMPlay I think, I'm not sure, it needs some research), add a condition which checks if the switch is enabled
    -if it's enabled, instead of playing XXX.mid/ogg/mp3/whatever, it should play XXX_RETRO (by adding _RETRO to the file name sent to the script)

Maybe it will work... and you may add a verification to check if the RETRO version exists, and if not just play the default BGM.

Years
  • I would presume that the GB Sounds thing could be done by manipulating the godforsaken Pokégear Radio feature. And for the Speech Bubbles, I would look @ this. Create a new windowskin for the translucent black text box i think. And Oh YEah: Speech Bubble Script: Credits to Carmaniac:

Speech Bubbleshttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295277

Alright, so I did the battle text windowskin. Problem is, since it's black, I need the battle text to be white. Any ideas?

Years
  • I'm not a coder but here is the idea I have right now:
    -name the retro BGMs "XXX_RETRO" (where XXX is the sound name, for example PalletTown_RETRO)
    -create a global switch which can be activated by an item, a NPC, an event... (you'll need to create it too)
    -in the script which plays the BGM (pbBGMPlay I think, I'm not sure, it needs some research), add a condition which checks if the switch is enabled
    -if it's enabled, instead of playing XXX.mid/ogg/mp3/whatever, it should play XXX_RETRO (by adding _RETRO to the file name sent to the script)

Maybe it will work... and you may add a verification to check if the RETRO version exists, and if not just play the default BGM.

OK, so I'm trying to add a GB Sounds item, and set the ID to usable outside of battle, but the "Use" button isn't popping up! I only see "Set Mystery Gift", "Toss", "Register", and "Cancel"!

Also, it seems that in order for your plan to work, you would have to enter another map because the current "nitro" theme is already playing.

I need some help...

Back