• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions regarding partner trainers events

Years
  • Hello, I have a few questions about dependent(Partner) events:

1. Is there a way for us to be able to set the move route for dependent events?
    2. What commands should I add to make the dependent event come back to the same place it used to be. Like for example, I make a dependent event go somewhere else, and I want it to stop following, and return to where it used to be.
    3. Is it possible to make the dependent event follow us until a certain switch is turned off. I'm trying to make a quest system so if the dependent event is following, it indicates we're doing the quest.

Thanks for anyone who replies this. ;)
    P.S: Sorry for the late edit, I was in a rush to go somewhere just now.

Last edited:

LeahB

Le-ha88
    Years
  • I'm not too sure about your first question but I think I can help you with your 3rd question.

To remove the partner with a switch, go into Database and to Common Event. Use one of the blank Common Events and name it what you like. Now, Set "Trigger" to Parallel Process. Set Trigger Switch to whichever Switch you want to use. Call script "pbRemoveDependency2("Trainer Name")" and call script "pbDeregisterPartner". Now, be sure to turn off your switch after the script calls.

[Edit] And after replaying through Essentials demo, I'm pretty sure the partner automatically goes back to where he/she was to begin with.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to give you a better way to do that, but that's the only way I can think of at the moment. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    I'm thinking your first question relates to moving the player and/or another character during an event (e.g. forcibly moving the player when you enter the Lab to get your first Pokémon).

If this is correct, for your event (this is to be done in RPG Maker XP but you probably knew that already):
    1. Double click to create a new line in your script - when the event commands shows up, go to the 2nd page and click "Set Move Route"
    2. A pop-up will appear to create your Move Route - at the top left of that pop-up, there is a drop down box with "Player" set as default. Change this to any character you want.
    3. Create your route, one movement at a time using the buttons provided.

If you're looking to have the player follow an NPC, you will need to complete two move routes - one for the NPC, the other for the player (but make sure that that you don't just repeat the same route for both - if the player collides with something it will mess up the move route).

For the event in general, if it's upon entry to an area or following the activation of a Variable (e.g.the player has chosen a starter), have this event set to Autorun (for one time events, I'd recommend that this event is separate to any other events or characters within the area - and that a self switch is activated so as to not trigger this event again). Otherwise, you're likely to want to have this set to Action Button. If you want a basic example, load up the original RMXP Pokémon Essentials file that you get when you download it and go to the Pokémon Lab in Lappet Town in RMXP - select Event ID 008 (named Controlling Event).

If you're referring to something else, my apologies!

Years
  • To remove the partner with a switch, go into Database and to Common Event. Use one of the blank Common Events and name it what you like. Now, Set "Trigger" to Parallel Process. Set Trigger Switch to whichever Switch you want to use. Call script "pbRemoveDependency2("Trainer Name")" and call script "pbDeregisterPartner". Now, be sure to turn off your switch after the script calls.
    Ah yes, the RMXP common event system, why didn't I think of that? Well, it works now, thanks!
    I'm thinking your first question relates to moving the player and/or another character during an event (e.g. forcibly moving the player when you enter the Lab to get your first Pokémon).

If this is correct, for your event (this is to be done in RPG Maker XP but you probably knew that already):
    1. Double click to create a new line in your script - when the event commands shows up, go to the 2nd page and click "Set Move Route"
    2. A pop-up will appear to create your Move Route - at the top left of that pop-up, there is a drop down box with "Player" set as default. Change this to any character you want.
    3. Create your route, one movement at a time using the buttons provided.

If you're looking to have the player follow an NPC, you will need to complete two move routes - one for the NPC, the other for the player (but make sure that that you don't just repeat the same route for both - if the player collides with something it will mess up the move route).

For the event in general, if it's upon entry to an area or following the activation of a Variable (e.g.the player has chosen a starter), have this event set to Autorun (for one time events, I'd recommend that this event is separate to any other events or characters within the area - and that a self switch is activated so as to not trigger this event again). Otherwise, you're likely to want to have this set to Action Button. If you want a basic example, load up the original RMXP Pokémon Essentials file that you get when you download it and go to the Pokémon Lab in Lappet Town in RMXP - select Event ID 008 (named Controlling Event).

If you're referring to something else, my apologies!
    Thanks for the reply, but I already know how to make move routes in general. What I wanted to know is how move routes are used on a partner trainer when the player has a partner trainer following him/her around.

Back